Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-29-2011, 05:54 AM   #301
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

"Excellent!" Radagast said. "Try to stay out of sight as best as you can. And warn us if they decide to descend into the valley. I don't think they will do so immediately now that Earthshaker has destroyed the slope."

Radagast settled down on his bed-roll not to far from the entrance. He hoped he wasn't making the wrong decision and risk everybody's life by staying in the cave.

An hour or two passed before the vanguard of the army reached the top of the sunken valley. The sound of their approach could be heard well in the cave. The Ultai seemingly milled about above the walls of the valley, undoubtedly setting up camp and looking for the adventurers.

As Radagast predicted, they had a hard time finding a suitable passage down the walls of the valley. Earthshaker had done a good job at destroying the earthern slope which the adventurers had used to descend into the valley earlier. Eventually the sound of hammering and other construction noises could be heard. The Ultai had decided to use the material of some of their siege engines to build an elevator construction that would allow them to access the valley floor.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:19 PM   #302
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

Aelfwine knew it wouldn't be long before they started accessing the valley and finding and advancing into the cave. She listened to the hammering, and a few curses. She imagined a few had mashed their fingers. Aelfwine stood waiting, ready to flee back to the others to warn them of the oncoming Ultai. Although she would never admit it, she was afraid of what they would ultimately do.

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Acalewia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 02:16 AM   #303
Midge
Faithful Gardener

Magor had sat up and watched the scene unfold - Radagast deciding to stay in the cave, the two guards waiting while others rested. He had stayed awake, too excited by the thought of some real action. Not far from him sat Aerin, who was positively gloomy at the idea of having to go through yet another battle. He knew she wasn't happy about fighting, but he also had seen her in battle and knew that she was, as Gandalf had said about Bilbo so long ago, "as fierce as a dragon in a pinch". Though he knew she didn't like battles, he was glad that she would be fighting on their side.

She had leaned back and slept uneasily for a couple of hours. When the Ultai finally made it into the valley, she had awoken to their noises and actually looked frightened. He reached over and patted her shoulder to comfort her. He hoped it did some good.

The noises were getting louder and Aelf was getting jittery near the entrance, he could tell. He got to his feet to see if he could help her steady herself.
Psalm 56:11

"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothin' but the rain, sir!"
"Then grab your gun and bring in the cat."

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Midge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 04:47 AM   #304
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

Nami could sense the unease coming from her fellow guard. Keeping her eyes on the sloops Nami spoke, "Do not worry about the things to come. Worrying will just distract you from the here and now." A quick glance over at Aelfwine and Nami saw her words were not all that helpful! "Im worried too," She said with a wry smile, "but try not to think aboutit, concentrate on whats here now, the future will be here soon enough!" After a moments pause, with Nami looking intently into the distance she added, "It seems we want have to wait too much longer for the future to arrive, that thing they are building is progressing well, although i cant see it carrying may people at one time."

Last edited by feawen : 04-02-2011 at 04:51 AM.
feawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 05:32 AM   #305
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

Barufiniel might have been willing to stand guard as well, if there had been no other volunteers, but she was glad that there were others. To be honest, she was exhausted. She wasn't used to such hard riding. The ride to search for the army had been intense in its own way - fast, but mainly taxing their skills of observance - they needed to be sure they didn't miss the approaching army.

The ride back had been different. Speed was everything then, and she wasn't sure she had ever ridden that fast in all her life. When they were back, as soon as the horses were off and she had made sure that there was nothing more she ought to do other than wait, she had stumbled into the cave and collapsed on the ground, a little way off from where Aerin seemed to be doing the same.

She wasn't sure whether she had slept any or just dozed, but when she heard the noise of the approaching army, her body felt well rested, and she sat up to listen more closely. She looked over at Aerin and saw that Magor seemed to be reassuring her - he seemed to be very alert and ready for action, more than she was herself at the moment. She was rested, she was willing to do her part, but she wasn't craving action - she would prefer to take part in some peaceful diplomacy, if possible.

But for now, there still was nothing to do but to wait - and to listen.

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen

Last edited by Varnafindë : 04-02-2011 at 05:36 AM.
Varnafindë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 03:46 PM   #306
Earniel

Radagast had picked a comfortable spot, leaning with his back against the cave-wall and pulled his hat over his eyes. He gladly took the opportunity to take a rest from all that running around. his spirit might have been ageless, but his body was decidedly old.

He did not sleep however, but occupied the time they had with thinking about their situation and how he was to get everybody out alive and preferably intact. They were in a pickle alright. What worried him also was that Borin nor his wolf had returned. Had they been captured? Or had the army got in the way, preventing them from returning to the cave unseen? With Hedrim's strange behaviour in mind, Radagast had to acknowledge the possibility that Borin may also simply have taken the easiest way out of a tricky situation by using the scouting opportunity to run away, although that seemed rather out of character for any Dwarf.

When the construction noises died down outside, Radagast got up and walked towards the entrance of the cave. Such loud noises were never reassuring for people who lay under siege, but they always became even more ominous the moment they stopped.

"And?," he asked Nami and Aelfwine, who were keeping watch near the entrance while remaining out of sight. "What are our visitors outside up to?"
Old 04-04-2011, 05:14 PM   #307
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

"Well," said Nami as she peered though the haze at the far side of the valley. "Until a moment ago they were building that people mover over there," she indicated the elavator they had made, "now they appear to be just standing about," Nami pointed to the left, "It looks like there are about 6 people standing together talking, one of them looks very shiny, Hedrim maybe? He was always a bit showy!...There is a lot of pointly of fingers by the look of it, maybe they are agruing about who goes first on that thing they have made?" Nami turned towards Radagast, "What do you think they will do?"
Old 04-06-2011, 06:04 AM   #308
Earniel

"Hm, your eyes are better than mine, Nami," Radagast said as he peered into the direction Nami was pointing. "If that is Hedrim he's probably telling them about this very cave we're in. By now they've likely decided that if we're nowhere up there, we must be down here. My guess is that very soon, they'll be sending a few people down here to come and take a look," Radagast said.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:41 AM   #309
Earniel

Radagast proved right. Whatever discussion was going on the higher ground, it soon ended and some people took place on the elevator. Several harnessed horses provided the power needed to lower the platform with the visitors. The newly-built construct groaned but appeared to have been built more sturdy then it looked as it delivered its cargo down safely.

"Aelfwine," Radagast said, "please keep your bow ready in case our visitors decide to do something unfortunate."

Four men purposefully walked across the valley floor. By now even Radagast could identify the shiny figure in front as Hedrim, striding straight and boldly as ever towards the cave entrance. His three companions walked but a step behind him. One of them was obviously an herald, as he carried a standard with the Khagan's personal emblem, a black fire-breathing horse on a green field. The other two looked like regular soldiers but were well armed.

Radagast let them come closer until he could see their faces, then he called out in the Ultai's language: "That is far enough!"

The three Ultai slowed down and stopped immediately. The two soldiers automatically reached for their sword, but stopped themselves when no immediate attack materilised. Hedrim stopped after two more paces, when he noticed he was no longer followed. He did not seem eager to enter the cave all by himself.

"Is that you, Radagast?" Hedrim called back in Westron.

Radagast switched to Westron too so that everyone could understand. "To what do we owe the visit of your friends, Hedrim?" Radagast answered. "I do not recall they were invited."

Hedrim grinned broadly. "I thought we could use some help, wizard. The Khagan was only too willing to be of service."

"I have no doubt of that," Radagast said coolly. "But if we had needed any help from an army, we would have asked ourselves. If you had stuck around just a bit longer you would have noticed we currently have no such needs. Perhaps you can thank your friends on our behalf but remind the Khagan he has a treaty with the Dwarves not to enter the Iron Hills with armed forces. It would be deeply unfortunate if he is to be found in breach of that treaty for our sake."
Old 04-12-2011, 10:57 PM   #310
Acalewia

Aelfwine nodded and placed her arrow. She remained silent as the Ultai approached and was halted by Radagast. She smiled to herself as Hedrim continued on a couple of paces. She watched the exchange between Hedrim and Radagast. Aelfwine was tempted to steal a glance at the Dwarf, but resisted. She needed to keep her eyes on the two guards.

