Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-11-2010, 09:32 AM   #12
slippolives
Sapling

In Moria, what were the Drums in the Deep. i.e., what made the sound?
I like to think it's the orcs communicating with each other, an alarm even, it seems a very good way to let others know that there was some sort of party in the enourmous underground complex. In fact drums are one of the earliest forms of communication and when European expeditions came into the jungles to explore the primeval forests, they were surprised to find that the message of their coming and their intention was carried through the woods a step in advance of their arrival.

And what made the sound of the hammer tapping that Gimli heard?
Well, maybe there was still some communication going on. Also, Middle Earth is a place where undead were common (Wights of the Barrow Down, Dead Men of Dunharrow, Ring Wraiths etc), Moria was massive with milleniums of history, and of course not completely explored, we only see and hear what the Fellowship sees and hears, so the mines and the empty former Khazad-dum dwarven mansions could be full of undead, or other types of creatures that have taken residense inside. Maybe the tapping was some sort of Dwarven ghost or wraith, possibly some rogue orcs that were mining, or an orc that was stationed in that section of the mine tapping out communications with some of the higher up's as a warning that intruders were heading west through the tunnels.

Also in Moria, why did Gandalf tell everyone not to drink any of the water found there?
Ok, the place is full of orcs and who knows what else.. which we find out later like the Watcher in the Water. Pretty good advice I would say. Gandalf had been there before and knew it was a dark foul smelling place with orcs and trolls drinking from and most likely using the water as underground bathrooms.

Last edited by slippolives : 12-12-2010 at 07:24 PM.
slippolives is offline   Reply With Quote