Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-03-2003, 12:21 AM   #21
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Quote:
why didn't Maedhros say a prayer to Iluvatar or Manwe for some kind of aid? Why did it wait until Fingon did it?
Would that have violated the Oath of Feanor somehow.

to Artanis
Being slain by a friend is often part of the Warrior ethic

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 03:36 AM   #22
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
Originally posted by afro-elf
to Artanis
Being slain by a friend is often part of the Warrior ethic
So you think this is not considered as a 'wilful death' by the Valar, and so do not imply a fault in Maedhros' spirit?
Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
What I am wondering is, why didn't Maedhros say a prayer to Iluvatar or Manwe for some kind of aid?
Well, if he really was prideful, he would not ask the Valar for any aid. He had sworn an oath against their will, and was banned. Much easier then for Fingon to plea to the Valar, also because the help he asked for was not for himself.
Old 03-03-2003, 05:32 PM   #23
Noahamir
Hobbit

I could think of two reasons why he asked to be killed rather than do it himself.

1.) The Oath - In Middle-Earth it seemed like Oaths had a strong power that could not be broken once given. They overrode the Free Will of the Taker and they were bound magically by there words beyond there control. Even if Meadros had despaired and desired to give up his spirit, his Oath forbid him on giving up his quest to regain the Silmarills and therefore breaking it. (He therefore needed Fingon, a non-oath taker to kill him.)

2.) The simplist is that Elves have to 100% want to die to give up there spirit, but there was still some small subconcious spark inside of Meadros that still wanted to live. (Otherwise Elves would be keeling over all the time when ever they had brief suicidal thoughts.)
Noahamir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 06:05 PM   #24
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
The simplist is that Elves have to 100% want to die to give up there spirit, but there was still some small subconcious spark inside of Meadros that still wanted to live.
A good point.

Quote:
Otherwise Elves would be keeling over all the time when ever they had brief suicidal thoughts.
LOL! Odd mental picture. Very monty python.
Old 03-03-2003, 06:39 PM   #25
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
What I am wondering is, why didn't Maedhros say a prayer to Iluvatar or Manwe for some kind of aid? Why did it wait until Fingon did it?
He was an Exile, and he was very prideful.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 07:05 PM   #26
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
He was an Exile, and he was very prideful.
Fingon was an Exile also. I think it's most likely because of the Oath of Feanor.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 07:19 PM   #27
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Fingon was an Exile also. I think it's most likely because of the Oath of Feanor.
Why would it matter if Fingon was an Exile also?

The Oath is part of the whole pride thing I was talking about. And he is not going to ask Manwe for help when he was locked out of Valinor with his kin. That just wouldn't be his style.
Old 03-03-2003, 07:25 PM   #28
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Why would it matter if Fingon was an Exile also?

The Oath is part of the whole pride thing I was talking about. And he is not going to ask Manwe for help when he was locked out of Valinor with his kin. That just wouldn't be his style.
What I was saying is that being one of the Exiles had nothing to do with it. I believe that Maedhros was unwilling to ask the Valar for aid, because of the Oath, but the fact is, that inspite of the Oath, Manwe sent aid to Maedhros and Fingon, after Fingon's prayer. So the Valar inspite of the Oath never totally forsook the Exiled Noldor, including the sons of Feanor.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 07:40 PM   #29
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
What I was saying is that being one of the Exiles had nothing to do with it. I believe that Maedhros was unwilling to ask the Valar for aid, because of the Oath, but the fact is, that inspite of the Oath, Manwe sent aid to Maedhros and Fingon, after Fingon's prayer. So the Valar inspite of the Oath never totally forsook the Exiled Noldor, including the sons of Feanor.
Oh! I see what you're saying. Makes sense now.

But Fingon and Maedhros were different Elves. I always got the impression that Maedhros was above and beyond when it came to pride. That's why I said what I said before.

But you may feel different.
Old 03-04-2003, 01:56 AM   #30
Maedhros
The Tall

I have to say that I agree with most of the posts about Maedhros pride and character.
I would like to note a difference between M*riel and Maedhros. M*riel's grief was only a matter of her fëa, while Maedhros pain was almost a thing of the hröa, though as time passed, it affected his fëa too. I just don't think that it ever ocurred to him to leave his hröa as M*riel did.
There is also the Morgoth factor, he was purposely keeping him alive, I don't know if there is a way for Morgoth to deny such a fleeing of the hröa, but that is another possibility. Maedhros could have not given up, he gave his word, and he had to keep it to the end.
2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
As a noun American is:
A native or inhabitant of America.
A citizen of the United States.

Then the boy asked, “What is America then?”, and the wise man looked at the dictionary again:
1. The United States.
2. also the A·mer·i·cas. The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.