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:54 AM   #311
Earniel

"The Khagan will no doubt be grateful for your concerns about his welfare," Hedrim said, still smiling. "He has come here only to extend an invitation to you all and the Entwives, of course. I have told him of their long and terrible ordeal and he was so moved that he graciously decided to come here and to extend his hospitality to them."

"Ah", muttered Radagast. "Now we're coming to the heart of the matter." He then raised his voice again to answer Hedrim. "A generous offer, I'm sure. But I'm afraid the Entwives are unable to make social calls at the moment. I'm sure the Khagan will excuse them."

"Of course. Of course." Hedrim said hastily. "But this makes for difficult conversation. So come, my friends, and dine with the Khagan tonight. I'm sure he will be deeply interested to hear of your defeat of the Guardian."

"Again, I'm afraid we must decline that invitation," Radagast said with just a hint of sarcasm.

Just for a moment a look of anger passed Hedrim's face. "You cannot stay in there indefinitely!"

"Oh but we can," Radagast called back cheerfully. "Come now, Hedrim, we've traded enough empty words. Speak plainly!"

Hedrim was only taken aback briefly, then he laughed out loud. "Hahah. You're not fooled easily, wizard. Very wel, I shall speak plainly! You know the lands of the Ultai: plains as far as the eye can see. It's a wasted land, with little opportunities to be found. A land where the Ultai cannot settle but must ever roam about to find enough sustenance. Imagine, if you will, if these lands could be made fertile. The Entwives could do it! I've listened to enough of those boring Elven songs to know they can turn this place into gardens, fields and orchards in a blink. Why would you hold them back when there are people here that can benefit from the Entwives' abilities?"

"Benefit!" Radagast cried. "Now you've revealed your true motive, Hedrim! And the Khagan will be prepared to pay anyone who can deliver him Entwives handsomely, is it not?"

Hedrim shrugged. "I see there's no point in denying it. And why should I? There's no shame in being rewarded for a good deed. You know the lives of the Ultai could be improved greatly if they could farm these lands, Radagast. Is that not your purpose? Aiding those in need? Why would you deny the children of the Ultai a stable home and food? Can you be so cruel? And think of the reward, wizard! Yes, I will not deny the Khagan has offered a princely sum for my efforts, but all of you can share in it! All of you! Think of the gold!"

"Spare us your honeyed words!" Radagast boomed. "Oh, I know the Ultai could benefit from fertile lands. Yes, enough to raise walled cities and feed armies to invade other lands. Do not think I am unaware of the Khagan's ambitions! I have not worked so hard to free the Entwives from bondage to deliver them into slavery immediately after! Now run back to your master and tell him our answer is no."

"Aelfwine," Radagast said, turning to the rider next to him, "if Hedrim doesn't turn around, please be so kind to plant an arrow before his feet. This conversation is over."
Old 04-25-2011, 10:35 AM   #312
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

Although Nami did not rise her bow she had it ready should it be needed. She listened as the wizard and the king banded words.As if Hedrim would share even if the fellows wanted his blood gold. None had joined this quest seeking richers. As the converisation draw to an ended and as Aelfwine watched Hedrim and his men, Nami cast her eyes to the army in the distance.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:22 PM   #313
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

When Radagast went to the entrance of the cave, Barufiniel got up, made her bow ready and followed a little behind him. She narrowed her eyes when it turned out that it was indeed Hedrim who was with the Ultai. She listened to his discussion with Radagast.

An invitation to the Entwives to make the Ultai plains into fertile lands? Not such a bad idea, if they chose to do so, Barufiniel thought. Hedrim was probably wrong to think it would happen in a blink, she guessed it would take a lot of work, but if the Entwives chose to do so, they might even enjoy the work - especially if the results were encouraging.

