Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-20-2010, 10:36 PM   #1
EllethValatari
Elven Warrior

Does it ever annoy you?

Wanting to affirm my sanity, I'm curious whether this annoys you all:

Does it ever make you mad (or at least want to give a lecture to the person) when someone refers to Tolkien as the author of Lord of the Rings, or discusses the movies rather than the books, etc?

I might just be crazy, but I find myself very defensive of Tolkien, and especially hate it when people consider the Lord of the Rings the only fundamental thing he wrote; just because that set of books is the most popular. Any thoughts? Does this plague anyone else?
"We have come from God, and inevitably the myths woven by us, though they contain error, will also reflect a splintered fragment of the true light, the eternal truth that is with God. Our myths may be misguided, but they steer however shakily towards the true harbour, while materialistic 'progress' leads only to a yawning abyss and the Iron Crown of the power of evil."
— J.R.R. Tolkien
EllethValatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 01:05 AM   #2
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

No.

(I've been informed that this message is too short to be posted, so here I am wasting some electrons- enough, already? OK? So, one more time)

No.

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 07:01 AM   #3
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Not really.

Depending on how they say it, it may annoy me a little, but it doesn't make me mad. It's just the way things are, even I know of certain movies first and only afterwards learn they were based on a book. It happens, Tolkien should be no exception, just because I like his work and knew in this instance the book before the movie.

If people want to discuss the movies instead, or don't care for Tolkien's other work, that is their right.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:27 PM   #4
Coffeehouse
Entmoot Minister of Foreign Affairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllethValatari View Post
Wanting to affirm my sanity, I'm curious whether this annoys you all:

Does it ever make you mad (or at least want to give a lecture to the person) when someone refers to Tolkien as the author of Lord of the Rings, or discusses the movies rather than the books, etc?

I might just be crazy, but I find myself very defensive of Tolkien, and especially hate it when people consider the Lord of the Rings the only fundamental thing he wrote; just because that set of books is the most popular. Any thoughts? Does this plague anyone else?
Life's too short

Rather I like to point out modern-day, 21st-century problems already present in Tolkiens works. F.ex. the destruction of forests by Sarumann and his increasing ignorance of the 'natural world' seems to me to be a really good metaphor for the 20th century (though, it be said, I know Tolkien haaaaates metaphors)
Coffeehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:56 PM   #5
Midge
Faithful Gardener

Technically , he IS the author of the Lord of the Rings and Peter Jackson did make those movies quite popular. When I was in junior high, there was no way I was telling you what J.R.R. Tolkien wrote, or even what the Lord of the Rings was. The movies certainly changed that.

I'm usually excited that people want to talk about Lord of the Rings at all, and really, the movies have been out for such a long time that no one wants to discuss the differences between the movies and the books, or what this event in the books means anymore (at least with me, anyway).

Now I'd definitely want to correct someone if I had the following conversation:

Me and Other Person are having a conversation about the Lord of the Rings.

Me: Hey, have you read The Silmarillion?
Other Person: What's that?
Me: It's another book Tolkien wrote.
Other Person: No, it's not. He ONLY wrote the Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit!

Other Person would be in for some ED-YOU-CASHUN!
Psalm 56:11

"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothin' but the rain, sir!"
"Then grab your gun and bring in the cat."

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Midge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:02 PM   #6
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayMouser View Post
No.

(I've been informed that this message is too short to be posted, so here I am wasting some electrons- enough, already? OK? So, one more time)

No.
I get Errror messages about a mimimum of 3 characters being the absolute Height of De-rigeur Fashion .. all the damned time too...

so filibuster Dear Gray ..and the quote tool are always there for you...

though to be honest i usually just add dots ...

For what its worth.. i rather enjoyed wasting those pesky electrons.... it'll damn well teach 'em to come flying around my Primal soup in future...

Last edited by Butterbeer : 04-22-2010 at 08:06 PM.
Butterbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 12:42 AM   #7
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

OK, to be somewhat less snarky, what else did Tolkien actually write?

The Sil? An posthumous collection of notes and unpublished pieces, many still in a process of revision, with parts written and added by others.

Farmer Giles, Leaf By Niggle- nice, but minor.

His scholarly work?- sure, but he wrote much less than, for example, Lewis and though "The Monster and the Critics" is extremely influential it's hardly the stuff of popular acclaim.

It's like hearing Herman Melville being introduced as the author of "Moby Dick" and saying hey, what about "Billy Budd"?

Or Lewis Carroll being cited for "Alice" and not "The Hunting of the Snark".

Some writers are noted for producing a number of works- Dosteovski, Jane Austen- others for just one or two great books.

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:53 PM   #8
EllethValatari
Elven Warrior

Yes, I see your point. I'm definitely not trying to attack those who are ignorant of his other works, and I understand that many and most authors are known for one major work. Yes, LOTR was Tolkien's biggest work. I think that the word "mad" is a bad choice...I just can't think of another. I merely wish his world, language, and extensive writings could be more prominently enjoyed and discussed.
"We have come from God, and inevitably the myths woven by us, though they contain error, will also reflect a splintered fragment of the true light, the eternal truth that is with God. Our myths may be misguided, but they steer however shakily towards the true harbour, while materialistic 'progress' leads only to a yawning abyss and the Iron Crown of the power of evil."
— J.R.R. Tolkien
EllethValatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 07:21 PM   #9
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

I'm rather Fond of Farmer Giles of Ham ...

Is it truly Great literature? Likely not ... but then is LOTR?

It's all subjective.

(Which i know is rather a cop-out and a rather shady truism to boot .. but well - there you go!)
Butterbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 08:26 PM   #10
Peregrina_Took
Hobbit

Gollum

Hmmm...I've never had a major problem with anything like this. I do get upset when someone starts talking about the movies like they're the final athority, however. Like "I know Legolas never shot a fell beast, because I don't remember seeing that in the movies." or whatever. That gets on my nerves a lot.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:11 PM   #11
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

Why, yes, I go into a bezerker battle axe swinging rage whenever someone does not want to discuss 'Leaf by Niggle' or 'The Homecoming of Beorhtnoth Beorhthelm's Son' with me.
"Mighty are the Ainur, and mightiest among them is Melkor, but that he may know, and all the Ainur, that I am Iluvatar, those things that ye have sung, I will show them forth, ... And thou, Melkor, shalt see that no theme may be played that hath not its uttermost source in me,"
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 06:05 PM   #12
Alcuin
Salt Miner

Quote:
Only if the person is an adult rather than a child, and then only if he’s putting himself forward as “knowledgeable” when assuming that the books follow the movies (like they do in Star Wars, for instance); anything else is an opportunity to talk about Tolkien.

Quote:
...I find myself very defensive of Tolkien, and especially hate it when people consider the Lord of the Rings the only fundamental thing he wrote; just because that set of books is the most popular. Any thoughts? Does this plague anyone else?
No. I haven’t read Tolkien’s philological works, so I can’t hold anyone else accountable for them.
Alcuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 06:53 PM   #13
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcuin View Post
anything else is an opportunity to talk about Tolkien.
I like that sort of thinking.