Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Literature
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-29-2002, 10:08 PM   #41
Aragorn
Elven Warrior

This post is not to be mean to you emplynx or anyone else:

Don't pity me, for I do not pity myself. Don't feel sorry for me, for I have no pain in this situation. You may believe in god. I still respect you. And you may feel bad for people who don't. I believe in god. I feel bad for people that do.

And they carried them to the flatlands
But they died along the way
And they built up with their bare hands
What we still can't do today.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO till the day I die.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2002, 10:12 PM   #42
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Actually, Aragorn, I was Bah-ing as much at you as at anyone.

You say you believe in evolution and reincarnation, despite the fact that evolution is one of the faulty, man-made explainations you so despise (cobbled together by people who, such as yourself, refuse to believe in anything else.), and reincarnation... well? Can anyone make sense of that one?

Anyway, what you claim to believe is equally if not more Bull than that which you want no part of, and much more blatant at that.

Last edited by Wayfarer : 01-29-2002 at 10:13 PM.
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 12:13 PM   #43
noldo
Elven Icon Maker

Aragorn's right.

I wouldn't like faithful and religious Christians to pity me for not believing in or having faith for their god, let alone have love for him, the "merciful and graceful" being he is.
noldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 12:40 PM   #44
CardenIAntauraNauco
Elven Warrior

Quote:
There are just things that we can't explain (yet! )
Now I don't mean to bully anyone, but there is nothing we could discover that would disprove this logic. Why do you choose to believe the theory that makes no sense of the origin of matter in the hopes that in the future it will?

Another thing if the Origin of matter began an infinite amount of days ago and energy is constantly being used, it would have been used up by now. As a matter of fact it would have been used up an infinite number of days ago!

What about universal constants. Just for an example look at the charge of an electron. If this charge was altered by a millioneth of a percen there would not be an atom capable supporting any self replicating organism. There are 32 different constance all with the same narrow window of possibility for life to appear. That means during the big bang the chances of these constance orginating would be so unlikely that it is unreasonable to belive that all 32 of these unchangable constants were formed as the big bang happened. It is possible but so wildly unlikely that I don't find it a viable choice of belief.
"We will have peace","Yes we will have peace...we will have peace when you and all your works have perished - and the works of your dark lord to whom you would deliver us. You are a liar,Saruman,and a corrupter of men's hearts. You hold out your hand to me and I percieve only a finger of the claw of Mordor. Cruel and cold! Even if your war on me was just - as it was not,for were you ten times as wise you would have no right to rule me and mine, for your own profit you desired-even so, what will you say of your Torches in westfold and the children that lie dead there? And they hewed Hama's body before the gates of Hornburg, after he was dead. When you hang from a gibbet at your window for the sport of your own crows, I will have peace with you and Orthanc. So much for the House of Eorl. A lesser son of greater Sires am I, but I do not need to lick your fingers. Turn elsewither for I fear your voice has lost it's charm.
CardenIAntauraNauco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 03:43 PM   #45
mirrille
Elven Warrior

Bah! Double Bah!

Why is no one talking about books? I think we've already established which side everyone is on, so let's leave it at that. That's really as far as anything is going to get because (get this!) You are both right (that is according to the different thought systems you are working with). Impasse!

Let's talk about books. Since someone already brought it up, who here likes theoretical physics? I thought that that stuff was super cool, but the most I got into it was in first year of university. It's too bad we don't have time to learn everything. So I hear the major book for this stuff if you're a non-physicist is "A Brief History in Time". Anyone read it? It's supposed to be the thing that everyone wants to read but never has the time. Is it worth it? And if you're into evolution (yay! life adapts!) it's Stephen J. Gould. I am so amazed at people who can write about science and make it understandable. It's the difference between reading an exciting novel and reading a heavy textbook. I don't really read alot of non-fiction. Only for school. I wish I could get into reading non-fiction. You could learn so much.
mirrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 06:20 PM   #46
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I agree with Aragorn on the "don't pitty him" thing.

yes I beleave in God but it makes me so MAD when someone starts talking about how "my freand went to hell because he wasent saved" I just want to slap them and yell "oh and I supose you can read gods mind? what if this person had saved 5000 people from being blown up? do you think that God will send him to hell for saving them all?"

sorry but I just get really annoyed with some of those people who just talk about being "saved" and wont shut up about it. I know that it was most likely a very moving expereince for them but I would rather talk about a movie or something insted of just that.

ok nowdon't jump on me. I think that every one should get a chance to talk about their faith. just not for the intire 30 mins I get to talk with them.

ick. phizks. lol how about star wars? has anyone read the star wars books?

(sorry about the sp but I need to run)
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 06:50 PM   #47
Sakata
Elven Warrior

As an answer to your question tess, yes, I believe they would go to hell. You cant judge one sin above another and therefore one good deed, say you helped and old lady across the street when you where 10, does that mean you go to heaven when you die? God says people are judged on if they believe or reject Christ. I encourage you to find out the truth for yourself, if you died today are you 100% sure where you are going? I know I am.

-Dare you venture into Gollum's Lair?

JESUS LIVES!
Sakata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 06:55 PM   #48
Sakata
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Aragorn

Don't feel sorry for me, for I have no pain in this situation.
Not at this time, but I believe with all my heart and mind if you dont accept Christ as your lord and savior you will go to hell, and how could I sit by and just let you? Am I mercyless?