But then she finally realized what Radagast had realized right away. It was not a question of a choice for the Entwives, Hedrim was thinking of selling them into slavery - and of using the company to help him sell them, and share the gold he would get from the Ultai.

For shame! They didn't want his blood money! They had gone on this quest to free the Entwives, not to transfer them to a different kind of slavery!

If she had to fight for their freedom, so be it. Her bow was ready, Radagast had only to command her. But first they had to wait for what Hedrim and the Khagan would do.

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Varnafindë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:40 PM   #314
Acalewia

Aelfwine listened to Radagast and Hedrim. She was appalled to hear that the Northern King wanted them to go back on their word of freeing the Entwives. She would die before she accepted blood money
"Aelfwine, if Hedrim doesn't turn around, please be so kind to plant an arrow before his feet. This conversation is over." The Rohirrim girl aimed her arrow at the ground before Hedrim's feet. He didn't turn around. An arrow planted itself a foot in front of Hedrim. She drew a second arrow, ready if Radagast's order of a warning shot sparked into something more.

Old 04-26-2011, 03:56 PM   #315
Earniel

Hedrim jumped back with a yelp as Aelfwine's arrow burrowed in the ground before his feet, underscoring the end of the conversation. He briskly turned on his heels and marched away, followed by the three Ultai. But at what he considered a safer distance, he turned around again and shook his fist towards the cave.

"Fools!" Hedrim shouted. "Fools following a foolish old man. Think twice before rejecting my offer. I shan't be bothered to repeat it! Or else may your idealism serve you well in your dank little cave when the food runs out!"

Visibly angry, he stalked towards the elevator construction with his companions close behind.

"Well done," Radagast said as he gave Aelfwine a short pat on the shoulder. "But don't waste your second arrow. We may have need of it later".
Old 04-26-2011, 09:48 PM   #316
Acalewia

Aelfwine nodded. She took a deep breath as she watched Hedrim and his guards leave. She wondered why if he planned this when they joined the Ultai or he had this planned the entire Quest. It was a shame he would turn on everyone like this. And Gandalf had trusted him with this? Or did he?

Old 04-27-2011, 01:13 AM   #317
Midge
Faithful Gardener

Magor had waited in the shadows while this exchange took place. He vaguely remembered the arrogant king of the North from when he first joined the company and possibly a hunting trip - but that was long ago. As he stood in the shadows, his hood pulled over his head to hide his features, he wondered what on earth the wizard would do? Of course they couldn't emerge from the cave - it would seem as though they were acquiescing to the Ultai. But then they couldn't stay in the cave forever, either. Siege had not been part of their plans. He waited and wondered.

Blossomshade stood outside of the pit disguised in a grove of trees, watching Hedrim march boldly and ask for the Entwives as slaves. Her anger boiled over at the very thought. Standing still next to Earthshaker, though he was an Ent, she could feel his anger vibrating through the very soil on which they stood. He too was not happy. Giving Earthshaker a look, Blossomshade wondered what they could do to free their companions without surrendering the knowledge that they were there, and not in the relative safety of the cave.

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Old 05-04-2011, 08:59 AM   #318
Earniel

"Well, that was informative," Radagast sighed as he put away his staff and sat down against the cave wall. "Not particularly helpful at the moment, but informative nevertheless."

He pulled out a bone pipe out of his pack and started stuffing it. Gandalf had once taught him the art of pipe-smoking and although Radagast had never grown as fond of it, or as dexterous with it as his old friend, he had to admit it was a useful habit when one had some thinking to do.

Soon, little smokebirds drifted up in the air and gently floated out of the entrance of the cave.

"I take it no-one of us has any doubts left that Hedrim has betrayed us for monetary gain?" Radagast said after a while.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:25 PM   #319
Midge
Faithful Gardener

Aerin picked up her head when Radagast posed what seemed to be a rhetorical question.

"Nope." Then she smiled. "Next time you start a dangerous quest, though, you might consider outlining the aims a little more clearly."

Old 05-05-2011, 06:04 AM   #320
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

Nami sniggered "Wanted: questing fellows who has no desire for gold, fame, glory or enslaving a race!"