Confused, the boy asked, “Does the term american refers solely to a us citizen or to any person in North, Central or South America?”
The wise man replied: “What do you think?”, and the boy answered: “It is clear to me that while the term american is used to refers to us citizens, one can also use it to refer to any person who is from that continent too,” the boy thought for a while and asked the wise man, “Am I right?”, and he replied: “But of course.”
The boy wondered, why is it that some people refuse to acknowledge the fact that the term american refers not only to US citizens but to anyone of the American continent?, but then sadly, the boy understood, that it is the calamity of ignorance.
Maedhros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 07:27 AM   #31
Artanis

Quote:
Originally posted by Maedhros
I just don't think that it ever ocurred to him to leave his hröa as M*riel did.
You mean it never occurred to him before Fingon came there?
Old 03-04-2003, 09:03 PM   #32
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Maedhros
I have to say that I agree with most of the posts about Maedhros pride and character.
I would like to note a difference between M*riel and Maedhros. M*riel's grief was only a matter of her fëa, while Maedhros pain was almost a thing of the hröa, though as time passed, it affected his fëa too. I just don't think that it ever ocurred to him to leave his hröa as M*riel did.
There is also the Morgoth factor, he was purposely keeping him alive, I don't know if there is a way for Morgoth to deny such a fleeing of the hröa, but that is another possibility. Maedhros could have not given up, he gave his word, and he had to keep it to the end.
I think that leaving his body and therefore pain and suffering was definitly on his mind towards the end, by his own will ... no. I think that the oath, his pride and the unwillingness to allow Morgoth the pleasure of his defeat kept him from willing it so. If a friend took his life, that would be more honorable. He could keep his pride, and not give in to Morgoth. The oath would still stand without him to satisfy it, but he had brothers and kin that would take up that cause until he could be reborn (if the Silmarils still had not be recaptured by then). And surely, if Fingon had killed Maedhros that would have really pissed off Morgoth.
Old 03-04-2003, 11:13 PM   #33
Maedhros
The Tall

Quote:
You mean it never occurred to him before Fingon came there?
Not like that I think.
2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
As a noun American is:
A native or inhabitant of America.
A citizen of the United States.

Then the boy asked, “What is America then?”, and the wise man looked at the dictionary again:
1. The United States.
2. also the A·mer·i·cas. The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.

Confused, the boy asked, “Does the term american refers solely to a us citizen or to any person in North, Central or South America?”
The wise man replied: “What do you think?”, and the boy answered: “It is clear to me that while the term american is used to refers to us citizens, one can also use it to refer to any person who is from that continent too,” the boy thought for a while and asked the wise man, “Am I right?”, and he replied: “But of course.”
The boy wondered, why is it that some people refuse to acknowledge the fact that the term american refers not only to US citizens but to anyone of the American continent?, but then sadly, the boy understood, that it is the calamity of ignorance.
Maedhros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 03:41 AM   #34
Artanis

Quote:
And surely, if Fingon had killed Maedhros that would have really pissed off Morgoth.
That's a good point.
Old 03-05-2003, 06:27 AM   #35
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Quote:
So you think this is not considered as a 'wilful death' by the Valar, and so do not imply a fault in Maedhros' spirit
Along certain warrior lines it would be that honorable way to go. It would be see as greatness in his spirit.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Old 03-05-2003, 09:05 PM   #36
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Along certain warrior lines it would be that honorable way to go. It would be see as greatness in his spirit.
I see where you are going with this... yes.

BTW, what happened to your cute typing poem? I liked it.
Old 03-05-2003, 11:02 PM   #37
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Originally posted by Noahamir
(Otherwise Elves would be keeling over all the time when ever they had brief suicidal thoughts.)
Little children must be saying 'I don't believe in Elves'.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 03:36 AM   #38
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Quote:
BTW, what happened to your cute typing poem? I liked it.
A little too much levity in it. I like the somber.

'Dern Helm"

Old 03-06-2003, 09:38 AM   #39
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
A little too much levity in it. I like the somber.
So, do both. After all, you don't really think I eat cats do you? Balance is the way to harmony.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:09 PM   #40
DARKastheRAIN
Hobbit

[QUOTE=Elanor Gamgee;198882]... the Elves could die, and did die, by their will; as for example because of great grief or bereavement, or because of the frustration of their dominant desires and purposes. This wilful death was not regarded as wicked, but it was a fault implying some defect or taint in the fea, and those who came to Mandos by this means might be refused further incarnate life. QUOTE]

I thought I remembered that that quote was rejected by Tolkien and replaced with something else... maybe I'm remembering wrong

it would also bring up the question: why would Maedhros need to jump in a fiery to pit when he killed himself in the end if he could have just willingly dropped dead?
DARKastheRAIN is offline   Reply With Quote