Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-21-2002, 04:51 PM   #1
Churl
Elven Warrior

The Forsaken Inn

Can anyone help me out here? In Fellowship, Book I, a place called "the Forsaken Inn" is said to be a day's journey east of Bree. Aragorn and the Hobbits, of course, bypass it by journeying northeastward through the Midgewater Marshes toward Weathertop.

But back to the inn … does anyone know what led to its "forsakenness?" Did Tolkien write any back-story or notes regarding the inn in The History of Middle Earth, etc.? (Or am I just forgetting some further exposition in Rings?)

As it stands in my mind now — a cryptic, one-time reference — the Forsaken Inn is yet another of the many intriguing, unexplored mysteries in Rings: one more place I wish I could visit. (If only in story … it sounds kind of sinister, actually!)

Last edited by Churl : 01-21-2002 at 04:53 PM.
Churl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2002, 08:59 PM   #2
Menelvagor
Elf Lord

Well, it might just be that the road was so little used, that the inn fell into disrepair. That'de be an interesting thing to figure out, I never really thought about it before.
Menelvagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2002, 09:49 PM   #3
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

I always assumed that was because:

A) It was just an inn, way out in the middle of nowhere. Most ins would have been in or near a town, and had some people around

B) It was what, a week from bree and Two weeks from rivendell?
Old 01-21-2002, 11:40 PM   #4
Churl
Elven Warrior

Hmm. &nbspI could be reading more intrigue into the name than Tolkien ever intended. &nbspIt just sounded rather ominous: "the Forsaken Inn" … as if it had once been frequented, but had been since overrun by something evil. &nbspMaybe not; unless it was described in greater detail elsewhere, I guess we'll never know.

I can't find the exact mention of it in the book, but I'm pretty sure it was only something like a day's journey east of Bree along the Great Road.

Incidentally, here in the U.S., we have the modern equivalent of the Forsaken Inn: it's called Motel 6.

Last edited by Churl : 01-21-2002 at 11:45 PM.
Old 01-22-2002, 07:45 AM   #5
luinilwen
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Churl
Hmm. &nbspI could be reading more intrigue into the name than Tolkien ever intended. &nbspIt just sounded rather ominous: "the Forsaken Inn" … as if it had once been frequented, but had been since overrun by something evil.
cockroaches?

it was probably only forsaken in the "evil days". my guess is people just stopped going there as travelling became less safe and thence less common. and then the cockroaches...
luinilwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2002, 12:32 PM   #6
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

I don't know whether Tolkien meant anything nefarious about the place when he called it the Forsaken Inn. I think it was because the road, as has been mentioned above, had less and less traffic on it over the years, and the Inn being kind of in the country, fell into hard times, but apparently remained open. Who knows, maybe it was an old Arthedainic or Cardolanian tavern...imagine the only real customer base was stingy Dwarves and sporadic visits by Dunedain on their way through the area.

It does seem an intriguing locale, though, and really stirs a bit of mystery as to its originas and business history...
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2002, 02:28 AM   #7
sepulchrave
Enting

the reference to the Forsaken Inn is on pg. 200 of my edition, chapter 11 A Knife in the Dark. I think the place is closed, and has been for a while...
sepulchrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2002, 04:09 AM   #8
Churl
Elven Warrior

I appreciate your thoughts and insights, everyone.

As can be expected here at the Entmoot, my question resulted from my enjoyment of Tolkien's work. Also like many others here I love Tolkien's work as much for the mysteries left tantalizingly vague as I do for the main characters, events and settings. For me at least, this depth makes Middle-earth a much richer fictional place than any other I've visited in books.

Some novels give you the sense that the main characters move through the story on "tracks." In other words, the entire fictional reality seems to follow them around, assembling itself like a cheap sitcom soundstage just long enough for them to say their piece there and move on: they never see any place or talk about anything that doesn't have a direct bearing on the linear plot.

Professor Tolkien's work, thankfully, is nothing like that.

There are enough details, mysteries, and untaken side trips to fill ten books the size of Rings. The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, The History of Middle Earth, et. al. have been prepared for the general public's reading by the author's son Christopher, of course, but sometimes I find that the best "side trips" in Middle-earth are those that even the background material leaves in mystery.

All of these — the enduring enigmas, as well as the sheer volume of poems, ancient tales, and background material that Tolkien wrote over the course of his life — make Middle-earth seem much more like a real place than many other authors' "cardboard" fictional worlds. …Just one of the many reasons we're still talking about Tolkien's work after all these decades, no?

In any case, thank you again for the continued responses to this thread.
Old 01-25-2002, 07:47 PM   #9
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

Instead of taking things literally, It could have been just a name for an Inn, The Prancing Pony doesn't have Ponys that prance does it?
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 08:05 PM   #10
Laurelyn
Elf Lord

Location: Valinor, right next to Telperion . . . what did you expect, Michigan?
Yes, but who would go to an Inn with a gloomy name? That couldn'tve been good for business.

