Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-12-2005, 06:21 PM   #1
Glanecia
Sapling

The Silmarillion

I quickly picked up The Silmarillion in the bookstore, the other day. I read maybe three sentences, and then it was time to go...

anyways, I'm wondering, can anyone tell me...how would you rate this book? I loved the trilogy...would I like this one too?
Glanecia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 06:26 PM   #2
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Ciao, Glanecia! You're brand-new here, huh? Welcome 2 the Moot! The sil is one of those tomes that one really has to make themselves get into, because they want the history & background and details of Tolkien's fantasy world. I have a hard time really wading through it, too, sometimes, I mean I bought the Sil like almost a year ago and still haven't read but a few chapters. But if you truly love Tolkien, it's a gem, to be sure. There's a lot of Silmarillion nutz here in the Moot who could give you better answers than I.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 07:05 PM   #3
Elanor
Hobbit in the Music

It took me 3 tries to read this book. I love the beginning, but I kept getting bogged down right after Feanor swears his oath and the Noldori go to Middle Earth. But if you can slog through the war stuff, it gets interesting again.

Segovia Mazes
Elanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 10:19 PM   #4
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

I second what Elanor said...it takes about 3 times to really LOVE it...at least it did for me...it's now my favorite of Tolkien's works. I would plow through it ten go back and read LotR again then the Sil then Lotr then the Sil again...with enough time in between that you can really enjoy reading the books each time
Arien the Maia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 05:36 AM   #5
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

The Silmarillion is very different from the Lord of the Rings (LoTR) trilogy. It is more fragmented and written in a different style, more like an anthology of short stories. The Silmarillion also spans a lot more time than the LoTR, and deals with a lot more characters (some also have similar names) so sometimes it can be difficult to keep up. You need to keep your head with it.

Whether you will like the Silmarillion is completely up to personal preference. Personally, I had no problem with getting through the book, although it took me at least another re-read to fully grasp all the characters and events.

I can tell you this, though: If you liked the Elves in LoTR and the Hobbit, be prepared for a surprise!
Old 12-13-2005, 10:33 AM   #6
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

the best book ever written!

i'm a big fan of mythology (greek, norse, hindu, christian, etc.), and it is very much in that style... grand tales that are far less personal than the lotr

i think it is very rewarding, but it certainly takes some time (and re-reading) to fully appreciate

if you are having a hard time, i suggest skipping forward and reading the tale of beren and luthien... it is one of the best in the book and might get you interested enough to want to read the rest
Old 12-13-2005, 05:19 PM   #7
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elanor
It took me 3 tries to read this book. I love the beginning, but I kept getting bogged down right after Feanor swears his oath and the Noldori go to Middle Earth. But if you can slog through the war stuff, it gets interesting again.
I found it the other way round. It was harder for me to read up to 'Of Fëanor' but after that I loved it. Then again, I was only 11 when I first read Ainulindale!

Glanecia, IMO it's better than the trilogy. When I first read it I couldn't remember much of what happened, but when I re-read it I fell in love with it.
I also agree with Rian. There is a period of about five chapters, beginning with Beren and Luthien is that is my favourite part of anything I've ever read.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 05:26 PM   #8
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

And you have a lovely quote from the Sil in your sig, TD! (and so do I - from a few pages before yours)

Wow, you got thru the Ainulindalë at 11? I adore that part, but whew! I'm impressed with you!

Have you read any HoME (History of Middle Earth) books, TD? I don't remember if you have or not.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 08:10 PM   #9
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

I always found the Silmarillion to be a mixed bag, at best, but you really can't expect a whole lot from a volume that was cobbled together from the (sometimes Illegible, frequently multi-draft) notes of the author after his death. Overall I am forced to agree with much of the criticism that has been leveled against it (even CJRT has said that he screwed up some of it), but it's still worth reading for those sublime moments, ocassional passages that are just achingly, heart stoppingly beautiful and are worth reading again and again.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:22 PM   #10
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
And you have a lovely quote from the Sil in your sig, TD! (and so do I - from a few pages before yours)

Wow, you got thru the Ainulindalë at 11? I adore that part, but whew! I'm impressed with you!

Have you read any HoME (History of Middle Earth) books, TD? I don't remember if you have or not.
I have read the last three (Morgoths Ring, War of the Jewels and Peoples of Middle Earth) and the first two (Book of Lost Tales 1 and 2 IIRC) and am planning on finishing the rest soon.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote