Old 08-26-2003, 01:33 PM   #22
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Sween
finrods a pretty boy loser
SGH and Ruinel will be mad at you now

I think I've somewhat made up my mind of which place is the best. When it comes to visiting, I'd most of all like to visit Gondolin. Gondolin must have been a great city for a tourist with lots of tourist attractions.

But I wouldn't want to live in a city which is that remote and isolated as Gondolin, even though I'd love to live in a city. But since there doesn't seem to have been many good cities around in Beleriand, I guess the best place for me to live would probably be Doriath. Finrod and his Nargothrond will have to excuse, but I couldn't live in a cave no matter how fantastic it was. I'd rather live in the woods of Thingol's kingdom, where I would be able to see the sun and some vegetation
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 01:49 PM   #23
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Sween
finrods a pretty boy loser
Jealous! You should live to be so pretty.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 02:40 PM   #24
Sween
im quite stupid

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
Jealous! You should live to be so pretty.
Im handsome i have vita to look all pretty! I just dont suit skirts no matter how much i love them
Old 08-26-2003, 03:02 PM   #25
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I don't know quite why, but Gondolin has always enchanted me ...

*imagines living there with Tuor the noble, the valiant, the stud-muffin*

*realizes that this might look a little weird, since her Entmoot name is the name of Tuor's MOTHER*

OK, people, I chose "R*an" for my Moot name because I liked how it looked and sounded, not because she was Tuor's mom!

I think that people generally think of the city when thinking of Gondolin, but there are beautiful non-city parts, too.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 08-26-2003 at 03:06 PM.
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 03:05 PM   #26
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I had forgotten about Nan-tathren - that must have been a very beautiful place to make Voronwë forget about the sea ...

"in the fair fields of Nan-tathren, where the spring is sweeter than heart's desire."

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 12:22 PM   #27
Sween
im quite stupid

Gondolins kinda the most fantastic image of a place ever. In Encircling hills hidden from the world tall and white and beautiful. Of all the storys of the Silmarillion i have to say if i could see one battle broiught to life it would be that the desperate defence of the best city this side of the great sea .

Still give me safty anyday
Old 08-29-2003, 02:28 PM   #28
Elvellon
Elf Lord

Probably Menegroth, mostly due to Doriath, (I would want to see that forest). But Nargothrond would be a good second choice (a learning centre as it was) . Gondolin, being an enclosed city would be a nice place to visit, but since it doesn’t have the wood expanses of elsewhere, and since one cannot leave, it doesn’t have the appeal other places have (to me).

Reality is just an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

The Caffeine Mantra
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the juice of Brazil that the thoughts aquire speed,
The hands aquire shaking,
the shaking becomes a warning.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion...

Elvellon Erelion
Elvellon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 11:02 AM   #29
Maedhros
The Tall

Of course Gondolin is the most beautiful place in Middle-Earth. I wonder how Dor Firn-i-Guinar , the Land of the Death that live, would compare with the other places, especially when Lúthien wore the Nauglam*r:
From the Sil:
Quote:
but it is said and sung that Lúthien wearing that necklace and that immortal jewel was the vision of greatest beauty and glory that has ever been outside the realm of Valinor; and for a little while the Land of the Dead that Live became like a vision of the land of the Valar, and no place has been since so fair, so fruitful, or so filled with light.
Nevertheless, the place that I would most like to visit would be:

And it was said to him that this was Mar Vanwa Tyaliéva, or the Cottage of Lost Play, and at that name he wondered greatly.

I know that this place is outside of Beleriand and outside of Tolkien's later legendarium, but it is a place of great beauty and hope. While the other great elf kingdoms of Beleriand, could have been way more beautiful, there were always under the assault of Morgoth. I don't think that neither kingdom in ME could be truly happy with the overpowering presence of him, and also, there was not that mixture of elves and men in them. For example it didn't exist in Nargothrond, Gondolin or Menegroth. In contrast, the Cootage of Lost Play, being an early conception was a place in where both Men and Elves could live side by side in harmony and peace. A place where there was an integration never to be seen again. It was truly the Cottage of Lost Play where no Play was lost.
2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
As a noun American is:
A native or inhabitant of America.
A citizen of the United States.

Then the boy asked, “What is America then?”, and the wise man looked at the dictionary again:
1. The United States.
2. also the A·mer·i·cas. The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.

Confused, the boy asked, “Does the term american refers solely to a us citizen or to any person in North, Central or South America?”
The wise man replied: “What do you think?”, and the boy answered: “It is clear to me that while the term american is used to refers to us citizens, one can also use it to refer to any person who is from that continent too,” the boy thought for a while and asked the wise man, “Am I right?”, and he replied: “But of course.”
The boy wondered, why is it that some people refuse to acknowledge the fact that the term american refers not only to US citizens but to anyone of the American continent?, but then sadly, the boy understood, that it is the calamity of ignorance.
Maedhros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 01:05 PM   #30
Tuor of Gondolin
Elf Lord

For an elf---(if not in Turgon's crowd) The willow reeds of Nan-Tathren

For a human--- (if not one of the three classy people allowed in Gondolin), Dor-Lomin

For a dwarf---Belegost (among other things, get to pick up the pieces after the dummies in Nogrod try to rumble with elves, Beren, and ents)

For an ent---Taur-Im-Duinath (bigger then other Beleriand forests. Lots of "room to grow" for the relatively young ent polity.

Take Back America

Aure entuluva!
Tuor of Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 04:02 PM   #31
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

I wouldn't get into Nargothond because SGH would always have the guest bedroom booked. Gondolin for me, but I gotta love Afro-elf's comment about the Havens.
Old 10-19-2003, 05:04 PM   #32
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

And it would be impossible to sleep, laying awake all night listening to SGH and Ruinel fighting.
Old 10-19-2003, 05:27 PM   #33
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Falagar
And it would be impossible to sleep, laying awake all night listening to SGH and Ruinel fighting.
Neh, it'll be quiet. Finrod will throw them out of his kingdom.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 05:30 PM   #34
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Radagast The Brown
Neh, it'll be quiet. Finrod will throw them out of his kingdom.
No, they'd have Finrod chained to his bed
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 10:23 PM   #35
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

Gondolin has always caught my attention, because of its renowned history and its beauty. I'd definitely want to visit there, but as for a home, I would say I'd be happier in Doriath.

Wanna play? www.thievesguild.com
Elvengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 05:48 PM   #36
Twista
Orodruin's Flame

The small river of Tol Galen has always beem special to me.. hehe

Visit the Ye Olde Avatar Shop and The New One

Dont tell me what I cannot do

Two men are on a Island, they both see a "monster", one sees a bright light, and the other sees a dark cloud

My name bares no reference to the music artist.
Twista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 01:57 PM   #37
Turgon_Turambar
Elven Warrior

Nazgul

i reckon Angband would be a great tourist attraction. They even get to see a Valar at no extra cost.
Old 04-17-2004, 10:51 AM   #38
Celeborn of Doriath
Sapling

I would like to live in Doriath. I think Menegroth is more beautiful than Nargothrond. But Gondolin is great, too.

Last edited by Celeborn of Doriath : 04-26-2004 at 01:26 AM.
Celeborn of Doriath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 11:24 AM   #39
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Hey Celeborn my dear, welcome! Would you perhaps like to introduce yourself in this thread? I would love to know who I'm married to.
Old 04-17-2004, 11:43 AM   #40
Maedhros
The Tall

For all of you who think that Gondolin is not the best place, beat this description:
Quote:
"Lo, it stands fair to see and very clear, and its towers prick the heavens above the Hill of Watch in the midmost plain." Then Tuor and his companion were led over the plain that was of a marvellous level, broken but here and there by boulders round and smooth which lay amid a sward, or by pools in rocky beds. Many fair pathways lay across that plain, and they came after a day's light march to the foot of the Hill of Watch (which is in the tongue of the Noldor Amon Gwared). Then did they begin to ascend the winding stairways which climbed up to the city gate; nor might any one reach that city save on foot and espied from the walls. As the westward gate was golden in the last sunlight did they come to the long stair's head, and many eyes gazed upon them from the battlements and towers.
But Tuor looked upon the walls of stone, and the uplifted towers, upon the glistering pinnacles of the town, and he looked upon the stairs of stone and marble up to its high platform, and its great gate, bordered by slender balustrades and cooled by the leap of threadlike waterfalls seeking the plain from the fountains of Amon Gwared, and he fared as one in some dream of the Valar, for he deemed not such things were seen by men in the visions of their sleep, so great was his amaze at the glory of Gondolin.
Then did the throng return within the gates and the wanderers with them, and Tuor saw they were of iron and of great height and strength. Now the streets of Gondolin were paved with stone and wide, kerbed with marble, and fair houses and courts amid gardens of bright flowers mounds of mallorns, birches, and evergreen trees were set about the ways, and many towers of great slenderness and beauty builded of white marble and carved most marvellously rose to the heaven. Squares there were lit with fountains and the home of birds that sang amid the branches of their aged trees, but of all these the greatest was that place where stood the King’s house , and the tower thereof on a pillared arcade was the loftiest in the city, and above it flew the banner of Fingolfin and the fountains that played before the doors shot twenty fathoms and seven in the air and fell in a singing rain of crystal: therein did the sun glitter splendidly by day, and the moon most magically shimmered by night. The birds that dwelt there were of the whiteness of snow and their voices sweeter than a lullaby of music.
On either side of the doors of the palace were the gilded images of two trees, one of gold and the other of silver, and they were likenesse the glorious Trees of Valinor that lit those places before Morgoth and Ungoliant withered them: and those trees the Gondolindrim named Glingal and Belthil.
2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
As a noun American is:
A native or inhabitant of America.
A citizen of the United States.

Then the boy asked, “What is America then?”, and the wise man looked at the dictionary again:
1. The United States.
2. also the A·mer·i·cas. The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.

Confused, the boy asked, “Does the term american refers solely to a us citizen or to any person in North, Central or South America?”
The wise man replied: “What do you think?”, and the boy answered: “It is clear to me that while the term american is used to refers to us citizens, one can also use it to refer to any person who is from that continent too,” the boy thought for a while and asked the wise man, “Am I right?”, and he replied: “But of course.”
The boy wondered, why is it that some people refuse to acknowledge the fact that the term american refers not only to US citizens but to anyone of the American continent?, but then sadly, the boy understood, that it is the calamity of ignorance.
Maedhros is offline   Reply With Quote