Angel of music, guide and guardian! Grant to me your glory!

The country I eat and spend the day in is by no means the country I sleep and dream in. Define patriotism.

Hold the boat, you spastic monkey! ~ Elenka
Laurelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 08:11 PM   #11
ragamuffin92
Elven Warrior

When you've been travelling through the wilderness for days, weeks or months, I don't think you'd reject a tavern because of it's name--unless it was "The Condemned-by-the-Board-of-Health Inn."

Last edited by ragamuffin92 : 01-25-2002 at 08:12 PM.
ragamuffin92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 08:30 PM   #12
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

But what idiotic person would name their inn The Forsaken Inn? That's not very good for business.
Old 01-25-2002, 08:41 PM   #13
ragamuffin92
Elven Warrior

Well, I guess people who would be fussy about the name of an Inn don't generally wander around the wilderness, so whoever named the place probably didn't worry about that. Personally, I think it's a great name for a place, at least for the times it was placed in. Don't forget that they were dealing with a rugged clientele.
I knew a bar that advertised "stale beer and lousy food," but people realized it was a joke, so it didn't hurt their business. Probably drew some curious new customers, too.
LOL--They couldn't call the Forsaken Inn "Joe's Neighborhood Tavern." Everyone would have thought the owner was a looney.

(sung to the tune of "My Boyfriend's Back")
Now, Gandalf's back, and you're gonna be in trouble
(Hey-la, hey-la---Now, Gandalf's back)
Soon, Barad-dur is gonna be a pile of rubble
Old 01-25-2002, 09:17 PM   #14
Thrain of the Shire
Hobbit

Strider Let's find some romanticism folks...

Forsaken -- ah the images that conjures up. I find it interesting that "The Forsaken Inn" is in the book wheree we get the first hints of Aragorn's feelings for Arwen, of the tension between elves and dwarves, and a huge feeling of past golden times slipping away ineveitably into the mists of the next age...

Forsaken could be a name that "felt" right at that time, for have they not just forsaken safety and the Shire?

Or maybe the owner had just been dumped by a date and was feeling sorry for self when naming the pub.....

And as for Prancing Ponies -- well, I have seen Lipizanners....
Thrain of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 12:41 PM   #15
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Some other names that would be great for business:

1. The Robbed Traveller Inn;
2. Sour Beer And Salmonella Tavern;
3. Syphillis Sally's Massage Parlor and Hostel;
4. Empty Barrel Bar & Grill;
5. The Runny Nose Malt Shoppe;
6. Nazgul Family Credit Union;
7. Sweeny Todd's Barber Shop;
8. Gollum's Day Care;
9. Tom Bombadil Financial Consultants;
10. Enron.

BTW, I wonder when was the last time a green dragon graced the Inn in the Shire... probably about the same time the ponies were prancing in Bree...
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 07:02 PM   #16
Thrain of the Shire
Hobbit

Like the Enron one...

to continue:

- the toad in the hole (literally)
- elronds instant service centre (think about it)
- Gimli's barbers
- Saruman's coffee mornings
- Sauron's special garden centre
- Saruman's jewellry store -- rings resized while u wait!
Thrain of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 07:06 PM   #17
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

ragamuffin, I get the idea that the Inn wasn't in the middle of Nowhere before it was 'Forsaken'. I don't think it was an Inn that was in business, I think it was an Inn that had been forsaken.
Old 01-27-2002, 07:14 PM   #18
ragamuffin92
Elven Warrior

Could be, Inoldonil. To tell the truth, it's such a minor detail in the story that I had forotten about it until I saw the question here. But NOW, I'm going to have to try to find the place where it's mentioned in the FOtR, just to satisfy my curiousity. (grumble, grumble, grumble...)

Old 01-27-2002, 07:23 PM   #19
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

I think it's in the chapter called Strider in Book II. Or else it's in Knife in the Dark.
Old 01-27-2002, 07:52 PM   #20
ragamuffin92
Elven Warrior

It's in "A Knife in the Dark", page 200 in the Houghton-Mifflin revised edition, 1965. The name is written exactly as follows: "the Forsaken Inn,"italicized and capitallized just like that--indicating that it was the actual name of the place, not just a description or a nickname. Since Tolkien said nothing to indicate that it was deserted (and there are no towns anywhere near it on the map), to me that says it was probably still open for business, as a sort of rest stop for travellers on their way to someplace else. No way to tell for sure, tho, and since it has no more to do with the story than the cats of Queen Beruthiel did, I realize why I had forgotten about it.