Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-18-2011, 05:39 PM   #281
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

The two Elves rode towards the approaching cloud of dust, and soon they could see that as expected, it was an army.

"If we had an army of our own, we might not have needed a very large one," Baru said, only just loud enough for the other to hear. "If can, we should ride all the way past them to get an idea of their number - but I guess those who told us about them weren't far wrong. But first, we need to see what - or who - they are."

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Varnafindë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:46 PM   #282
Midge
Faithful Gardener

Before the army could register that there were two female Elven scouts coming toward them, Aerin and Baru slowed their horses and picked their way through some shrubbery to find a very nice vantage point whereby they could watch the army march toward the mountains.

Aerin stared as they watched whole regiments pass. "Baru," she whispered. "I can fight, but I've no experience with actual war. Tell me, in an us-against-them scenario, are our prospects good?"
Psalm 56:11

"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothin' but the rain, sir!"
"Then grab your gun and bring in the cat."

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Last edited by Midge : 02-23-2011 at 08:47 PM.
Midge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:41 PM   #283
Varnafindë

"I haven't any experience with actual war either," Baru admitted, "although I've had some training - in case we would need to defend Rivendell ...
I've only fought against soldiers once, some three hundred years ago - they were a relatively small group, and my group was even smaller. But we had an experienced warrior in our group - a Rider of Rohan - and it was thanks to him that we won our small battle, even though one of us was killed."

Baru was silent for a moment, thinking about the young woman who had fallen defending her comrades.

"Our current company is larger than my group was then," she said, "but today we are facing an army. The fight on the river showed me that there are some good fighters among us - but most of us aren't exactly experienced warriors.
I don't think our prospects are very good, Aerin. We'd be far better off avoiding that us-against-them scenario - which I believe is exactly what Radagast is trying to do."

Old 02-24-2011, 12:52 PM   #284
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

Aelfwine smiled.
"You should have seen Isengard when they got through with it. They can do damage in a fight, if they feel the need to," She said. Gandalf had told her about the damage and had gone to see for herself when The Riders had answered Gondor's call for aid. She had made sure not to anger an Ent ever since, although their companions were the first Ents she'd ever come across and knew what they were.

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Acalewia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 04:34 PM   #285
Midge
Faithful Gardener

Aerin was quiet as they watched the rest of the army pass. She and Baru noted the kinds of creatures in the army (chiefly men, though there were a few that Aerin had never seen before - no doubt some strange animal from the North, in Hedrim's country) and their numbers. What did surprise Aerin was that these looked more like the people for whom they performed their small circus than the stout, heavily bearded and fur-wearing Northerners that she'd expected. But then, she thought, I've never seen actual Northerners before, except for Hedrim. He being a king may dress quite differently than all the other Northerners.

As the last stragglers passed by, Aerin turned to Baru. "Now we must get back to the Company before that army does, and with enough time to do something about our information."

Magor sat by the others and listened to their conversation of what damage Ents could do. "We are lucky to have two such beings in our midst and on our side," he spoke up. "I imagine that the approaching army is going to be a bit bigger than what they could take on alone, but they will be of great help." With the thought of a possible battle, he decided to go ensure his weapons were as ready as they could be, quiver full and sword sharpened.

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Last edited by Midge : 02-24-2011 at 04:48 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:18 PM   #286
Acalewia

Aelfwine nodded.
"Hopefully, we won't have a major battle on our hands. But if we do have a good fight, I'm glad they are on our side," She checked her quiver and knife for the hundredth time. The waiting was the hardest. She hoped Aerin and Baru hadn't run into any trouble.

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:57 AM   #287
Varnafindë

Baru nodded.

"It rather surprised me that they seem to be Ultai," she said, "I wonder if Radagast might see a reason why they would come after us.
And I wonder if we need to check one more fact - I think I saw Hedrim riding among them, up front! Do we need to check again, or did you see him as well?"

Old 03-01-2011, 05:36 PM   #288
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

The preparations at the cave were almost complete, Radagast saw with satisfaction. And judging by the conversations of his companions, the spirits were high, which would go a long way. He mused again that Gandalf had picked a good team for this job. They had not found the Entwives. Yet, anyway. But they were far closer than anyone before them had even gotten.

If only the approaching army wouldn't cause too much interference.

The wizard looked up to the slope again, any minute the scouts could return. He looked at the canyon. Borin hadn't returned either. Radagast wasn't worried, but he was very eager to learn about what the scouts would have to tell. Then they would be able to plan their next move.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:13 AM   #289
Midge
Faithful Gardener

Aerin and Baru hurried back toward camp. They passed the army (very close, Aerin thought, but that's how she was trained after all) and once they were safely past, they rode at a hard gallop all the way back.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:17 AM   #290
Earniel

Radagast was pleased to see his two scouts returning. Not that he had worried, he had great confidence in their capabilities, but he was pleased to see them again nonetheless.

"Well," he asked them, "have you been able to find anything about the approaching army?"
Old 03-07-2011, 04:15 PM   #291
Varnafindë

"We have indeed," Barufiniel answered, "and we found that the shadow martens were right. There are ten scores of soldiers and three scores of archers, no more than that. They have some siege engines, but not many, and those seem to be just rapidly made, and not with a very long range. As to their identity ..." she glanced at Aerin, who nodded.