JESUS LIVES!
Old 01-30-2002, 07:06 PM   #49
William Wallace
Hobbit

I just wanted to say that me and my friends read your posts Aragorn and though them kinda funny. First off you think the whole god thing is just some bs trend, instead you choose to believe that the whole universe magically came out of nothing and that from trillion to one odds life formed and became us, and then to top it all off when we die, we come back as something else? how did evolution manage that one eh? hehe sorry Aragorn but Sakata and CardenIAntauraNauco dont need to debat you, you do a pretty good job contradicting yourself
Old 01-30-2002, 08:12 PM   #50
Laurelyn
Elf Lord

Location: Valinor, right next to Telperion . . . what did you expect, Michigan?
How 'bout we quit picking on Aragorn? Everyone believes in different things, give it a rest!

Angel of music, guide and guardian! Grant to me your glory!

The country I eat and spend the day in is by no means the country I sleep and dream in. Define patriotism.

Hold the boat, you spastic monkey! ~ Elenka
Laurelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 08:22 PM   #51
Sakata
Elven Warrior

I am not picking on him! I am trying to save his soal!

JESUS LIVES!
Old 01-30-2002, 08:33 PM   #52
William Wallace
Hobbit

You would think he would be able to defend his position, I mean it is not like this is a small matter, this existance is infantly small compared to what happens when we die, so you think it would be something you would be pretty sure about.
Old 01-30-2002, 10:07 PM   #53
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Indeed... he should be able to defend his own views... however.

We may have been overly antagonistic. Indeed, it is quite likely.

I would like to take this opportunity to say that there is much more to christianity than 'i'm going to go to heaven when I die.' It's god saying 'I love you, so here, I'm going to make you into what you were intended to be all along.'
Old 01-30-2002, 10:17 PM   #54
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Uhm...I like books?

Now, if I had seen this thread in October or November, I would have immediately jumped in on it, BUT I've had so much religious debate in my off line life I just need to deal with that right now. Wayfarer, WELL SAID! So many people seem to miss taht point about Christianity.

Let's just say it's really hard to talk to your friends about God when they absolutely will NOT respect your beliefs...anyways...

Theoretical whatsis? That's way over my head...I used to want to be a marine biologist, until I learned I had to take chemistry and physics and calculus as well as biology for any science degree.

Here I come, double major! (acting/psychology)

Last edited by Starr Polish : 01-30-2002 at 10:18 PM.
Starr Polish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 10:28 PM   #55
Aragorn
Elven Warrior

Hehe, these posts by William and Wayfarer are pretty damn funny. Watching them all insult me when they don't even know **** about what they're talking about. Heh. You know what's gonna be even more funny? When they try to keep on dissing me after this post. Heh, I'm gonna get a kick out of that. Anyway, Sakata, you believe in heaven, hell, god, and satan. I still respect you for that. But newsflash, I don't think I'll be going to an imaginary place when I die. Sorry if you find that offensive. Stop saying 'oh I'm so sorry you don't believe in god and you're gonna go to hell' BECAUSE IT IS STARTING TO ANNOY ME!!! Alright, now lets see if you people can understand this:

I DON'T BELIEVE IN GOD, I NEVER WILL, DON'T TRY TO CHANGE MY MIND BECAUSE THEN I'LL BE WRONG!!! I DON'T BELIEVE IN GOD, YOU PEOPLE DO, I CAN'T CHANGE YOUR MINDS, YOU CAN'T CHANGE MINE, DROP THE CONVORSATION!!!

Do you people even realize how completely pointless this convorsation is? That is why you don't talk about religion on the internet.

And they carried them to the flatlands
But they died along the way
And they built up with their bare hands
What we still can't do today.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO till the day I die.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 10:37 PM   #56
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Yes.

Shall we debate the Nature of Truth instead? That's always a favorite of mine. For example... you said that you won't change your mind (presumably on anything) because you would then be wrong... aren't you wrong anyway if what you believe is in error?

For example... if you believe orcs are yellow with purple spots, but they're not, then aren't you wrong whether or not you change your mind?

Here's another fun one: Good and Evil. Shall we discuss that?
Or (my favorite) we could talk about Magic in Middle Earth?

Oh, by the by. It's soul, sakata. Soul.
Old 01-30-2002, 10:49 PM   #57
William Wallace
Hobbit

Ahem?

Last edited by William Wallace : 01-30-2002 at 10:52 PM.
William Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 10:52 PM   #58
William Wallace
Hobbit

And your response to my message?

Last edited by William Wallace : 01-30-2002 at 10:53 PM.
William Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 10:55 PM   #59
Sakata
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Aragorn
I DON'T BELIEVE IN GOD, I NEVER WILL, DON'T TRY TO CHANGE MY MIND BECAUSE THEN I'LL BE WRONG!!! I DON'T BELIEVE IN GOD, YOU PEOPLE DO, I CAN'T CHANGE YOUR MINDS, YOU CAN'T CHANGE MINE, DROP THE CONVORSATION!!!

Translation: I just want to close my eyes and ignore evedence that there might be something more to life so leave me be!

Well Okay!

And btw, why didnt you address William's statement? I thought he made a very good point. How do you believe in Evolution and rencarnation at the same time?

The whole rencarnation thing never made sense to me, do believe we come back as animals? and if not than how do you explain the rise in population?

I am not trying to offend you or tick you off Aragorn, just trying to have a conversation, so you dont have to get angry. I know you dont like people bashing your beleifs, personally it is not very nice having someone calling the thing I would die for without thinking twice imaginary, but I am confident enough in it that nothing you say can make me angry.

JESUS LIVES!
Old 01-30-2002, 10:57 PM   #60
Sakata
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Wayfarer

Oh, by the by. It's soul, sakata. Soul.
Yeah, I know, just more evedense that we really need a spell checker in here

JESUS LIVES!