Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Hobbit (book)
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-20-2004, 04:00 PM   #41
Haradrim
The Official Court Jester of the Entmoot

Did he really see images? That kind of destroys my idea of magic there. I never thought it was like that. I thought you just kind of knew something. You didnt know what you knew but you knew something.
Old 08-20-2004, 04:02 PM   #42
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haradrim
Did he really see images? That kind of destroys my idea of magic there. I never thought it was like that. I thought you just kind of knew something. You didnt know what you knew but you knew something.
Actually, I'm not sure of it myself. It's my guess, consaidering everything I know from the books... maybe they saw images, maybe they didn't - I don't think they saw images, though.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 04:05 PM   #43
Haradrim
The Official Court Jester of the Entmoot

phew well my magical trust has now been reinstated. Thanks Radagast (big hug) Then coughs masuclinely and gets a mug of ale and watches hobbit football.
Old 08-15-2009, 05:18 PM   #44
Thorir Orcbane
Hobbit

Location: Where the shadows of the ancient world still dwell.
Gimli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radagast The Brown View Post
When I think of foresight I don't think he knows everything - not at all. You know only few things, glimpse of things that would happen - like the warning of Aragorn to Gandalf not to get into Moria, or Melian saying to Thingol that a man of Beor's men will get into Doriath. They don't know everthing - when, how, etc. - and sometimes are not sure it will surely hapen.

I do think Gandalf had this talent - he explains it as a feeling, I think it's kind of a foresight. (He explains it in UT)
I think what "gift" Tolkien was trying to give Gandalf was,as being a Maiar, was the gift of imposing his will on people, not by force, but by his "magic'. When you keep arguing w/ someone and you take hold of the situation and adress them with power in your voice, they tend to listen, like training a dog. That is how I see it anyways.

"Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!" - Elendil/Aragorn

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve" - Bilbo

"No, no, no! Who gave the short kid Desert Eagles?"
Thorir Orcbane is offline   Reply With Quote