Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-13-2002, 04:15 PM   #1
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Gandalf Why did Glorfindel come back to life?

In the Silmarilion Glorfindel was killed by a balrog in near Gondolin. How could he be in Rivendel in LOTR?
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 05:15 PM   #2
Nibs
Head Hollara

It's not clear whether or not they are the same. Tolkien reuses many names throughout Middle-Earth, such as Denethor and most of the Dwarven-lords. To my knowledge (or maybe just my opinion), they're different persons. This is probably just another facet of details where it's merely your opinion.

Ever heard of Mormons? I'm one. Click here to know more about us.
Nibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 05:50 PM   #3
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Actually Tolkien wrote an essay about it, it's published in Peoples of Middle-earth. As it turns out they are indeed the same person. Glorfindel died, his spirit went to Mandos, he was purged of all guilt and restored to his body in the Blessed Realm. He remained there and gained back the innocence of the unrebellious Eldar, before heading off to Middle-earth in the Year of Dread in the Second Age (1600) in order to aid Gil-Galad against Sauron.
Old 03-13-2002, 05:59 PM   #4
Nibs
Head Hollara

So that's why we keep you Ents around here... maybe I'll change my opinion after I read that. Thanks.

Ever heard of Mormons? I'm one. Click here to know more about us.
Nibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 06:16 PM   #5
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

Of course what's mysterious is it seems the elves of rivendell did nothing for the last millennium of the third age.
Old 03-13-2002, 06:20 PM   #6
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

The short answer:

All elves come back to life.

The real question is "Why did Glorfindel and Glorfindel alone return to Middle Earth"
Old 03-14-2002, 01:37 PM   #7
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

But again, we come to the question of whether a s**** of writing by JRR, or even an essay, can override the authority of the writings as published. Of course, Silmarillion was edited by Christopher, and didn't he admit somewhere (I'm not sure where) that the Glorfindel thingy was his own mistake?

I know there is a lot of interesting info in the additional collections of Tolkien's writings, but I look rather askance at them because he didn't integrate that material into his published writings (Silmarillion aside). Not in any way saying that one could not use those additional writings as sourcing, I just don't give greater credence to those collections. For all we know, those essays were written, perused, then tossed aside by Ronald. A lot of disjointed s****s of writings might confuse the issue.

Again, I don't think the re-emergence of the reincarnated Glorfindel, or whether Glorfindel of LotR is the same as the Silmarillion Glorfindel, can be definitively resolved, neither through the writings published while Ronald was still alive and re-editing, nor through the post-mortem collections of his discarded and unincorporated works.

[broken record removed from turntable]
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 01:41 PM   #8
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Just as an aside, dear Mooters, the previous post included no "expletives", the filter took out a very common word and replaced it with asterisks. The word used was a synonym to "shard, shred, remnant, small bit, torn part" and the filter thought it was a slightly unkind word with an "s" tacked on front.

Just in the interests of full disclosure......
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
Old 03-14-2002, 08:15 PM   #9
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

ANd the Simarillion is heavily edited itself (re fall of doriath)
Old 03-15-2002, 12:55 AM   #10
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Quote:
know there is a lot of interesting info in the additional collections of Tolkien's writings, but I look rather askance at them because he didn't integrate that material into his published writings (Silmarillion aside). Not in any way saying that one could not use those additional writings as sourcing, I just don't give greater credence to those collections. For all we know, those essays were written, perused, then tossed aside by Ronald. A lot of disjointed s****s of writings might confuse the issue.

Perhaps they were not integrated into the story because the refection did not come after they were published, maybe print concstraints, maybe he never thought that his books would warrant such discussion and he was just clearing things up for himself
but in the end who knows? ( the shadow knows. mwahhaaa!!!)

i guess BOTH shadows where meant in the above

though you don't give greater credence, do you view them as equal or lesser

In another most you mentioned HOB, LOTR, and the SIL as things you "accept"
why the last?

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2002, 11:41 AM   #11
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

I except from accepting the final tome(s) as authoritative because, considering Ronald's editing and re-editing process, the writings contained in HoME did not receive the same level of revision as Hobbit or LotR. Silmarillion can also be considered as "less than totally authoritative" because, although Ronald edited and re-edited it throughout many years, it is still a compilation with the hand of Christopher inserted. So, LotR and Hobbit are primary authority, Silmarillion and a couple others secondary, and HoME tertiary. Writings by authors aside from Chris and Ron would be quaternary.
Old 03-16-2002, 10:20 AM   #12
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Gandalf

now I didn't understand-Glorfindel and Glorfindel are different elves or the same elf?
Old 03-16-2002, 04:40 PM   #13
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

It depends on what you accept

some people " who are EVEN good guys" like bropous " (afro-elf tenses waiting for the back lash)

tend to give less credit to works that are not LOTR or HOB

however, Jrrr tolkein DID write that it is ONE glorfindel

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Old 03-16-2002, 04:41 PM   #14
Findegil
Elven Warrior

Borpous, if I take your view strictly, then the question is viod. Since only looking to the Texts published by JRRT himself only a few listener to The Fall of Gondolin in the Essay club of the university of Leeds in 1926 would know about Glorfindel of Gondolin. And I don't think anybody of them would even remember it.

I admit that your view can be taken. It is only The Silamrillion I am wondering about. What you say is, that it is better to take a text more or less heavily edited by Christopher Tolkien that in part he even considered now as failure than the sources out of which he worked.

Regrads
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2002, 01:07 PM   #15
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

OK. I think I'll believe to my sister and you (afro elf and Findegil) if you said that there's just one Glorfindel.
Old 03-17-2002, 01:43 PM   #16
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

"What you say is, that it is better to take a text more or less heavily edited by Christopher Tolkien that in part he even considered now as failure than the sources out of which he worked."

Incorrect. I state exactly the converse, that the texts of Ronald take precedence over the work edited by Christopher from a nearly-completed original (Silmarillion), and that Silmarillion takes precedence over the History of Middle-Earth series because that series is more of a collection of (with exceptions) unfinished or discarded versions of what was covered in the LotR and Silmarillion (along with some other material).

Also, I do not in any way see Christopher Tolkien as any stripe of "failure". He did fantastic work assembling a final version of silmarillion, and his hard and intense work in editing "HoME" cannot be overlooked. However, he is simply not John Roald Ruel.
Old 03-18-2002, 07:57 AM   #17
Dwarven Sen
Elven Warrior

Nazgul

i have always believed that there is one glorfindel because well actually there is no because it s just what i believe i dont think anyone lashed your back

i have to say in ther lord of the rings glor was a poncy bugger i think dying ruined his personality a little
mind you being i guess being swapped for arwen will do that to some guys

Dont heckle the supervillain

Note to Self: Remember that sarcasm is hard to detect from text.

What ever you do, don't click this link!

my LJ
Dwarven Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2002, 08:40 AM   #18
Findegil
Elven Warrior

Quote:
and that Silmarillion takes precedence over the History of Middle-Earth series because that series is more of a collection of (with exceptions) unfinished or discarded versions of what was covered in the LotR and Silmarillion (along with some other material)
Before we are going on with all this misunderstandings: the quoted sentence is one I am talking about. The History of Middle-Earth gives use a chance to see what parts of The Silmarillion is original and which are "rewritten" by Christopher Tolkien. And I wondered that you will not take that chance. Overall I think we can't make such a general decision, but had to deal with the single texts.

Only to make that point clear: I didn't say that I think Christopher Tolkien made mistakes. I quoted loosely what he himself said in The History of Middle-Earth volume 11 The War of the Jewels in the chapter about the Fall of Doriath.

I hope this Time I made my point clearer than before.
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2002, 11:16 AM   #19
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Yes, much clearer, but still not on the mark completely. Actually, in that quote, I observe that there were exceptions in HoME. And no, it does not mean I won't give HoME a chance, I just think if your're looking for a definitive answer, such as Glorfindel's possible reincarnation, if it can't be found in the primary source, you go to the secondary, if it ain't in the seondary, you go to the tertiary, so forth. It does not mean to totally discount HoME. I just think that Tolkien's editing/re-editing/re-editing process had not been applied to (most of) the material in HoME. It is this crucible process that makes one source any more "authoritative" than another.

HoME is still Tolkien, just different visions of his world from very esoteric focuspoints. Its usefulness is not in dispute, just questions as to whether it can be as reliable as, for say, Lord of the Rings in discerning the Master's final intent.
Old 03-18-2002, 02:25 PM   #20
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

That was stated quite clearly

thanks

'Dern Helm"