Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-16-2003, 03:56 PM   #1
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Accomplishments and Personal Growth of All Members of the Fellowship

In Hector's spirit of keeping the Book forum alive, I start a new and interesting thread.

I believe Tolkien described Legolas as the least important, or perhaps the one who accomplished the least of the Fellowship. (If someone knows that actual quote that would be appreciated.)

What did each member of the Fellowship accomplish that was important?

Frodo carried the Ring, a terrible burden, to Mount Doom, where he helped destroy it. He also resisted a poisonned knife wound from a Nazgul.

In the thread, we can discuss important feats of Frodo and the Fellowship.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 04:46 PM   #2
Anglorfin
Alasailon

Well we all knew how the Hobbits grew. Merry and Pippin becoming soldiers in the Mark and Gondor and becoming great captains within the Shire. Frodo and Sam of course fulfilled the quest. Aragorn came into his own. Gimli eventually set up his own kingdom in the Glittering Caves as did Legolas nearby for as long as Gimli was around. Gandalf of course could go back to the West after completing his mission.

I do agree though that in all Legolas "evolved" the least because right from the beginning of the story we pretty much knew where he was headed. He would eventually go with the rest of his people into the West. All of his exploits were at best equal to a good supporting role. To me he is the only one that never really took center stage at some point in the story.

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 03:28 PM   #3
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

I believe Gimli to be the least important. After all, Legolas was the connection to the fellowship who got them into Lorien, and Gimli was only a setback here. He was setback through much of the book actually, as the slowest of the Three Hunters, the most stubborn (but cool) member of the Fellowship, and arguably (I shoud stress arguably) the cause for Gandalf's "delay", since he was so persistent in going through Moria.

Please correct me kindly if I'm wrong, but the only significant growth I saw in Gimli was the reversal of his hate for the Elves.

NOTE: By NO means at all do I mean to saw that Gimli isn't important, or that he isn't the most downright badass character, because he definately is. It's just impossible to ignore his stubborness and slowness.
Old 12-19-2003, 03:49 PM   #4
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Bombadillo
I believe Gimli to be the least important. After all, Legolas was the connection to the fellowship who got them into Lorien, and Gimli was only a setback here. He was setback through much of the book actually, as the slowest of the Three Hunters, the most stubborn (but cool) member of the Fellowship, and arguably (I shoud stress arguably) the cause for Gandalf's "delay", since he was so persistent in going through Moria.

Please correct me kindly if I'm wrong, but the only significant growth I saw in Gimli was the reversal of his hate for the Elves.

NOTE: By NO means at all do I mean to saw that Gimli isn't important, or that he isn't the most downright badass character, because he definately is. It's just impossible to ignore his stubborness and slowness.

I think you are slightly incorrect about Moria. Given a choice between Moria or the pass of Caradhas, Gimli chose Moria.

The Fellowship went to Moria only after trying to go through the pass of Caradhas.

If I had to choose it probably would be Legolas, Boromir or Gimli (with me leaning towards Gimli) only by default. I think the Other members of the fellowship did more.

I will need to think more in choosing between the three above.

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 04:55 PM   #5
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
I believe Gimli to be the least important. After all, Legolas was the connection to the fellowship who got them into Lorien, and Gimli was only a setback here.
Actually I would bet Aragorn had just as much of a role as Legolas as getting them into Lorien. Remember, in Aragorn's youth he was invited into Lorien to rendevous with Arwen...They also dressed him as an Elf during that stay and it is said that some thought him to be an Elf Lord...
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 05:23 PM   #6
Silmo
Sapling

Gimli

Quote:
Gimli was a setback through much of the book actually, as the slowest of the Three Hunters, the most stubborn (but cool) member of the Fellowship
I'm too lazy too look up info to back this up, but somewhere in LOTR it says that dwarves have incredible stamina and can run for miles and miles without a break. Now Gimli may have been a bit slower than Aragorn and Legolas because of his stubby legs, but nowhere does it say that he slowed the fellowhip down.

Only in the movies does it appear that Gimli is clumsy, slow, and easily runs out of breath. I believe that the director did this to give the movie some comic relief because, before Gollum, there was no funny characters in the movie.

Last edited by Silmo : 12-19-2003 at 05:26 PM.
Silmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 09:57 PM   #7
Elvellyn
The Redneck Elf

If importance doesn't necesarily mean being good, then Boromir was definately important. He saved Merry and Pippin, and was kind of reponsible for Sam and Frodo going to Mordor alone. Towards the end of his life he change dhis veiws on the Ring and how it should be used. He definately developed. (If I am getting the books confused with the movies, please correct me. I'm planning to reread them soon.)
Old 12-22-2003, 12:06 AM   #8
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

I believe they could have made it through the Pass [that I don't want to spell] more easily than Moria, and with a better result, I might add. They'd have no way of knowing that though.
Say what you want, but Gimli stayed the same in my eyes.

