Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-29-2002, 01:13 AM   #1
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Perhaps he was misunderstood to the point where it caused him to become evil minded. Or maybe those swords were radioactive and they did fry his brain. Whatever the reason for his being the way he is, he still bugs me.
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Willow Oran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 01:53 PM   #2
Sicirus
Elf Lord

Strider

Eol was bitter but he was worse than Feamor for Feanor was and remained the most skilled of elves in Middle Earth and was raised by only his father. Plus he had seven pther brothers who just came into his fathers heart. I mean think of how made he went when he thought Melkor was tellinhg the truth. I mean he not only lost his mother he also was decieved by the dark Valar.
Eol though was very bitter and icelated from the other elves that his real company was the dwarves who lived in the dark out of greed and craft. But hey at least that was an elf who actually got along with dwarves. Anyway he tried to kill his son but ended up killing his wife instead. I mean he did trick her into marrying him and shunned her from the light and love of her people.
Old 01-12-2003, 10:34 PM   #3
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

Eol was possesive about his family, and in particular about his child. This would be consider very wrong among the elves. They do no even use the the phrase "I have a son or children", They say, rather, they are children in my house, or similar phrases with no form or contation of possesion oven children.
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 05:06 PM   #4
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Sicirus
Eol was bitter but he was worse than Feamor for Feanor was and remained the most skilled of elves in Middle Earth and was raised by only his father. Plus he had seven pther brothers who just came into his fathers heart.
Having unsurpassing skills doesn't make a person better or worse IMO. I think you meant to say that Feänor had 7 sons instead of brothers. He had two half-brothers.
Old 01-16-2003, 06:58 AM   #5
Sicirus
Elf Lord

Strider

Sorry about my typin skills. I was late for my ride.

Well he did have compitition when it came to his fathers love with the other two brothers.
Eol was very skilled as well. Feanor was able to see the light and probably was more of a leader and more respected than Eol when it came to the elves.
Though I am reading the book again so I can look over what I have forgotten.
Old 01-18-2003, 09:22 PM   #6
Mirahzi
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Sicirus
Eol was very skilled as well. Feanor was able to see the light and probably was more of a leader and more respected than Eol when it came to the elves.
That realy depends on which elves are in question. Feanor certainly did not have the love of the Teleri after the Kin-slaying, nor the Sindarin folk of Thingol. Also, there was great enmity between him and the people of Fingolfin (Although the efforts of Maedhros helped to assuage that conflict).
Old 01-19-2003, 03:46 AM   #7
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

Quote:
Originally posted by Mirahzi
(Although the efforts of Maedhros helped to assuage that conflict).
And Fingon. I would think it was mostly Fingon, there.

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 11:33 PM   #8
Christiana
Elf Lord

Location: Searching desperately for a swan boat to take to Valinor
Also, Eol doesnt have the excuse of being seduced

Having someone to blame is nearly as good as having a solution to the problem

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you habe their shoes. ~Frieda Norris
Christiana is offline   Reply With Quote