Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-10-2002, 10:09 PM   #1
kennebecc
Hobbit

Pippin at the Black Gate

Pippin's antics throughout all three books certainly caused Gandalf
and the others a fair amount of stress. Certainly, his early behavior was humorous, especially in FOTR, but as time progressed his behavior became a hazard to not only to himself but others.

Pippin did realize that his behavior was not always appropriate, and there was somewhat of a redemption for him when he saved Farimir's life. However, I've always wondered about Gandalf's disapproval of that 'Fool of a Took'. Wasn't the WitchKing rising, at the same moment that Pippin was pleading for Gandalf to come and save Farimir. Gandalf had to make a choice between stopping Denethor, or going after the WitchKing. In the book, Gandalf seems to regretfully go with Pippin. Faramir is saved, but the WitchKing kills Theoden, and gravely wounds Eowyn and Merry. Please forgive me if the events are off a bit, it's been awhile since I read the ROTK. I always got the impression that Gandalf did not like Pippin too much, not only from the above event, but for the one that occured at the Black Gate.

Pippin, along with the remainder of the Fellowship, and the armies travel to the Black Gate. There they are surrounded by Sauron's armies. The Mouth of Sauron brings out Sam's sword, a grey cloak with an elven-brooch, and the coat of mithril. Pippin, who is just a hobbit, not a warrior, is justifiably startled, and genuinely grief stricken. Of course, his outburst alerts the Mouth of Sauron that Gandalf and company know who the items belong to. After some amount of discussion, Gandalf makes a decision to take the clothes in memory of their comrade. Pippin is devastated.
As readers we can probably surmise that Gandalf has noticed that there is no mention of the Ring, nor any evidence that Sauron now posesses the Ring. But, what of Pippin . . . maybe Gandalf didn't have time since they were surrounded, but why didn't he speak to Pippin, and give him some hope that not all was lost?

Pippin goes into battle, crushed with horror, and thinking that it would be best for him to die soon. I have always thought that was terribly harsh, even though he proves valiant against the troll. (how many of us had a smirk that Pippin's demise might come from being squashed by a troll? Tolkien did have a sense of humor).

I don't know if you can really say Gandalf mistreated Pippin, since Pippin usually deserved what happened to him, but the scene at the Black Gate has always bothered me a bit. Anyone else ever feel that way?
kennebecc is offline   Reply With Quote