Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-25-2001, 08:10 PM   #1
Musicalmoongrl

Hello, I'm new to this board...

Hi. My name is Luna. I'm new to this board, but I love LOTR. I'm especially excited about Jackson's movies. I have one question about them, however, and I hope that someone on this board can answer it. What exactly is Peter Jackson changing? Thanks!
Luna
Old 03-26-2001, 06:03 AM   #2
Film Hobbit

Re: Hello, I'm new to this board...

Well from what I hear he's changing as little as possible. However some of the biggest things pretty much certain to be changed:

1. Tom Bombadil will not be in the film
2. Arwen's role will somehow be expanded
3. Many if not most of the songs will be left out
Old 03-29-2001, 11:02 PM   #3
bmilder

Hi, welcome to Entmoot .
Old 03-31-2001, 07:49 AM   #4
Inoldonil

Welcome! I hope you enjoy your stay! I myself only drop in every now and than, and I find it very hospitable. It is a renowned community of kindly people, immersed in Tolkien discussion.
Old 04-01-2001, 09:31 PM   #5
Musicalmoongrl

Thanks!

Thanks for replying guys. I'll try to be on as often as possible, but I must warn you that it won't be often. Thanks again, and I'll post more messages later.
Luna
Old 04-02-2001, 02:10 AM   #6
galadriel1

Welcome! Enjoy the board!

Welcome Luna! This is a great, fun board! Nice to meet you.
Old 04-03-2001, 10:23 PM   #7
Musicalmoongrl

Thanks!

It seems like it is, Galadriel1. Thanks for replying!
I'll try to keep posting, but it might not be too often. Say, here's a question that I've been trying to figure out for a while. How many books did Tolkien write in all? I know that he wrote the Sil, the Hobbit, and the LOTR trilogy. There's also Unfinished Tales and such, but how many did he write exactly? I never found out, and thought maybe some of you guys might know. Can anyone help me out? I'd appreciate it. Thanks again!
Luna
Old 04-04-2001, 02:19 AM   #8
Inoldonil

Re: Thanks!

Well, that's not a very simple question. In his lifetime he only published three Middle-earth stories, The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings and The Adventures of Tom Bombadil (although this last isn't one story, but a compilation of many Shire-hobbit songs and verses. Also I believe he did Bilbo's Last Song, with another individual). The Lord of the Rings is not a trilogy, it was not originally intended to be published in three volumes, and each volume is not self-contained. I mean, you can't read one without reading the others, because the story would than be incomplete. It is an epic, comprised of six Books, and Appendices. He's published other books, which is what you asked, but I assume you only mean Middle-earth related. Otherwise there is Roverandom, Smith of Wooten Major and Farmer Giles of Ham, to name a few.

As for the rest of the Tolkien books: The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales and The History of Middle-earth series (The Book of Lost Tales I, The Book of Lost Tales II, The Lays of Beleriand, The Shaping of Middle-earth, The Lost Road and Other Writings, The Return of the Shadow, The Treason of Isengard, The War of the Ring, Sauron Defeated, Morgoth's Ring, The War of the Jewels and The Peoples of Middle-earth), they were published after the death of J.R.R. Tolkien by his son Christopher. The Silmarillion is not nearly what it would have been had Tolkien been able to finish (revise) it. Unfinished Tales (true to its name) comprised tales by Tolkien that were left unfinished, or in some cases, essays. But they are still very informative, and enjoyable (_I_ think). The Book of Lost Tales-The Shaping of Middle-earth is the history of how Tolkien came to write the old Silmarillion, which is an entirely different mythology than everything else. The Lost Road and Other Writings are 'in-between' stuff, but mostly the Atlantis (Numenore) legend (the history of how it came about). The Return of the Shadow-Sauron Defeated is the history of how Tolkien came to write the old Lord of the Rings, again quite different from anything else. Morgoth's Ring and The War of the Jewels show the reader the incomplete and difficult writings of J.R.R. Tolkien, from which Christopher Tolkien put together The Silmarillion--mainly to please fans.

The Peoples of Middle-earth makes up more of unfinished tales and essays, or simply some writings that have never seen the light of day, and also the early versions of the Appendices, and material for whatever reasons (sometimes simply because they were lost with the extreme haste the Appendices had to be put together) didn't make it into the back of The Return of the King (or The End of the Third Age, depending on what kind of an edition you've got).

This is slightly inaccurate, but I in a bit of haste myself.

So I believe there are 18 Middle-earth 'books' (counting the Lord of the Rings as one, instead of six). Is that what you wanted to know?
Old 04-17-2001, 05:44 PM   #9
Musicalmoongrl

Indeed, it WAS what I wanted to know...

Thank you SOOO much Inoldonil! That was, indeed, what I wanted to know. I was interested in more works of Tolkien's pertaining to Middle Earth, but no one around my community could help. You've given me more info than I hoped for! I really thought my Library would have something, but he's a rare fellow there...
Thanks again. I'll try to be here as often as I can, but it probably won't be that often. Until I post once more...
Luna
Old 04-17-2001, 08:14 PM   #10
galadriel1

Re: Indeed, it WAS what I wanted to know...

Yep, moongirl, it IS a fun board! DO stop back. It`s a great crew here. As you can see, everyone is so nice and helpful. It`s my favorite ezboard and Tolkien board. I can`t say that enough! And definitely check out some of those other books. They`re excellent! I have all of those mentioned. I`m HUGE Tolkien fan! Good Journeys to you and DO stop back. Great to have you `round the board, Luna!
Old 04-18-2001, 12:27 AM   #11
Inoldonil

Re: Indeed, it WAS what I wanted to know...

You're very welcome! If your libraries don't have it, see if you can have them ship it in! The Lord of the Rings has sold more copies world-wide than all others, except the Bible. If they don't have the Middle-earth resources, they aught to!
Old 04-18-2001, 05:30 PM   #12
Musicalmoongrl

Hahahah!

Thanks for EVERYTHING guys! I'm glad to have found such a fun place! I'll ask my library what's going on Inoldonil. If they can get it, I'll check it out. I'm going there today as a matter of fact....
Thanks again, and I'll try to stick around. You might only see me once a month, as school is still in session and things are a bit crazy. I've been lucky in the fact that there's been an advantage the past couple of days to get a computer in school and talk to you guys. BUT.... I'll DEFINITELY be on as often as possible. Thanks for everything...
Luna
Old 05-09-2001, 05:48 PM   #13
Musicalmoongrl

Hey! Long time...

Hey everyone! Long time no post for me...
How's everyone? Anything new I should know about? Hoep to hear from one of you peoples soon!
Luna
Old 05-09-2001, 06:00 PM   #14
Idril Celebrindal

Re: Hey! Long time...

hey
well... I really have nothing to say...
never mind. I'm sure someone else will have...
Old 05-16-2001, 05:09 PM   #15
Musicalmoongrl

Hahaha!

Hey! Interesting little reply there Celebrindil!
Thanks a LOT! Anything else from you I ought to know? (No one's said anything besides you... ) ANYWAY....
Hope to hear from you soon!
Luna
Old 05-16-2001, 10:11 PM   #16
Film Hobbit

Re: Hahaha!

Well one thing that you should know is that I'm incredibly handsome.
Old 05-16-2001, 11:12 PM   #17
Inoldonil

You know, it's kinda funny really, FM, I was thinking the same thing - about me.

I am sorry Luna, I was going to respond but I was rather busy and I put it aside temporarily, only to forget about coming back here. Now I have found that I don't have anything to say. Save that I look better than Film Hobbit, who is rather scabbish (I hear).
Old 05-20-2001, 04:31 PM   #18
Idril Celebrindal

ok... this thread is going nowhere fast...
Old 05-21-2001, 12:27 AM   #19
Film Hobbit

I beg to differ. Its about time we had an in depth discussion about my beauty, charm, and incredible writing prowess!

So often true treasures such as myself are neglected and forgotten, it never hurts to stop and examine perfection.

(I think I'm making myself ill)
Old 05-21-2001, 05:19 PM   #20
Musicalmoongrl

Heheheheh!

You are REALLY making my day! Thanks for replying Inoldonil. Hope that you get a chance to get on here more often! Does anyone have anything about the LOTR MOVIE (Emphasis on MOVIE...) that I should know about? I'm DYING to see it, but it's been kinda quiet lately. Anyone? Well, hope to hear from you soon. Also, if anyone has the urge to just blab about what they feel towards Tolkien's books I'd be VERY much obliged to hear what they have to say. I have no one here where I live to talk to, save people on the internet. (Now you know the reason I'm on this board... ) If anyone else is in the same predicament, I'd gladly talk with them. (Hope I'm not sounding too corny... :{ ) ANYWAY.... Hope you're all having fun and hope to hear from you soon!
Luna