Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-02-2011, 12:09 AM   #1
Pitchike12
Enting

Nazgul How long did it take you to read TLotR?

Just wondering, considering that over this summer I am planning to attempt reading it once again. I've only ever got halfway through, mainly because I decided to have a good go at it and then a new SW book came out...
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie. -Gandalf

Last edited by Pitchike12 : 02-02-2011 at 12:10 AM.
Pitchike12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 01:31 AM   #2
Alcuin
Salt Miner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchike12 View Post
Just wondering, considering that over this summer I am planning to attempt reading it once again. I've only ever got halfway through, mainly because I decided to have a good go at it and then a new SW book came out...
First time, 3 weeks. Since then, sometimes a week (as in, sick and snowed in and nothing else to do) to much longer, but 3 weeks is about average.

Is it possible to convert this into a poll so we can see the results after a few years?
Alcuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:43 AM   #3
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Four weeks...but only because I had to wait two weeks for someone at the library to return "Return of the King". Longest two weeks of my life.

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 01:40 PM   #4
EllethValatari
Elven Warrior

I'd also say about four weeks. We started reading it at school, at a very slow pace. I got into it very quickly though and finished it on my own before the class even finished FotR. That was a long time ago!
"We have come from God, and inevitably the myths woven by us, though they contain error, will also reflect a splintered fragment of the true light, the eternal truth that is with God. Our myths may be misguided, but they steer however shakily towards the true harbour, while materialistic 'progress' leads only to a yawning abyss and the Iron Crown of the power of evil."
— J.R.R. Tolkien
EllethValatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:26 PM   #5
the insane one
Sapling

When I first read LOTR it felt like months, but then again everything seems to take a long while when you are young.
Laterly I have been able to read the trilogy in 2 weeks, but I still think it is better to take ones time and truly savor the text.

I believe it is more realistic if you reach mount doom after a few weeks of reading, just like frodo. Afteral, Tolkien spent the best part of 10 years on and off to write it, so its a shame to blitz straight through and then dismiss it

"White!" he sneered "It serves as the begining. White cloth may be dyed. The white page may be overwritten; and the white light may be broken."

"in which case is is no longer white" siad I. "And he that breaks something to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom."
the insane one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:39 PM   #6
BeardofPants
the Shrike

First time took awhile because I got stuck on TT, but thereafter, prolly between 2-4 weeks, depending on how prioritised the reading is. I've read it more than 10 times now.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:05 PM   #7
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

I usually take my time, and sometimes have to read in snippets. I tend to stretch it out to a few months.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:26 PM   #8
Beren3000
Fëanorophobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil View Post
I usually take my time, and sometimes have to read in snippets. I tend to stretch it out to a few months.
Same here.
Beren3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:10 AM   #9
Galenavar
Elven Warrior

A month. I was 12 or 13 at the time, I remember reading the trilogy in a month (Two Towers was difficult) and then I checked out the Silmarillion from the school library.

And proceeded to renew it for the next two months as I read it all. The librarian got a kick out of that.
Galenavar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:28 AM   #10
Alcuin
Salt Miner

I was 12 or 13, too. It’s the second half of Two Towers that’s so difficult, particularly the first time through. I thought Frodo’d never get out of that wretched marsh, or through Ithilien, or over the mountains! Not that there weren’t pleasant surprises – Faramir was a pleasant surprise! – and unpleasant ones – Shelob was an unpleasant surprise! And when we returned to that part of the story in Return of the King, it was all exciting until there was mile after mile after mile of Gorgoroth – and then woof! Sammath Naur! It was long ago, but that’s my recollection… Nowadays, it doesn’t seem that way any longer, but back then…
Alcuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:37 AM   #11
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Yes - it's amazing now to realize how few pages there are in Book 6 that describe Frodo and Sam in Mordor!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:42 AM   #12
Serenoli
Head of the Department for the Invention and Propagation of Sugar, Spice and Everything Nice!

My first read: took one day, and I'm not kidding. :P

My brother borrowed it from his school library for me and threatened (jokingly) to return it the very next morning; and I took him seriously, and read furiously from afternoon till 2 am. I still count it as one of my biggest achievements in life

Join the Harry Potter discussion, click here
Serenoli is offline   Reply With Quote