Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > C.S. Lewis
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-01-2008, 12:34 AM   #1
Alcuin
Salt Miner

Narnia secret or BBC B–?

Despite my immense respect for CS Lewis (Mere Christianity, Screwtape Letters, etc.), I have never been able to plow through Narnia.

However, some of you are tremendous Narnia fans. What do you think of this story from the London Daily Telegraph: “Secret theme behind Narnia Chronicles is based upon the stars”. Is there anything to this, do you suppose, or is this just more poppycock from the BBC?
Alcuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 10:39 AM   #2
inked
Elf Lord

Alcuin,
The opening sentence gets the facts about Ward's book correctly:

"Each of the seven children's chronicles is based on one of the seven planets that comprised the heavens in medieval astrology, says a scholar whose theory is examined in the programme."

This not poppycock at all but a seriously advanced literary theory which is well argued and well-supported. I just finished my first reading of the text last week. And I intend to re-read it for its amazing insights.

I have been reading Lewis and Narnia for three and one-half decades. I have read tons of literary criticism on Lewis, favorable and unfavorable, for the insights offered. I have a background which allows me to grasp what Ward is giving consideration to and which allows me to determine if he makes his points.

He does. The apparent mish-mash and randomness of Narnia is resolved into a coherent underlying structure in which Lewis invites one to "look along" a line of sight provided by medieval astronomical/astrological (they were not differentiated as we think of them today) cosmological views rather than just "looking at" such structures. My initial response is that Ward has hit the proverbial nail on the head. Any serious Lewis reader or fan who has read the books multiple times is going to find this work of critical analysis a goldmine of information and insight.

I hope this helps. I will watch for the BBC special and see how accurate it is in relation to the book. Keep us posted on your thoughts and the schedule next spring!
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 06:46 PM   #3
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

I heard an interview with Ward, and yes it was a very convincing theory. Prince Caspian was Mars, IIRC, and not only because of the war theme, but becuase of the trees.

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote