Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion > The Silmarillion Project
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-18-2018, 08:30 AM   #1
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

This chapter really reminded me how Fëanor and his sons really are poor leadership material. While Maedhros' initiative is laudable, he goes about it again rather poorly. Not in the least by driving away the potential allies of Doriath just when he is starting to gather forces. Everything they do is for selfish reasons, nowhere in their actions can I see something for the good of his people. Sometimes I feel the Oath is just an excuse to misbehave.

I was wondering what influence Uldor must have had over Maedhros to keep him from fighting for four days, even while by then the fact that Fingon had engaged the enemy and the failure of their previous strategy must have been obvious. But then I thought that Maedhros probably didn't have too many Eldar still following him, after the losses from the Dagor Bragollach and the poor conduct of his brothers, and that for any significant number of troops he had no other choice than to rely heavily on Men.

The one good call he made was involving the Dwarves. It's a shame that none of the other Eldar could apparently see their worth. They saw off Glaurung in a way none of the Eldar could have matched.

Although I judge the loss of Doriath's forces in this endeavour is not just at the Sons of Fëanor's door. Thingol has a lot to answer for as well. I can understand not wanting to yield anything after the Fëanoreans rather rude and tactless demand, but Melian did counsel him to give up the silmaril and she had never failed him yet. He ignored her advise for similar selfish reasons and look where it would get him, and the rest of Doriath, for that matter.

Interesting though, that from the Falas under Cirdan, forces were sent. Considering Cirdan had recognized Thingol as lord before the arrival of the Noldor, one would expect Cirdan receiving orders from Thingol to abstain from the fight. But this doesn't seem the case. I wonder whether the Falas gained more independance when Doriath closed it borders and Finrod's realm was established between that of Thingol and Cirdan.
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote