Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion > The Silmarillion Project
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-17-2003, 04:08 PM   #1
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

I'll add you to the list for two chapters.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 10:49 AM   #2
Inderjit Sanghera
Elven Warrior

Thanks!

Last edited by Inderjit Sanghera : 02-18-2003 at 10:59 AM.
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 02:35 PM   #3
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Now that all the chapters have been assigned with names and dates on the first post of this thread, I will unstick the thread that listed dates only.

Thanks everyone for your participation.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 02-19-2003, 06:45 PM   #4
Ruinel
Banned

Arwen Undomiel Sil reading assmt

Maedros,
What is "HOME"?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

PHP Code:
HowdyLuthien
just seeing what this does
Quote:
happy are those who live a life learning what they thought they knew
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 07:49 PM   #5
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Re: Sil reading assmt

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
Maedros,
What is "HOME"?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

PHP Code:
HowdyLuthien
just seeing what this does
HoMe stands for the Histories of Middle-earth series, which consists of 12 volumes.

Welcome to the Forums Ruinel

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 02-19-2003, 08:29 PM   #6
Ruinel
Banned

HoME

Thanks for clarifying HoME to me. And your friendly welcome.

I have not ordered any of these books. I have the Sil, Unfinished Tales of Num & ME, (the Hobbit, of course) and the 3 volume set of LotR. I have also read Vol 1 & 2 of the Book of Lost Tales. Would you recommend these 12 books (Histories of Middle Earth series)? Will I find new information that was left out of the others? Will it enhance my knowlege of Tolkien's works?
Old 02-19-2003, 08:38 PM   #7
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Re: HoME

Quote:

I have not ordered any of these books. I have the Sil, Unfinished Tales of Num & ME, (the Hobbit, of course) and the 3 volume set of LotR. I have also read Vol 1 & 2 of the Book of Lost Tales. Would you recommend these 12 books (Histories of Middle Earth series)? Will I find new information that was left out of the others? Will it enhance my knowlege of Tolkien's works?
Well, you all ready have the first two volumes which is BoLts. The HoMe series is a must for any devoted Tolkien fan. You will find a great deal of information on Tolkien's world, its developement, and learn the changes that took place as Tolkien progressed in his life. They are loaded with notes and commentaries by Christopher, along with the corrections he made to mistakes that were in the Silmarillion. I have found Morgoth's Ring, volume 10 to be the most enjoyable so far. There are also some stories in the HoMe that you won't find anywhere else. A great series of books worth the money.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 02-20-2003, 10:14 AM   #8
Inderjit Sanghera
Elven Warrior

Re: HoME

Quote:

BoLT (1-2) Early Mythologies, and basis for the Quenta Silmarillion. You could call itTolkien's soon (ish) abandoned legendarium for England. Cottage of last play and Fall of Gondolin stand out.

HoME 3-Lays-Poems on Luthein and Hurins and his family,m I beleive. Never read it.

HoME 4-5 Tolkien's early Silmarilllion work. Some great maps of early Arda in HoME 4 and some Etymolgogies in HoME 5.

HoME 6-9 Early draftings on LoTR. Only read 6, and it shows how significant the improvments in Tolkien's masterpiece have been. Great read.

HoME 10-11. The Silmarillion, as far as Tolkien wrote it. Great philopsopical essays, in form of 'Athrabeth Firnod ah Andreth' and 'Myths Transformed', with the 'Annals of Valinor and 'Grey Annals' thrown in.

HoME 12- Absolutley brilliant 'Shibboleth of Feanor' and 'Tal-Elmar', with some work on the appendicies of LoTR thrown in.

HoME 13-An appendix of names, I believe. Recently released.

My personal faves. are the last three.

Yes, you will GREATLY inhance your knowledge of Tolkien's work, and they are a interesting read. (If your obsessive, that is.)
Old 02-20-2003, 10:29 AM   #9
Ruinel
Banned

Tolkien Rox

Quote:
Yes, you will GREATLY inhance your knowledge of Tolkien's work, and they are a interesting read. (If your obsessive, that is.)
I don't know if I am "obsessive". If you could say that I feel that reading Tolkien's works has made an impression me. That he created a world that I sincerely wished was real and that I could live in (I'd most definitely have taken Elrond's choice over Elros'). That I don't feel like I will ever be the same since I first read my first Tolkien book. That his books could be heroin and I am addicted. Hmmm, is that obsessive?

I will look into these books you recommended.
Thanks.
Old 02-20-2003, 02:35 PM   #10
Inderjit Sanghera
Elven Warrior

Re: Tolkien Rox

Quote:
I don't know if I am "obsessive". If you could say that I feel that reading Tolkien's works has made an impression me. That he created a world that I sincerely wished was real and that I could live in (I'd most definitely have taken Elrond's choice over Elros'). That I don't feel like I will ever be the same since I first read my first Tolkien book. That his books could be heroin and I am addicted. Hmmm, is that obsessive?