Although, Anglorfin, I do see your point, in that Legolas was already an angel in the beginning. He stayed the same too.

Quote:
Originally posted by Elvellyn
If importance doesn't necesarily mean being good, then Boromir was definately important. He saved Merry and Pippin, and was kind of reponsible for Sam and Frodo going to Mordor alone. Towards the end of his life he change dhis veiws on the Ring and how it should be used. He definately developed. (If I am getting the books confused with the movies, please correct me. I'm planning to reread them soon.)
I don't think Borimir ever really "grew." Granted, I don't like him, but "ll leave that aside.

At some point, he must have, or at least should have, known that the Ring had to be destroyed and not used. But he was obviously corrupted by the Ring. Later, of course, he overcomes this and fights for Frodo, but he didn't actually learn or develop anything new.

He probably could have, but it's that damn Ring!
Old 12-23-2003, 10:30 PM   #9
Tuor of Gondolin
Elf Lord

From a Michael Martinez Suite101 article:
"Tolkien at one point said of Legolas that, of all the members of the Fellowship, the Elf had achieved the least. Many people have disagreed with Tolkien about that assessment. After all, Gimli didn't bring down any flying Nazgul. Nor, for that matter, did Aragorn or Boromir. Even Meriadoc only earned honorable mention for sneaking up behind the Lord of the Nazgul and stabbing him in the rear of the leg. Of course, Legolas didn't kill the Nazgul (he was dead already) -- just the flying steed."

1) I know I've seen the observation by Tolkien about Legolas achieving the least somewhere ("Letters"?) but can't find it. Agh!!!
2) It seems to me that book Boromir achieved less and grew less, and next least, achieving wise, was Gimli. But the remarkable forging of friendship between Legolas and Gimli was alone a great achievement (must have been some great tales and songs made of it when the two arrived over Sea, perhaps finally writing finis to that nasty bit involving the two races in Beleriand). Oh, and why wasn't Gimli more ticked off at Treebeard, given the ents helping Beren at Sarn Athrad?

an accomplishment rating?
1--- Frodo (well, duh)
2--- Gandalf
3--- Aragorn
4--- Sam
5--- Merry
6--- Pippin
7--- Legolas
8--- Gimli
9--- Boromir

While I put Sam at "4", I've also thought that it would have been interesting if JRRT had actually had Frodo be killed by Shelob or the orcs and then have Sam and Gollum go on. That would have been an interesting dynamic.
10 Aragorn's two side kicks are way cooler than the druids.
9 Aragorn gets a girl.
8 Aragorn does not whine.
7 Aragorn's mystical mentor comes back to life for real.
6 Aragorn's father is really dead.
5 Aragorn disappears and comes back leading an army, Luke disappears and comes back wearing a cloak.
4 Aragorn never had a thing for his sister.
3 The little people that Aragorn hangs out with are only furry on their feet.
2 At the end of his trilogy, Aragorn gets to be a king.

…And the number one reason that Aragorn is cooler than Luke Skywalker

1. Aragorn's sword does not need batteries.

Take Back America

Aure entuluva!

Last edited by Tuor of Gondolin : 12-24-2003 at 01:20 AM.
Tuor of Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 09:01 PM   #10
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

*thread reviving*

I think Boromir did grow a lot as a person. He went from resenting Aragorn to respecting him. I think this shows maturity - he didn't just hold a grudge. He also fought off about thirty Uruk-Hai single-handedly until finally succumbing to horrible wounds.

I also think Sam deserves the #2 spot. He rescued Frodo from a tower guarded by those horrible sentries, and by hundreds of Orcs. He carried Frodo up Mount Doom. How is that not worthy of number 2? Granted, Gandalf defeated a Balrog and Aragorn reclaimed a lost throne and was instrumental in winning Pelennor Fields, but Sam, also a Ringbearer, earns #2 in my mind.

It is hard to compare each individual's accomplishments. Each member of the company did such great deeds, they are hard to contrast with each other.
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Old 11-16-2005, 12:23 AM   #11
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

Strider

Boromir really doesn't deserve last spot. He goes about 3 or 4 I think...he was a key member of the Fellowship all along.
1. Frodo
2. Sam
3. Gandalf
4. Aragorn
5. Boromir
6. Merry
7. Pippin
8. Gimli
9. Legolas
It's too bad Merry and Pippin end up 6 and 7...it's just 1-5 do such impressive stuff...
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Curubethion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 12:55 AM   #12
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I agree with you about Boromir Curubethion, but does Legolas deserve the last spot?

Maybe we should "rank" accomplishments differently and allow for ties.

