Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-06-2002, 04:52 PM   #1
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

trashcan?? trashcan!! Hey, if you don't want your Sil, send it to me! Mine's in several pieces, I've read it so many times!

I would agree about writing down all those names starting with "F" - they get awfully confusing. I've read the whole thing probably a total of 5 times now (I've reread some parts many more than others) and I still have to stop and think sometimes who is who (but then I'm probably denser than most!) I used to just flip back to the geneology section, but finally just wrote the family tree down on a 3x5 card and used it as a bookmark and quick reference. Stick with it, it's really worth it. It makes those little First Age references that you see in LoTR really neat when you know what they are referrring to.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2002, 05:37 PM   #2
Jador
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by RÃ*an
Stick with it, it's really worth it. It makes those little First Age references that you see in LoTR really neat when you know what they are referrring to. [/B]
I totaly agree! It's like,the more you understand the events that were before the LotR, the more you can appreciate it,and as Sam says to Frodo on the Morgul pass,They are all part of the same epic story,that runs down through the ages..(total paraphrase there!)
Old 10-07-2002, 08:57 PM   #3
entss89
lord of the ents

yes i am making progress im on chapter 2! im so proud of my self this is working out!(not really) but im still trying!
entss89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 07:10 AM   #4
Eldanuumea
Elven Warrior

Strider

Quote:
Originally posted by entss89
yes i am making progress im on chapter 2! im so proud of my self this is working out!(not really) but im still trying!
I am very proud of you, too! Stick with it, my dear. When you feel bogged down in a section, just plow on through.....the stories have a way of suddenly becoming impossible to put down!
Old 10-12-2002, 03:54 AM   #5
Lanelf
Elven Warrior

It's weird. I just looked to the index thingy at the end of the book to see any names I didn't remember. What I find really confusing are the people who don't even start before they give up! (please nobody take offense at this, I'm just saying what *I* think, that is *my* warped mind, ok?) My sister says she fell asleep after about ten pages, but I was way into it.
I'm proud of you people sticking with it! There was one chapter that I just wanted to skip, but I read it anyway... Keep going! *starts little sil-reading cheer squad* You can do it!
Lanelf.

Artemis Fowl must find Mulch Diggums!

You'll never shut down the real Napster
Lanelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2002, 09:29 PM   #6
Aeryn
Bank'ress of Sith

Sil reading

Well, I was like ...12 when I read it ...I'm a natural slow reader so it took me a long time and I understood it...when I picked it up again about 3 years later, as I read it quickly I lost my grasp on it...
My Advise: Take your time the faster you try to go, the more you miss

This one is deactivated, I think.
Aeryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2002, 11:43 PM   #7
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

I got through the book itself with relative ease but at first the fact that Tolkien uses a lot of repeating names confused me at first, (eg. "Denethor? What's he doing in the first age...?") that sort of thing. Other than that and the occaisional seeming inconsistency with LOTR and it was fine.
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Willow Oran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2002, 11:37 AM   #8
entss89
lord of the ents

my mother: are you sure you want to send this to good will?

me: umm well give me a few more days to decide!
Old 10-15-2002, 06:14 PM   #9
entss89
lord of the ents

i decided im not going to give away my book!
IM GOING TO BURN IT!
no not really im doing goood actually it took me a month but im finally on chapter 3! go entss89 its your birthday!

slow ain't i?
Old 10-16-2002, 03:07 AM   #10
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Happy birthday Entss89! I'm glad you're still reading the Sil. Keep up the good work!
Old 10-16-2002, 10:42 AM   #11
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

My dad have the 1st edition of the Silm, and I read it just after I saw the movie.
The first time I got a little confused, but the 2nd time I read it I finally got it.

Oh, btw, cool pic of Nemi, Artanis!

Last edited by Falagar : 10-16-2002 at 11:45 AM.
Falagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 01:30 PM   #12
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
Originally posted by Falagar
My dad have the 1st edition of the Silm
How I envy you! I wish someone in my family would take some interest in Tolkien's books.
Old 10-16-2002, 04:13 PM   #13
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

entss you are slowly but don't give up!!! you will end it somewhen, somehow. I read The Silmarilion for few weeks, I think. and that was long time ago. 8 months ago, actually.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2002, 04:28 PM   #14
Falagar

Quote:
How I envy you! I wish someone in my family would take some interest in Tolkien's books.
It's not very weird that I ended up as a Tolkienholic, my dad read it to me when I was 8 years!

Oh, sorry if this was too off topic...

Quote:
no not really im doing goood actually it took me a month but im finally on chapter 3! go entss89 its your birthday!
Happy birthday! (maybe a little late)
Quote:
slow ain't i?
My advice: Take your time! (I'm not the right person to give advices though)
Old 10-17-2002, 06:08 PM   #15
entss89
lord of the ents

well thanks everyone and falagar it not my birthday quite yet so your actually early my b day is nov. 12! ohh im on chapter 4th ! oh no wronge page im still on the 3rd chapter my bad!he he!
Old 10-17-2002, 06:12 PM   #16
Lanelf
Elven Warrior

Oh well, better early...
Anyway, as I'm likely to forget, happy early birthday, entss89!
Keep reading! *chants* Read that Sil! Read that Sil! Read that Sil!
Lanelf.

Artemis Fowl must find Mulch Diggums!

You'll never shut down the real Napster
Lanelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2002, 06:12 PM   #17
Falagar

Quote:
well thanks everyone and falagar it not my birthday quite yet so your actually early my b day is nov. 12!
Aiii...
Quote:
Anyway, as I'm likely to forget, happy early birthday, entss89!
Yeah, better early than never! happy b day!

Last edited by Falagar : 10-17-2002 at 06:15 PM.
Falagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2002, 10:25 PM   #18
webwizard333
Elf Lord

Quote:
Mmm, am I the only one who didn't experience any problem with reading the silmarillion for the first time? :s
No, you're not the only one. I read it in one day and found it within my ability to grasp.

Quote:
Artanis, don't tell people to skip the Ainulindale and Valaquenta! I loved those parts! But that may just be my myth-crazed brain speaking.
Once again, same here. I really loved how Tolkien took the ancient mythologies, Christianized them, and really gave a definitive order to them. They're among my favorite things to read of the Silmarillion.
Old 10-18-2002, 11:36 PM   #19
azalea
Long lost mooter

Hey, I need a cheer, too. I'm still only about halfway through, and I've been reading it since Jan. (with long pauses). Well, right now I have a little of an excuse since it's packed. But I guess it's just that the writing style is hard for me to enjoy -- it feels like I'm reading a history book (which I am, really) rather than a story as in TLotR or The Hobbit, Farmer Giles, etc., all of which I whip through every time. I miss that personal feel, I suppose, that comes from reading about the characters inner thoughts in a very intimate way. But I am enjoying the story itself. It's just very hard for me to get through. I'm determined to do it though! I may even read it again!
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2002, 12:06 PM   #20
entss89
lord of the ents

yeahhhhhh im not alone! well well i will give you a boost then im am very slowwwwwwwwwwwww too . i think me and you will become very good friends. he he. ohh pats for entss im on chapter 4! yay.