Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-06-2000, 02:41 PM   #1
captain Tarpols

a question about Ringwraiths

this may seem silly, but i'm only on chapter 7!!

ok how come Frodo didn't know that the "black riders" weren't the ringwraiths? Gandalf told him about them. How that there are 9 of them and that they were the mortal men that got the rings. How could frodo not relize who they were? Also this question has nothing to do with this thread: How did Smeagol turn into a grey slimy creature? I mean i look up at that icon and that doesn't look like a hobbit creature, like gollum once was, does that mean that if frodo wears it long enough that he would look like him?

Old 07-06-2000, 03:34 PM   #2
Darth Tater

Re: a question about Ringwraiths

1. He was scared. And I doubt he'd realize or suspect that such evil could enter the shire.
2. Keep reading.
Old 07-06-2000, 03:38 PM   #3
bmilder

Well... uh, Gandalf didn't tell him what they looked like, and he was scared. He found out they were the Nazgul later, of course.

Gollum was a far ancestor of the hobbit species, and he had been living in a dark cave with no light for hundreds of years.
Old 07-06-2000, 03:39 PM   #4
captain Tarpols

gee, that helps . I already know what happens at the end. Ben did read me lotr about 5 years ago thanks for replying to my first thread in this forum!
Old 07-06-2000, 04:06 PM   #5
Eruve

At the time Frodo was being pursued in the Shire, he didn't know how many of them there were. At one point he isn't sure whether he's crossed paths with two or the same one twice. You'll see later when the hobbits meet up with Strider that Frodo doesn't know what's chasing him, because Strider will fill him in on a few details. Also Gandalf couldn't have given a full physical description of the Ringwraiths, since they could appear in different guises.

As for your other question, as others have said, if you keep reading you'll come upon the answer.
Old 07-06-2000, 04:19 PM   #6
RKittle

Frodo may have almost made the connection with the Black Rider and the Ringwraiths, but terror at the very idea likely drove the actual realization from his mind. Gildor was certainly no help with his dark hints and non-advice.
Old 07-06-2000, 06:39 PM   #7
HOBBIT

thanks! all of your answers help.
Old 07-07-2000, 12:26 AM   #8
Darth Tater

Watch out Tristan, you may confuse all the new members by having one conversation using two names!
Old 07-07-2000, 02:29 AM   #9
galpsi

Kittle said:
Quote:
Gildor was certainly no help with his dark hints and non-advice.
Go not to the elves for help, for they will give you both dark hints and non-advice.
Old 07-07-2000, 10:10 AM   #10
noldo

Hehehe...

Quote:
...but i'm only on chapter 7!!!
Ok, that does it!

I have to read it again.

The Fellowship... M-m-mmm.
Old 06-12-2001, 07:13 PM   #11
ladyisme

Frodo does not know anything about the riders until he meets with Strider. He can't be sure of exactly who or what they are or how many their might be. He suspects that they come from Mordor but he can't be totally sure. Frodo knows only one thing for sure at this point and that is that the riders are terrifying.

"The road goes ever on and on down from the door where it began."
Old 06-13-2001, 06:27 PM   #12
Inoldonil

ladyisme, Gandalf did tell him about them, but that was 17 years before he saw them, in a single conversation clouded with many other important matters, and as others have noted he had no way of knowing what they looked like.
Old 06-13-2001, 07:03 PM   #13
Morkhon

Yea, and as said before, he probably had to idea that such evil could enter the Shire itself at that point.