Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-15-2004, 03:23 PM   #41
Minielin
Elven Warrior

Quote:
The pillars of Menegroth were hewn in the likeness of the beeches of Orome, stock, bough, and leaf, and they were lit with lanterns of gold. The nightingales sang there as in the gardens of Lorien; and there were fountains of silver, and basins of marble, and floors of many-colored stones. Carven figures of beasts and birds there ran upon the walls, or climbed upon the pillars, or peered among the branches entwined with many flowers. And as the years passed Melian and her maidens filled the halls with woven hangings wherein could be read the deeds of the Valar, and many things that had befallen in Arda since its beginning, and shadows of things that were yet to be. That was the fairest dwelling of any king that has ever been east of the Sea.
Not as long, but the last sentence says it all. Doriath also has the appeal of freedom and has the woods that you could wander in.
In dark green ivy, and among wild larches?"

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum.
Minielin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 12:22 PM   #42
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

the best place in all beleriand was gondolin, ah the hidden city in days of splendour, how i recall the banners of the seven houses flying in the breeze...
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 04:22 PM   #43
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

I agree. It was the closest thing on ME to Tirion in Valinor. No wonder Turgon wanted to keeps it's location secret.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 11:44 AM   #44
Pytt
The Supreme Lord of The Northern Eagles

Yes, Gondolin is great. The closest to Tirion as TD says.
I also thing Nargotrhond is really cool. One of those places. I also think Menegroth is great.
Old 04-30-2005, 11:21 AM   #45
Uinor
Sapling

My favorite place is.....

Ossiriand, Land of Music...

Land of the Seven Rivers....
Uinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 05:55 AM   #46
jammi567
I'm Eru, and lord of Arda.

check this link to see my thoughts
Vote for me, Jammi567, in the 2008 Entmoot elections, and you will get many of the things we need: free, unbiased, newspapers; a strong alliance with many countries, so that war doesn't start over someone breaking their nose on a doorframe; etc, etc

This forum is lonely. It's new and confused, and doesn't have many friends yet. Help today by joining for free, posting, and posting this message and link in your sig. So please, join and help make it feel welcomed and loved.
jammi567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 08:23 PM   #47
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Golden Hair
Nargothrond. Need I say more?

Muahahahaha!

Same for me...
Old 09-06-2006, 05:46 PM   #48
Tulkas
Hobbit

i would with out dout want to live in Goldolin, the protection of the mountains would make me forget about the evil servants of morgoth dwelling in Beleriand. NOT TO MENTION that fact that its hidden from more than half of Beleriand
Tulkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 03:59 PM   #49
NelyafinweMaitimo
Hobbit

Quote:
Best place in Beleriand- a home with a Quendi female companion.
Most definately. Especially if said home was in Hithlum...before it was sacked. Or perhaps Doriath...before it was sacked as well...
Old 01-20-2007, 04:05 PM   #50
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NelyafinweMaitimo
Most definately. Especially if said home was in Hithlum...before it was sacked. Or perhaps Doriath...before it was sacked as well...
I don't think Doriath needs any explanation. But why Hithlum? I'm curious, what do you find attractive about Hithlum? I don't remember any description of the area at all really.

Welcome to Entmoot NeyliafinweMaitimo!
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.

Last edited by Jonathan : 01-20-2007 at 04:07 PM.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 03:59 AM   #51
NelyafinweMaitimo
Hobbit

Thank you kindly for the warm welcome! You can call me Maitimo (my-TEE-moh), it's really my name, lucky me. It makes up for Ylihärsilä, my crappy, hard-to-say last name...mean people call me Ula. (Name's pronounced Oo-lei-HARR-seeh-lah, except the 'oo' sounds more like an 'ew,' if you were wondering).

Well, as for Hithlum, it did sport a rather nice lake, and, as Fingolfin and his son knew, you could keep an eye on everyone from there; Morgoth, and the Sons of Feanor both. It gives me the same vibes as the Scandanavian highlands. Admittedly, they're craggy, foggy, cold, damp, and grey to anyone who hasn't lived in them, but, to those who have...well, it feels like home, I guess.

Quote:
Thus because of the curse that lay upon them the Noldor achieved nothing, while Morgoth hesitated, and the dread of light was new and strong upon the Orcs. But Morgoth arose from thought, and seeing the division of his foes he laughed. In the pits of Angband he caused vast smokes and vapours to be made, and they came forth from the reeking tops of the Iron Mountains, and afar off they could be seen in Mithrim, staining the bright airs in the first mornings of the world. A wind came out of the east, and bore them over Hithlum, darkening the new Sun; and they fell, and coiled about the fields and hollows, and lay upon the waters of Mithrim, drear and poisonous.
See? Finland.

Last edited by NelyafinweMaitimo : 01-21-2007 at 04:09 AM.
NelyafinweMaitimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 05:27 AM   #52
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Haha, Finland eh? Well, there is no place like home, is there?

Thanks for the reply, Mighty-Moe
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 10:36 AM   #53
Peter_20
Elven Warrior

Any place where female Elves of the Vanyar live.

Anyway, I liked Gondolin the best.

Last edited by Peter_20 : 03-07-2007 at 10:37 AM.
Peter_20 is offline   Reply With Quote