I will look into these books you recommended.
Thanks.
It sounds like you are catching the bug....

I too wish it was real. But hey-you never know.

Last edited by Inderjit Sanghera : 02-20-2003 at 02:37 PM.
Old 02-20-2003, 03:35 PM   #11
Ruinel
Banned

Inderjit Sanghera,
I have had this "bug" for ages upon ages. I am happy that PJ made the movies based upon the tales. More people have this "bug" and I can share my enthusiasm for the works.
Old 03-26-2003, 08:34 PM   #12
Fimbrethil
My microwave speaks to me

Location: Having conversations with my major household appliances.
Are there any more chapters? I'd like one if that's possible.
Yes sir, yes sir. Three bags full.

I'll be gone for a while. But never fear! "I shall return anon!"
Fimbrethil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 09:17 PM   #13
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Fimbrethil
Are there any more chapters? I'd like one if that's possible.
Aw, right now they are all taken, but you may get an opportunity at some point. We just re-assigned chapter five because the person that it was originally assigned to apparently hasn't been on the board for some time, and failed to post his/her intro. I am sure that this possibly, and probably will happen again. In a project like this that lasts for as long as this one is scheduled to last, I am sure that not all who have requested a chapter are going to be able to hold to the commitment.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 08-30-2003, 12:46 AM   #14
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Any chance I can sneak in and steal 23. Of Tuor and the Fall of Gondolin?

If so I'd like to incorporate the Unfinished Tales version (longer and better) into it
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2003, 12:40 PM   #15
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Dúnedain
Any chance I can sneak in and steal 23. Of Tuor and the Fall of Gondolin?

If so I'd like to incorporate the Unfinished Tales version (longer and better) into it
As of now, chapter 23 is assigned to Maedhros. We have had to do some re-assignments within the project though. I am pretty sure that Maedhros will do that chapter when the time comes, since it is his project.

If you aren't picky, and would like to do a chapter, the chapter of Beren and Luthien is available. One of the most important if not the most important chapter in the book.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 08-30-2003, 01:30 PM   #16
Maedhros
The Tall

Quote:
As of now, chapter 23 is assigned to Maedhros. We have had to do some re-assignments within the project though. I am pretty sure that Maedhros will do that chapter when the time comes, since it is his project.
I would never say that it is my project. I just came up with an idea. I like to think that it is a forum project. I have been unable to participate in some of the chapters discussions because of my increasing work related functions. This is a project for the people who participate and the ones who actually do the research for the intros in the chapters.

Yes I will. I have not only incorporated the part Of Tuor and his coming to Gondolin, but the Tale of the Fall of Gondolin, into a single cohesive narrative. I think that it reads good, it is still in the process of revision of course.
There is also included the Alliterative version of the Lay of Eärendel and the Horns of Ylmir in there too.
Although I'm not due to make the chapter of the Ruin of Doriath, I have also begun creating a more true version of it, than the one in the Published Silmarillion. I have given my draft to Artanis and Inder to see what do they think.
2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
As a noun American is:
A native or inhabitant of America.
A citizen of the United States.

Then the boy asked, “What is America then?”, and the wise man looked at the dictionary again:
1. The United States.
2. also the A·mer·i·cas. The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.

Confused, the boy asked, “Does the term american refers solely to a us citizen or to any person in North, Central or South America?”
The wise man replied: “What do you think?”, and the boy answered: “It is clear to me that while the term american is used to refers to us citizens, one can also use it to refer to any person who is from that continent too,” the boy thought for a while and asked the wise man, “Am I right?”, and he replied: “But of course.”
The boy wondered, why is it that some people refuse to acknowledge the fact that the term american refers not only to US citizens but to anyone of the American continent?, but then sadly, the boy understood, that it is the calamity of ignorance.

Last edited by Maedhros : 08-31-2003 at 02:04 AM.
Maedhros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2003, 03:12 PM   #17
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

I look forward to read both
Old 10-02-2003, 10:30 PM   #18
azalea
Long lost mooter

I just wanted to bring it to the attention of the group that Inderjit Sanghera hasn't been around lately that I've seen, and his ch. was to be posted today. Do you think that if tomorrow comes and goes w/out his post, it should be reassigned? I know a couple of people had asked to do a ch. in the reassignment thread (Sween and someone else).
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 11:01 PM   #19
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by azalea
I just wanted to bring it to the attention of the group that Inderjit Sanghera hasn't been around lately that I've seen, and his ch. was to be posted today. Do you think that if tomorrow comes and goes w/out his post, it should be reassigned? I know a couple of people had asked to do a ch. in the re-assignment thread (Sween and someone else).
Yes, I think come tomorrow it should be reassigned. The project is so long, that we can't wait too very long with late intros, so If Inderjit doesn't post between now and, say noon EST, this chapter will be available for re-assignment..

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 12-28-2003, 11:27 AM   #20
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

Gandalf

Chapter 18 to be posted this afternoon or early evening (Dec 28, CST) unless I hear differently from Sister Golden Hair.
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote