Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-07-2007, 08:55 AM   #1
Peter_20
Elven Warrior

This book is a bit too hard to read at times...

The Silmarillion is indeed a great book, but personally I think Tolkien goes way too much in-depth into details, languages, races, family trees and so on and so forth.
This is not a very good idea, because it scares away at least 75% of the potential readers.
I've told a bunch of friends and acquaintances about details in this book, and they seem to find it interesting; but whenever they try reading it, they find it way too hard and confusing.

I mean, take chapters like "Of Beleriand and its realms" - I fear that chapter every time I re-read the book, because it's sooo boring.
Tolkien also exaggerates names and families' relations to each other, and this is a very common style used in this book:

"X was the father of Y and Z, the cousins of W and Q, sons of X's brother.
Their sons were known as GG and GR, but later they came to be known as GT and GQ, which signifies DDD and DDS.
Now these sons were indeed with close kinship to the king of REE, as they were descendants of X's eldest sister..."

...and so on.
This is really annoying at times, and it's a shame, because the actual story IS extremely good.
I wish this book were re-released in a more reader-friendly version in the future, because right now it's not exactly something you casually pick up and read.

Last edited by Peter_20 : 03-07-2007 at 09:55 AM.
Peter_20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 02:26 PM   #2
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

I agree that the Silmarillion could use a lot of editorial clean up. I enjoy getting as much info as possible, but there is a lot of "appendix-type" material that probably should have been left out of the main narrative, and a lot of great stories, or parts of stories (some of which can be found in books like Unfinished Tales) that should have been left in.

I think Christopher would have been better off if he had polished the Silmarillion off better (maybe with the help of a real writer), and then released his father's unedited materials as he did for those who wanted to see where dramatic license was taken.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:12 PM   #3
jammi567
I'm Eru, and lord of Arda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_20
I wish this book were re-released in a more reader-friendly version in the future, because right now it's not exactly something you casually pick up and read.
never going to happen mate. and that's what all the family trees were for. And you do realize it's called the 'Bible' of ME for a reason, don't you?
Vote for me, Jammi567, in the 2008 Entmoot elections, and you will get many of the things we need: free, unbiased, newspapers; a strong alliance with many countries, so that war doesn't start over someone breaking their nose on a doorframe; etc, etc

This forum is lonely. It's new and confused, and doesn't have many friends yet. Help today by joining for free, posting, and posting this message and link in your sig. So please, join and help make it feel welcomed and loved.
jammi567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 02:37 PM   #4
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammi567
never going to happen mate. and that's what all the family trees were for. And you do realize it's called the 'Bible' of ME for a reason, don't you?
The Bible could use a bit of work on the reader-friendly side as well. The Lord really should have hired an editor.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:54 PM   #5
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I guess he's into free will 'n stuff

Anyway, re the Sil - hey, it keeps the riff-raff away!

It's just a fact of life that ya gotta work hard for some good things

I think if JRRT had got around to publishing it, he would have made it more reader-friendly, though. I think the Sil stories were mostly for his own enjoyment.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 07:41 AM   #6
Peter_20
Elven Warrior

Yeah, kinda like the original version of "Narn i Hîn Húrin"; in that version Tolkien actually spends some time with each individual character, rather than fast-forwarding past them like a friggin' bunny on amphetamine.
Peter_20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 12:38 PM   #7
jammi567
I'm Eru, and lord of Arda.

But then, that's not Tolkien's falt: blame the son!
Vote for me, Jammi567, in the 2008 Entmoot elections, and you will get many of the things we need: free, unbiased, newspapers; a strong alliance with many countries, so that war doesn't start over someone breaking their nose on a doorframe; etc, etc

This forum is lonely. It's new and confused, and doesn't have many friends yet. Help today by joining for free, posting, and posting this message and link in your sig. So please, join and help make it feel welcomed and loved.
jammi567 is offline   Reply With Quote