Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-13-2007, 11:08 PM   #1
OldHippie
Elven Warrior

Is It Just Me

Or did anyone else have a hard time getting past the first 50 pages of this book. I loved the Hobbitt and the Trilogy, but I found the Silmarrillion to be slow and extremely boring at best.
OldHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 12:42 AM   #2
YayGollum
Enting

Location: A place called Fort Myers. In the evil state of Florida, a part of the United States Of America, of North America, Earth, Sol system.
It is merely you, at least in a room with only yourself and myself. The first fifty pages were all kinds of fun. But then, I am a large fan of reading up on all kinds of mythological type things. Gots to have origins and lists of gods and stuff.

- Myself
YayGollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 01:55 AM   #3
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Well, hey, I'm in the room now, and I'm with OldHippie on this one. Right around the time a few years ago when my renewed love-affair with Tolkien started, and I first registered here at ol' Entmoot, I special-ordered & bought the hardcover Silmarillion with all the beautiful Alan Lee paintings in it, and the huge maps, all the bells & whistles, and believe me it's one of the loveliest books in my book collection, but try as I did, and I tried, I could not get through it cover to cover. Still to this day I haven't read the whole thing.

I loved bits and snatches of chapters here and there, but - well, especially all the Feanor stuff of course, and the Maedhros stuff was interesting as all get-out, so bits and pieces of the book I picked out and enjoyed. But read the whole thing cover to cover like a real book? No, can't do it. I get way too bored and confused and annoyed. You know, Tolkien never finished Sil the way he wanted to; that was a work in progress 'til the day he died. His family & editors or whomever "finished" it for him, posthumously. I think if he'd gotten around to doing and finishing his book his way, it wouldn't have been so confusing, and in-places boring, that's what I think.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Last edited by Lotesse : 08-14-2007 at 01:57 AM.
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 02:37 AM   #4
YayGollum
Enting

Location: A place called Fort Myers. In the evil state of Florida, a part of the United States Of America, of North America, Earth, Sol system.
Eh. I would agree with the Yay Feanor sentiment, but why the Maedhros character? Boring. Sure, Yay for stubbornity and loyalty, but he wasn't given enough of a personality, for myself. oh well. I have noticed more than one mention that The Silmarillion was difficult, but I still don't understand why. Sure, I can understand some parts being boring. Different readers have different tastes. But then, what difficulties arise while attempting to read the thing from one cover to the next? It goes in chronological order, so it isn't too confusing. Sure, there are lots of names to remember, but you've always got the index, if it is required. The most boring part would have to be the bit all about the geography. I forget the name of the chapter. But then, I still have the ability to appreciate the details delved.

- Myself
YayGollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 02:51 AM   #5
OldHippie
Elven Warrior

Aw yes Lotesse, I too have the Hard-Cover. You jogged my memory of the book. It's been a good 20 years or so since I've opened it but I did enjoy the maps and the family trees.
OldHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 05:19 AM   #6
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

I had that trouble with about ALL of Tolkien's books.

When I was much younger - about junior high - I started "The Hobbit" and didn't get very far. Later I tried again, and got through it. Soon after that I started LOTR and stalled out, but later went back and read that. A few years after that, my mom got me the hardcover of "The Silmarillion". I started that, didn't get very far - and then put it aside... for 20 years or so.

I finally just made the decision to read it. And... after adjusting to it, I really enjoyed it. For me it was motivation - I wanted to follow it by re-reading (so it was chronological that time) The Hobbit and LOTR - basically so I'd understand the historical references in the latter.

I tend to think that Tolkien takes some adjusting to. Especially in our own fast-paced world. I think we have to manage to slow ourselves down somehow, to really be able to get into his writing... to simply have the patience for it. Once we can do that - I think the very same quality of his writing can just really suck us in. In other words, once we can slow ourselves down enough to get through it, we find that the level of detail that was at first tedious, actually becomes enriching.

But that's just my pet theory...

PS: Lotesse - I agree that Tolkien never managed to finish The Sil his own way. But I think if he had, we would have a 12-volume, or 20-volume, or 50-volume tale!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!

Last edited by Valandil : 08-14-2007 at 05:21 AM.
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote