Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > C.S. Lewis
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-24-2000, 01:17 AM   #1
Gwaihir

C.S. Lewis' "Space Trilogy".

Have any of you read C.S. Lewis' space trilogy? I'm just starting to consider reading it (after glancing through the first few pages of "Out of the Silent Planet") and would like to know other people's thoughts on the series.

David
Old 07-24-2000, 12:27 PM   #2
Film Hobbit

Re: C.S. Lewis' "Space Trilogy".

Is it gearted towards children like so many of his other books or is it more adult oriented?
Old 07-24-2000, 02:05 PM   #3
Gwaihir

It's meant as a sort of "Fantasy for adults", but that doesn't mean kids won't enjoy them. They're much deeper (allegorically I mean) than the Narnia books. I haven't gotten very deep into yet, so I probably shouldn't speak, though.
Old 07-24-2000, 03:50 PM   #4
Finduilas

"Out of the Silent Planet" and "Perelandra" are good, but I didn't care for "That Hideous Strength" at all. (Only reason I own a copy is because HoME 9, Sauron Defeated, has a lot of references to it.)
There is a lot of influence from the Silmarillion in this trilogy though.
Old 07-24-2000, 07:28 PM   #5
Film Hobbit

Hmm, I might check it out then. I loved C.S. Lewis in Elementary and early Junior High School... but now of course his books are to simple at my age... but I would love to read some of his adult stuff.
Old 07-24-2000, 07:59 PM   #6
Gwaihir

TOO SIMPLE?

Obviously you've never read any of his Christian apologetics, just his fantasy. I agree that the Narnia books are simple, but they're children's books, and therefore should be. Try reading "Mere Christianity" or "The Problem of Pain" for a dose of hard core theology! I think you'll change your opinion after that.
Old 07-25-2000, 12:57 PM   #7
Film Hobbit

No, I don't go in for religiously themed reading. It usually just irritates me. But I'll have to check out the "Space Trilogy" I did really used to like Lewis's chronicles of Narnia, he has a relaxing style of writing.
Old 07-25-2000, 06:56 PM   #8
Finduilas

I regularly chuckle over the Screwtape Letters.
Old 07-25-2000, 08:48 PM   #9
Gwaihir

If you don't like theological works that's your decision; my only point was that C.S. Lewis' works aren't all cute little fantasies. There is some deep stuff in there too. The Narnia books and even the Space Trilogy are allegorical works, but I suppose people who don't care for Christianity can look past the allegory if they try hard enough.

David
Old 07-26-2000, 12:53 PM   #10
Film Hobbit

Its not that I don't like chritianity, its just that I don't like when sci-fi fantasy writers, who are supposed to be writing books for pure entertainment try to slip in their own ideas about religion and convince the reader of their view point.

So many authors try and do it to, L.Ron Hubbard being the biggest example of course, but there are others like Robert A. Heinlien... who is one of my favorite authors but it makes me angry whenever I get into one of his books and he tries to distract the reader with his personal views on religion. There are lots of others.

TO me this would equate with a sci-fi writer slipping in campaign slogans for whoever he thinks people should vote for in the next election into his books. They should be embarrased.
Old 07-29-2000, 01:09 AM   #11
Lost in Coruscant

Oh for cryin' out loud...

The Space trilogy is an adult fantasy series, yes, children can read them but it's difficult!

If you don't like the 'religion' references, don't read it. Most Christians decide that God gave them a gift and they use it for His glory, not their own.
Old 07-29-2000, 07:28 PM   #12
clerk

Yes, and of course, Dante's Comedia wouldn't be so ****py if he didn't allow all of that religious contexture to get in the way.
Old 07-30-2000, 03:22 AM   #13
Gwaihir

The Space Trilogy isn't too deep, at least compared with other Lewis books, excluding the Narnia books. I can understand it fine, and I'm fairly young. You have to remember these books were written back during World War II, when literature was much more complex and pulp fiction was almost nonexistent. "The Hobbit" was commonly read by seven year old children when it was first published.....I think it'd be hard to get a seven year old now to read it.

David
Old 07-31-2000, 01:28 PM   #14
Film Hobbit

I think you guys misinterpet my rant. Its not books with religious content that bother me, its books that preport themselves as sci-fi but spend time promoting the authors own personal religious philosiphies instead.
I don't mind if the book includes things about religion, for instance there is a culture in the book with a deep and different religious philosiphy or something, its when it so blatantly is just a platform for the author's own relgious theories. C.S.Lewis' books do this occasionally, however not really as bad as some others do.
Old 08-02-2000, 02:17 AM   #15
cee2lee2

C.S. Lewis's fantasies are "religious" in the sense that his faith infuses and informs all of his writings, even the works that are not apologetics. His fantasies are not merely a platform for getting across a religious point, but I don't think he could write otherwise than from his Christian perspective.

I read the space trilogy years ago for a college class on Christian Lit. I remember staying up all night to read That Hideous Strength, because I found it very disturbing and needed to know the ending.

First came to the Narnia books as an adult,too, and found there was quite enough in them to hold my attention.
Old 09-04-2000, 07:49 PM   #16
Fat middle

currently reading Out of the Silent Planet and enjoying it a lot. Of course there is a christian background if i'm understanding it right, but there are also a bunch of very good thoughts enjoyable for everybody. it seems as a modern Utopia
Old 09-05-2000, 02:11 AM   #17
Elbreth of Carhouth

I love the Space Trilogy, because I think it shows more sides to Christianity than alot of other Christiain author's books. Another good one is Pilgrim's Regress.

As to Christian authors pushing their own religious beliefs into thier books, I can't agree. To most Christians, thier faith is the most important thing in the world to them. It holds joy, hope, peace, and healing. It is of so much importance to them, that it is an inseperable part of them. I say that from experience, for that is how I write my books.
Old 09-24-2000, 08:25 PM   #18
Gilthalion

I have it on the shelf.

But, I've only read it once.

I have some other things he has written. His fiction has far more darkness than Tolkien's! It is densely written, and perhaps it was just me at the time, but I didn't really care a lot for it.

His work is Christian Allegory. It is meant to "slip in" the author's religious views!

Screwtape Letters is great and his apologetics are brilliant!
Old 10-01-2000, 09:50 PM   #19
Elbreth of Carhouth

I've got Screwtape Letters too, quite good. Anyone read Pilgrim's Regress? I liked that one too, another CS Lewis.
Old 06-09-2002, 06:33 PM   #20
Carafin
Elven Warrior

I've read the first 2 in the cosmic trilogy and the screwtape letters, plus some of his short stories. I have to agree his writing does have quite a bit of darkness and can be heavy, but nontheless I enjoy it. My opinion is that you should read the trilogy at some point, but don't force it if it seems too heavy

four be the things I'd be better off without,
love, curiousity, freckles, and doubt
Queen Guinevere?
Though all to ruin fell the world,
And were dissolved and backward hurled,
Unmade into the old abyss,
Yet were its making good for this,
The dusk, the dawn, the earth, the sea,
That Luthien for a time shoud be ~
~Beren: The Song of Parting
Carafin is offline   Reply With Quote