Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-30-2000, 07:20 PM   #1
Lillian C

Fans of Finrod Unite!

Okay, that sounded cheezy!

Seriously though, Finrod Felagund is my favorite character in The Silmarillion. He seems to have the warmth of heart that the majority of his kindred lacks, being willing to embrace all peoples, including men and dwarves. He cared for others before himself, and his life ended in self-sacrifice.

Is he a favorite of anyone else???
Old 05-30-2000, 08:40 PM   #2
etherealunicorn

Re: Fans of Finrod Unite!

I agree Lillian, I like Finrod too. I love the scene in the Sil that describes his battle with Sauron.
Old 05-30-2000, 10:42 PM   #3
Eruve

I love Finrod! I love to think that he got released from Mandos fairly quickly and was reunited with his love. He certainly deserved it!
Old 05-31-2000, 01:07 AM   #4
Finduilas

That final battle in the Silm was beautiful. I thought it fitting that he was buried on the island where his own tower once stood.

The Athrabeth Finrod Ah Andreth is an example of what you were talking about, Lillian. Have you read it?
Old 05-31-2000, 01:59 AM   #5
Lillian C

Re: Finrod and Andreth

Yes, I did. I loved that section of Morgoth's Ring! It really showed Finrod's generosity of spirit that was unique among his kind. I mean, imagine a son of Feanor speaking in terms of equality with an aging mortal woman. Not too likely!

BTW, I wish Tolkien had written more about Andreth!
Old 05-31-2000, 06:17 PM   #6
Finduilas

Re: Finrod and Andreth

That essay and the tale of Aragorn and Arwen in LOTR gave me the seed idea for my English 12 project last year (much to my teacher's frustration ) called the Fates of the Eruhini. It's on my webpage.
Old 06-01-2000, 09:04 PM   #7
easygreen

Death to the sons of Feanor

Finrod is definitely one of the coolest characters in The Silmarillion. The other cool characters are Fingon and the Edain. And Elwe isn't bad since he does finally come around to appreciating Beren....

One of the things that frustrated me most about the book is that real buttheads like Celegorm and Curufin die in one sentence. I was hoping for long drawn-out death scenes for them, you know, with lots of pain and nasty dismemberments.
Old 06-01-2000, 11:45 PM   #8
Eruve

Re: Death to the sons of Feanor

LOL, there's always fanfic...
Old 06-02-2000, 01:44 AM   #9
Lillian C

...Speaking of fanfics...

Finduilas said she would open a fanfic section on her site if enough people showed interest. Just think, the first fanfic posted could be entitled "The Long, Drawn-out, Bloody Demise of Celegorm and Curufin."
Old 06-06-2000, 06:26 PM   #10
etherealunicorn

fanfic

Lol, that works for me. Hmm...have to put my nasty little mind to work on that. We could always draw and quarter them. Or boiling, always a fav.
Old 06-15-2000, 07:29 AM   #11
Loopy

Re: fanfic

muahahahaha! your ideas intrigue me...
Old 06-15-2000, 11:26 AM   #12
anduin

Yay!! It's Loopy! I'm glad they you are here, cuz my BM hasn't worked for your Pig Latin site.
Old 06-15-2000, 09:09 PM   #13
Darth Tater

Long drawn out deaths, sounds like fun
Old 02-10-2001, 04:12 PM   #14
Captain Stern

Finrod is one of the few TRUE heroes in the

Silmarilion along with ULMO the Vala.

He was great and kind of spirit but was also brave could also dish out lots of hurt to the bad guys e.g he killed a werewolf with his hands and his teeth! Another brilliant part of the book.
Old 02-19-2001, 06:12 PM   #15
lindil

Finrod and Galadriel and the vanyar

Finrod is def. the best of the princes of the Noldor,in many senses. I wonder how much of this is due to the combined Vaya/teler/nold strain of which he and Galadriel were the most revealed examples.
the athrabeth in HoME 10 is one of the most beautiful and profound things JRRT wrote. Almost makes up for not finishing the Silmarillion! One other source of lore on Finrod [mentioning the reason and skill behind his ability to read the minds of the Beornings in Ossiriand and thus learn their language] is the Osanwe-Kenta
a very fascinating essay that was left out of Home 11. It is available from the journal Vinyar Tengwar,no link but a search should turn it up. It is well worth the trouble to get.
Old 02-25-2017, 06:10 PM   #16
Galin
Elven Warrior

I'm a Finrod fan!

Just sayin'
Galin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 02:11 PM   #17
Nerwen
Elven Warrior

Well, he is certainly better than Feanor, blech
“Faërie contains many things besides elves and fays, and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants, or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted.” - JRRT. "On Faerie-Stories"
Nerwen is offline   Reply With Quote