Baru went on, "They look like those people we performed for. We think they must be Ultai, even though that doesn't make sense to me - I don't see why they should follow us. But they do.
And another thing: Hedrim is with them. And somebody - we guess Hedrim, but we cannot be sure - has left markers on the ground, pointing this way."

Old 03-11-2011, 06:39 AM   #292
Earniel

"Hm, it's a puzzle, alright," Radagast said, stroking his beard. "Why would the Ultai come here? They're a plains-people and care little for hills and mountains."

Radagast started pacing as he thought out loud. "They're not marching on the Dwarves, they're going the wrong way for that and if they had been planning an attack we would have seen signs of muster at the festival. And our friend Khan Geruth would have at least hinted at it, so it must have been something that was decided on after the festival and our departure. That seems to concur with the fact that their seige engines are rapidly made and the forces are too few to be the entire Ultai army. But that doesn't help us much further so far."

"What puzzles me most is Hedrim. Why did he run off like that? If he is the one to leave those markers on the ground, then he must have known someone was coming before we did. He didn't seem to know the Ultai before we came to the festival, but he did spend a lot of time in the Khagan's tent. Hmm..."

He looked back at Barufiniel and Aerin. "Well done, both of you," he said. "We've sent the horses and mules further into the hill with Haldis and Truor. I suggest you bind the hooves of your horses as well to hide their trail and sent them after the others. Yours is an Elven horse, Barufiniel, it will know where to go and can lead Aerin's."
Old 03-11-2011, 12:20 PM   #293
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

Nami was making her final checks as the riders came back. "Well" she said to Aelfwine as she lended against the cave wall and folded her arms, "it seems we know who now but we are still none the wiser of the hows and the whys. It seems double handed of the Ultai to take us in just to turn on us for no seen reason....Radagast could we not send an envoy to the army?"
feawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 04:48 PM   #294
Acalewia

"I wouldn't think Hedrem's arrogance would have led to this," Aelfwine started. "Or he seeks fame as being the one to find the Entwives and does not wish to share in the deed," She thought a moment as she looked over the others then back to Radagast. "He must have told the Ultai what were were really up to. And perhaps promised them rich rewards," She shook her head. "I just can't understand why he would betray us, if it is him that is doing the betraying,"

Old 03-14-2011, 06:42 AM   #295
Earniel

"We could, Nami," Radagast answered the Elf. "But I would rather not risk it. As long as we don't know what the Ultai want, there's no telling whether they would respect the sanctity of envoy. But if they want to talk, they'll know where to find us."

"As for Hedrim," Radagast said, "I assume we'll learn what he wants when the Ultai arrive. But I cannot fanthom there's any gain to be had in claiming the Entwives' discovery for himself. After all, none but the Ents have shown any desire to go out and look for them all those many centuries. And neither the Ents or the Entwives are exactly wealthy by human standards to reward him for it. But it's clear he has been telling the Ultai something of interest or they wouldn't have come. He has a lot to answer for, that King of the North."
Old 03-19-2011, 01:12 AM   #296
Acalewia

Aelfwine nodded.
"All we really have left to do is wait," she said. Which would be the hardest part.

Old 03-20-2011, 12:47 PM   #297
Varnafindë

Barufiniel listened to Radagast and the others while she and Aerin tended to their horses and bound their hooves. She told Wilvarin to follow the scent where the other horses had gone, and the two horses set off.

Aelfwine was right. All they could do now was wait.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:25 AM   #298
Earniel

"Indeed, Aelfwine, but I'll feel beter waiting from the inside of the cave." Radagast said. "It looks like everything that needed to be done outside here, is done."

Radagast walked to the cave entrance. Some of the adventurers had already gathered inside.

"Radagast," Branwyn said when he saw the wizard approaching, "those shifty creatures aren't exactly happy to share the cave with us."

"Oh," Radagast said, "I nearly forgot all about them. Looks like we'll have to have some words with them."

Most of shadowy rodents had taken up positions around the throne in the furthest end of the pillared cave where Radagast and the others had spoken to the Guardian earlier. They eyed the adventurers warily.

"What are you up to, wizard?" One of them asked suspiciously. "Why have you come back?"
"Considering there is indeed an army coming, this looks like the best place to be." Radagast said.
"But you know whose army it is."
"Ah, you've been eavesdropping, haven't you? It's true that we know who's coming. But it remains to be seen what they've come here for. And for that you will have to suffer us being in these caves a little longer. Unless you would prefer that army to come in here instead?"

The shadow marten didn't answer, but sullenly rejoined his companions.

Radagast sighed. "An approaching army on one side, the shadow martens who don't trust us on the other, and Eru only knows where the Entwives are. Whoever said questing was boring?"

"Well," he said, addressing all. "It won't be too long before the army gets here. We'll put two people at the entrance to watch for their arrival, while the others should get some rest."
Old 03-21-2011, 06:09 PM   #299
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

"I do not mind watching the enterence while the others rest" spoke up Nami, " i have little need or desire to rest, nar a great like of caves."
feawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:50 PM   #300
Acalewia

"I'll stand watch with Nami," Aelfwine volunteered. She was holding her bow as she approached the elf. Nami hadn't spoken much since they'd lost Quickleaf and her own heart was still heavy when she thought of the fallen elf. But she had to push those thoughts away. She had to keep a clear head if she were going to do guard duty.