Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-08-2003, 02:13 AM   #1
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Hytorax Part 2: Discussion(New players permitted now)

And now Part 2 begins. If people want a review of Part 1, here's the link: http://www.tolkientrail.com/entmoot/...&postid=218406
If anyone wants to join/rejoin the RPG, it'll be possible now, around the beginning, but not for too long. There are some possibilities open.

For example, people can play officials under King Vahatres of Enedwaith. People can play soldiers under him. Dark villains are now much more open for grabs than they were in the beginning. There is a ruling council in charge of the Shadowhand, and Aasinav has gone to join them. Anyone who wants to play a member of that council or a less high in rank member of the Shadowhand can probably do so, but if so, you might have to wait for a little while. There are a few things Mathron and I have to finish up first, in which the purpose of the bad guys' plan will be revealed. After everything is out in the open, it'll be easier for others to play villains.

So those are some possibilities. Reinforcement griffins are possible. Bushbark and Boulderhead (An ent and a stone giant called an Ontor) were left outside of Néred, the capital of Enedwaith. Because they were left outside, it is perfectly feasible that they decided to do something with their time. In which case they might have gotten reinforcements of their kin- other ents or Ontors. As a matter of a fact, other characters that people might want to play could join up with them.

So any new characters can join them.

Sorry, I'm using a bunch of names that are probably near entirely foreign to people who haven't been around in Part 1. I will give a quite brief summary of the plot leading up to this point.

The main characters(Their names are Aasinav, Adrian Baggins, Glimdrell, Glistenfae, Bushbark, Boulderhead, Gil-Thalion, Elise, Hruad, Brilindil, Aralle, and probably some others I've forgotten) gathered together in Néred, the capital of Enedwaith, and learned that a sorcerer was trying to take over the kingdom. He'd already taken over the mind of the kingdom's king, whose name is Vahatres. The sorcerer's name was Dagankor.

The main characters went to find a magical item called the Hytorax in the Barrow Downs, because they knew that firstly, Dagankor wanted it also. Secondly, they knew that it would be possible to use to break the spell that Dagankor had put on Vahatres.

So they went into the Barrow Downs and got the Hytorax out, passing through a lot of danger. Then they brought it to Néred, and were enabled to enter into the citadel because a man named Dolais assisted them. Dolais risked his political career in helping them, and got them inside. But then they found that Aasinav, their trusted sage, had betrayed them. He had already alerted Dagankor that they were coming and the company walked into a trap. Aasinav took the Hytorax and disappeared, leaving the company in the hands of Dagankor and Vahatres' soldiers.

If anyone wants to find and post one of the later character description documents that Zavron was making, that would be appreciated.

The previous discussion thread in which we'd gone into Part 1 is here: http://www.tolkientrail.com/entmoot/...&postid=220290
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 11:19 AM   #2
Arat-Falathion
A'mael Dalharen Eldarele

Me will play as the elven assasin Glimdrell yet again...
Old 04-08-2003, 09:36 PM   #3
Silverstripe
Empress of the Writewraiths

Location: Running around somewhere inside my head. So what are YOU doing here?!
After being gone for quite awhile, I will return as Aralle. If anyone wants to play a griffin, please PM me, as I do have some information on them that is not commonly known.
Silverstripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 11:45 AM   #4
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

I'll probably be playing both an elf and Griffin, what did you want to tell me about griffins. Feel free to PM me.

Last edited by Finrod Felagund : 04-09-2003 at 11:49 AM.
Finrod Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 11:47 AM   #5
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

Could I play both the elven lord/warrior/healer Fimbren and his friend, the griffin, Entai? Fimbren would have a horse but often ride Entai.
Old 04-09-2003, 02:24 PM   #6
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Lets try to keep the gryphen count down please . Their not REALLY appropriet for Tolkien's world (kind of like how I would love to have unicorns in it, but when you think about it they just don't fit.)
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 05:26 PM   #7
Arat-Falathion
A'mael Dalharen Eldarele

Me also kind of agree that having Griffins rare is important as it is kind of a new race to Tolkiens world. I vote for having only Aralle as griffin at this point, if other griffins are introduced, then perhaps only as minor characters, but I agree with Tessar here. I like the griffin race indeed, marvelous creatures.

I don't meen they ar totaly out of place, for they fit in with the fantasy world indeed, so I want them in, but I'd prefer if they were as few as possible, making them so much more unique and mystical, as was stated as the reason for these creatures not being spoken of before...

I love Aralle, but I am sceptical at letting in more griffins with major roles, that is, as player-characters...

- Glimdrell Silvershadow
Old 04-09-2003, 05:42 PM   #8
Silverstripe
Empress of the Writewraiths

Location: Running around somewhere inside my head. So what are YOU doing here?!
I'm glad you like Aralle, Glimdrell.

Actually, I'm in agreement with Arat-Falathion and Tessar here. Much as I like griffins, they don't quite fit in with this particular world. This is one of the main reasons why Aralle is a shapeshifter. Most people would never even known of the griffins' existence, let alone have a reason to mention them. So it's probably sensible to have very few griffins involved, or only one.

However, it really is up to Lief to decide how many griffins there can/should be, and since he always has wonderful ideas, I know that he could "make it work."
Silverstripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 05:57 PM   #9
Arat-Falathion
A'mael Dalharen Eldarele

That is a good point stripy. Lief has the final saying in this, and I believe he could make it work some way or the other, but still if he could, one can not deny that having more playercharacter-griffins in the game would make the creatures less magnifficent and mystical...

- Glimdrell Silvershadow
Old 04-10-2003, 02:34 AM   #10
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

It's true that there aren't extremely many griffins left. They were largely exterminated in a war with the gargoyles, so they aren't very common. However, I find that it reinforces a species to have more than one player playing it. For example, if someone creates a race, then that race doesn't have as strong of a connection as it will if 1) it's connected by plot and 2) it is shown to be more than a single creature because there are more than one in existance.

I think it would reinforce the griffins' role in Tolkien's world to have more than one in. The primary logical problem with new species not being connected to his world is precisely that they aren't very strongly connected. Someone, or some people playing griffins would cause the species to become more broadly accepted. If Tolkien had created just one Ent and no others, his species wouldn't have felt so much like a species as a mutation. That is probably one of the primary difficulties that this "It's not in Tolkien's world" emphasizes.

And it is logical that there would be more griffins, if we see a need to justify there being more than one. The griffins automatically go where they're needed; it has been crafted into their species that they're drawn by the Valar through the spirit realm toward difficult situations to help solve them. So finding a griffin in a jail shouldn't be extremely weird, especially with a government situation like is in Enedwaith.

So anyway, I'm just saying that if we accept a species into Tolkien's world, we have to accept that as a species. Griffins are an official species now; the primary limitation on them is that there aren't very many of them left at all. If some people want to be playing griffins, that's fine with me.

Finrod, I'm glad you're joining the RPG .

Ah yes, and Adrian, it's great to see you back in the RPG!
Old 04-10-2003, 07:56 AM   #11
Arat-Falathion
A'mael Dalharen Eldarele

Ahh... you have a good point there Lief

and yes, welcome to Finrod and welcome back Adrian!

- Falathion
Old 04-10-2003, 11:07 AM   #12
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

The griffin I play would not have a large part, he would be a quiet companion without much to do, save for in battle.
Old 04-11-2003, 01:10 AM   #13
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

It's up to you what you do with your character. I think it might be better to have something a bit more interesting though, for character. Making a history for the griffin and for the elf would probably be more interesting, though I don't know if you've gotten the history yet about the griffin race from Silverstipe. If you have, then you could use that to make a more interesting background.
Old 04-11-2003, 09:22 AM   #14
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

*glare Leif* You just HAD to take the staff, didn't you? Meany.
Old 04-11-2003, 11:11 AM   #15
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

Oh, but Fimbren does have a fascinating history. His father was a Noldo, His mother was half Teleri, half Vanya. Fmbren was good friends with Finrod but after the Nirnaeth he lived in Gondolin until it fell. Fimbren was a captain in the war afainst Angmar. Fimbren fought in Lorien during the War of the Ring and was god friends with Treebeard. He helped to rtake Moria (Bree to Moria RPG), and has taken part in almost every battle involving elves since the revolt of the Noldor. The Griffin he met only weeks before. Entai was lost as a baby Griffin and raised by a family of woodspeople. They were attacked by bandits who wounded Entai who escaped into Mirkwood where he was found by Thranduil's people and nursed back to health. He fought very little against the Gargoyles and was caught and thrown in prison later for killin a guard who drew a sword on him.
Finrod Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 06:26 PM   #16
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Tessar
*glare Leif* You just HAD to take the staff, didn't you? Meany.
Dagankor's not an idiot. That's what he'd have to be to fall for that trick .
Old 04-11-2003, 06:29 PM   #17
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

So Entai killed a soldier of Enedwaith? Okay, that explains his being in prison. Thanks for the character descriptions, Finrod .
Old 04-11-2003, 07:54 PM   #18
Arat-Falathion
A'mael Dalharen Eldarele

Quote:
Originally posted by Lief Eriksson
Quote:
Originally posted by Tessar *Glare Lief* You just HAD to take the staff, didn't you? Meany
LOL Thatone is old Tessar
Why is it that every wizard rely on that trick?

- Falathion
Old 04-11-2003, 08:31 PM   #19
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Quote:
Originally posted by Arat-Falathion

LOL Thatone is old Tessar
Why is it that every wizard rely on that trick?

- Falathion
[/QUOTE]

ahhh because it usualy works?
Old 04-11-2003, 10:24 PM   #20
Arat-Falathion
A'mael Dalharen Eldarele

Heh Good point actually... Guess it works whenever, just not vs a wizard