1. Frodo
2. Sam
3. Aragorn, Gandalf
4. Boromir, Gimli, Legolas, Merry, Pippin

?
Quote:
Old 11-18-2005, 04:57 PM   #13
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

I would say that Boromir accomplished alot, and should be oint second with Sam and Aragorn. He was corrupted by the ring but overcame it, and regained honour in death. That for me is a great accomplishment.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 06:04 PM   #14
tolkienfan
Elf Lord

Boromir did accomplish a lot, but so did everyone else. I'm not sure if he ranks higher than Merry or not. Yeah he did just sneak up behind him, but it had to be hard to do, he'd been black breathed before, I'm sure he was anxious to keep as far away from them as possible. I'm also undecided about Legolas and Gimli.

Frodo
Gandalf/Sam
Aragorn
Merry/Boromir
Pippin
Legolas/Gimli

Thanks so much to Last Child of Ungoliant, Twista, and BeardofPants for my avatar!
tolkienfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 07:31 PM   #15
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcontar_Dunedain
I would say that Boromir accomplished alot, and should be oint second with Sam and Aragorn. He was corrupted by the ring but overcame it, and regained honour in death. That for me is a great accomplishment.
That's an excellent point Telcontar. However, Merry helped kill the Witch-King! I'd say that tops Boromir. Merry and Pippin both also helped repel invaders from their country, and both grew a great deal as people (and I don't just mean physically! )
Quote:
Old 11-18-2005, 08:26 PM   #16
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

Strider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
I agree with you about Boromir Curubethion, but does Legolas deserve the last spot?

Maybe we should "rank" accomplishments differently and allow for ties.

1. Frodo
2. Sam
3. Aragorn, Gandalf
4. Boromir, Gimli, Legolas, Merry, Pippin

?
I like the tie idea, that overcomes some of those difficulties. And about Legolas...all he seemed to be doing was fighting in battles, which doesn't quite stack up to anyone else, except Gimli.
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Curubethion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 08:40 PM   #17
Elanor
Hobbit in the Music

Well, we're talking about two different things here: growth and accomplishment.

Here's my list for accomplishment:

1. Frodo-- carried the ring to Mt. Doom
2. Gandalf-- orchestrated it all, fulfilled his mission
3. Sam-- helped Frodo (a big task!)
4. Aragorn-- reclaimed the throne of Gondor
5. Merry-- helped kill the Witch King
6. Boromir-- gave his life protecting Merry and Pippin
7. Pippin-- saved Faramir
8. Legolas-- lots of fighting
9. Gimli-- lots of fighting

But here's my list for growth:

1. Sam-- went from a simple gardener to the wisest of hobbits, mayor of Hobbiton, and had 12 kids
2. Pippin-- went from a silly hobbit to a warrior and wise leader
3. Gimli-- went from a stubborn dwarf to a kind and tolerant friend
4. Boromir-- went from lusting the ring to saving hobbits
5. Merry-- went from a clever hobbit to a fierce warrior
6. Aragorn-- went from Isildur's heir to the king
7. Frodo-- went from the wisest of hobbits to a wiser but broken and sad person
8. Legolas-- went from a good hunter to a wise warrior
9. Gandalf-- went from the wisest of maiar to an even wiser wizard

When I think of growth, I consider where they were to start with, contrasted with what they learned along the way and how great they became. Yes, Frodo and Gandalf grew on their journey, but when you compare how they started to how they ended up, is the difference that great? I don't think so. Certainly Frodo learned a lot, but is his change for the better? At the end, where Frodo just dwindles and fades away, Sam becomes a strong leader and passes on his wisdom to his children, IMO the greatest growth of all.

Segovia Mazes
Elanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 08:47 PM   #18
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Thoughtful post Elanor. I didn't think to separate growth and accomplishments, because they are different of course.

I agree with both your lists. I think the problems we were having before was because we were trying to include growth and accomplishment in the same list.

For Gandalf's accomplishment, don't forget to include that he defeated a Balrog and became Gandalf the White, head of his order. That's kind of a biggie there.
Quote:
Old 11-18-2005, 09:09 PM   #19
Elanor
Hobbit in the Music

Yes, Gandalf's accomplishments are great. But in the end he doesn't really grow that much, because he just goes back West. He has gained power and prestige, but in Valinor I'm guessing those don't matter as much. The wisdom he gains is negligible compared to the wisdom he has to start with! With the threat of Sauron and the Ring gone, Gandalf presumably ends up much the same as how he began-- a wise maia and helper of the Valar, though if there were another threat the Istari order had to deal with, I'm sure he would be the leader.

Segovia Mazes
Elanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 09:20 AM   #20
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
That's an excellent point Telcontar. However, Merry helped kill the Witch-King! I'd say that tops Boromir. Merry and Pippin both also helped repel invaders from their country, and both grew a great deal as people (and I don't just mean physically! )
I personally think that overcoming the temptation tops, even what Merry did. Isildur who was Numenorean, directly descended from Elros couldn't overcome this temptation.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote