Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-26-2010, 08:43 PM   #1
Peregrina_Took
Hobbit

Gollum I'm having trouble reading the Silmarillion

(Sorry if this is the wrong place for this thread... )

OK, so here's the deal - I've heard a lot about The Silmarillion, and I would very very, VERY much like to read it. What I've heard about it sounds fastinating, and I would love to learn more about Middle-earth.

So I got it from a library a few weeks ago, and tried to read it. I couldn't. I got lost on the first page and gave it up after the second. I tried it again recently - no go. I just can't wade through. Beowulf? No biggie. Jane Austen? No trouble. Silmarillion? I can't make it.

But I'm still definately interested in the story - what do I do?
Old 09-26-2010, 10:28 PM   #2
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

I suggest maybe wait a little, and then try again sometime later.

The first time I read The Hobbit, it seemed slow, and I don't think I finished - and I had to later come back and start over and read it again. I'm SURE that happened when I read LOTR.

Like you, when I finally tried to start The Silmarillion, I felt lost. And I didn't even try again for a long time. Finally, I wanted to do another re-read of Hobbit and LOTR (maybe my 4th or 5th - many years after my first) and decided to read Silmarillion first, so I'd be familiar with all the ancient references when I went through the other two. That time I made it without any real difficulty.

I think we have to slow ourselves down to read Tolkien's works. We have to be patient and let the story grow. But in doing that - we end up totally absorbed in the work.

Good luck. And welcome to Entmoot!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 06:18 AM   #3
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Agree with that.

What you have, basically, is a load of background stories and notes, some more complete than others, which were groomed for publication by JRRT's son. Some are better than others, some are downright unreadable. But all of them put detail onto the greater vision, and therefore it's worth making the effort IMO.

Note that there is no requirement to read them in order. I would advise you pick a couple of the best stories and work your way in.

I'm sure people on this forum could chime in with "favourite chapters", or at least, ones that are good starting points.

My suggestion would be Of Beren and Luthien, as it's nice background for LOTR, and the tale of Aragorn and Arwen.

The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 11:01 AM   #4
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Hello Ms. Took! (assuming the Ms....)

I think pretty much everyone here has had a similar experience - you're just at the beginning of it Put it down ... but pick it up after awhile. Repeat and rinse ... er, repeat as necessary until you're hooked

It is WELL worth the read ... and the re-read ... and the re-reread

What helped me the most was to actually jot down the names and a several word description of the main characters, especially those with names that start with F, which seem to be almost all of them at one point!! Then instead of coming to a screeching halt when I came across a name and couldn't remember any context, I would glance at my little note-sheet and go aha! NOW that makes sense!

Keep encouraged, and keep it out so you can see it. You can't escape now! I bet you'll soon be on the HoME series! (the History of Middle Earth)

And yes to wot Gaffer said - there's no need to read in order, although I think eventually it helps. But for now, start something, and if you're having trouble, dump it and go on.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 09-27-2010 at 11:02 AM.
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 11:07 AM   #5
Peregrina_Took
Hobbit

Thanks for the help!! I like the idea of writing down the character names.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:09 AM   #6
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an View Post
I think pretty much everyone here has had a similar experience -
Not me. I dove right into it and burned through it in a few days. Perhaps I had been trained by reading many mythologies and ancient literature.
"Mighty are the Ainur, and mightiest among them is Melkor, but that he may know, and all the Ainur, that I am Iluvatar, those things that ye have sung, I will show them forth, ... And thou, Melkor, shalt see that no theme may be played that hath not its uttermost source in me,"

Last edited by Lefty Scaevola : 09-27-2010 at 04:40 PM.
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 03:50 PM   #7
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

yes, that probably helped - I think you're the exception, though!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 12:01 PM   #8
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrina_Took View Post
I got lost on the first page and gave it up after the second. I tried it again recently - no go. I just can't wade through. Beowulf? No biggie. Jane Austen? No trouble. Silmarillion? I can't make it.

If the first part - with the creation myth - doesn't do anything for you, skip it for now, and go straight to the main part, the Silmarillion itself. There, look at the index, and look for chapters that seem to interest you. Note down names like some others suggested, and go back and forth as you please. You can always read it in order some time later

I wasn't too taken with it first either. I saw it in the student bookshop when it was new, I flicked through it, but didn't buy. I didn't read it until years later ...

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Varnafindë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:08 PM   #9
EllethValatari
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrina_Took View Post
I got lost on the first page and gave it up after the second. I tried it again recently - no go. I just can't wade through.
I had the same problem when I started reading it when I was 12. It was literally TMI. I couldn't process it all, so I stopped. A couple months later, I started it again, and it was still too deep. Being a mathematical person, though, I started making charts of the Valar and Maia, looking up any references, etc., and it became a very enjoyable task. I would suggest getting Robert Foster's The Complete Guide to Middle-Earth. It's a dictionary of anything specific to ME-extremely helpful. If you want to be even more thorough, read The History of Middle Earth and then go back and read any of Tolkien's books you want-you will be amazed by their development.

Don't give up on the Simarillion. It takes a little work, but if you love Tolkien's writings, the work will be worth it.

After my first study, I read the Simarillion two more times.
"We have come from God, and inevitably the myths woven by us, though they contain error, will also reflect a splintered fragment of the true light, the eternal truth that is with God. Our myths may be misguided, but they steer however shakily towards the true harbour, while materialistic 'progress' leads only to a yawning abyss and the Iron Crown of the power of evil."
— J.R.R. Tolkien

Last edited by EllethValatari : 09-28-2010 at 05:10 PM.
EllethValatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:11 PM   #10
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I like Elleth's idea.

My suggestion is treat it like something you have to read for school that you know will take you a while to get into. Make yourself read one paragraph the first day. Try to read two the next day, three after that, etc... It's what I had to do to learn how to read things like The Illiad. After a day or two I fell into the rhythm and started enjoying reading it, but taking it slow and learning to wrap my mind around that style took me a few days.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 07:48 AM   #11
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

The Silmarillion isn't really a book you can read like a normal novel. I was kind of used to the style, since I had a few mythology books quite like it, but I still found it useful to read a chapter each time. And then take a bit of time to digest it before continuing. It also does help to occassionally go back and re-read a bit. And I often looked at the genealogy charts at the back of the book, it was easier to remember family-links that way.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:33 PM   #12
katya
Elven Maiden

Same story here. Tried it right after I read LotR for the first time. Didn't pick it up again for a couple years, but now it's maybe my favorite. Everyone else has had some great advice so far, I just thought I'd add that the beginning is hard to get into, but there are some great and much more readable stories after that (Luthien and Beren come to mind).
Old 09-30-2010, 11:00 PM   #13
Wilhelm
Elven Warrior

I think the people that put it down and came back to it later probably had the right idea. I was determined and I forced my way through it. At first, I found it more like reading a text book than a novel. It did get much better as the reading went on.

I had "a whole heap of trouble" keeping the names straight (As Rian mentioned - all those names starting with "F"). I was constantly flipping to the index and as a result losing the flow of the stories (hence the text book comment).

Part way through it started coming together - I had sorted out enough of the names that the introduction of a new character was not completely disruptive. I started to appreciate the stories.

In short, I had to invest the effort to establish a base level of knowledge and understanding before I could enjoy what I was reading. If it weren't Tolkien I doubt I would have been stubborn enough to stick with it. In the end, I believe it will be worth whatever time or effort you put into it.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:22 PM   #14
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

I've tried to read it many times and though I've never made it all the way through yet, I get further every time. As for the creation myth, I've read it the most, and every time I do, I enjoy it more. (I'm one of those people who just can't skip around in a book .)

Don't know what is keeping me from finishing, but suspect it's because I don't slow down enough to let it sink in. Putting it down for now and coming back later is helping me. And I probably should write down the names.

So, Peregrina_Took, you're definitely not alone!
cee2lee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 05:18 PM   #15
Alcuin
Salt Miner

FWIW, I want to echo what you’ve already been told. I’ve read all of Silmarillion several times, but only once cover-to-cover, and that was not my first reading. I suggest that you find a story that strikes your fancy, read it, and look for another.

Unlike Hobbit or Lord of the Rings, Silmarillion is not a continuous, integrated storyline. Tolkien had a terrible time getting it published, and in fact, it was never published in his lifetime: his son Christopher worked with Guy Gavriel Kay, then a very young Canadian author whose parents were friends of CJRT’s wife, to get it published four years after his father’s death. There is a new thread on Tolkien’s collected Letters, and one of the topics that may later arise concerns his unsuccessful attempts to get Silmarillion published, as well as the more and less diplomatic parries publishers used to avoid it. Only after the spectacular success of Lord of the Rings did anyone want to publish the thing, and then because they realized there was an enormous after-market for follow-on books.
Alcuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 10:34 AM   #16
Elennár
Sapling

I'd like to chime in with some of my favourite chapters so you can go start with them if you like:
The Lay of Leitheian (The Story of Beren and Lúthien)
The Darkening of Valinor
The Battle of the Unnumbered Tears
Of the Sun and the Moon
I'll come back later to add more.
Elennár is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 10:59 PM   #17
EllethValatari
Elven Warrior

Welcome Elennar!

Interesting approach-I wouldn't think to suggest reading certain better chapters before others-then again I'm the type of person that insists upon reading a book from cover to cover. Each to his own
"We have come from God, and inevitably the myths woven by us, though they contain error, will also reflect a splintered fragment of the true light, the eternal truth that is with God. Our myths may be misguided, but they steer however shakily towards the true harbour, while materialistic 'progress' leads only to a yawning abyss and the Iron Crown of the power of evil."
— J.R.R. Tolkien
EllethValatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 11:20 PM   #18
Elennár
Sapling

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllethValatari View Post
Welcome Elennar!

Interesting approach-I wouldn't think to suggest reading certain better chapters before others-then again I'm the type of person that insists upon reading a book from cover to cover. Each to his own
Hello EllethValatari! Normally, I wouldn't use this approach for a novel either. Thankfully though, as the Silmarillion isn't exactly linear or continuous, people can still enjoy it this way; and then come back and read the whole thing.
Elennár is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 07:17 AM   #19
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

I also agree with EllethValatari. While the stories are episodic, they also build one upon another. And to pick up a story in the middle, without knowing what the background is, I think could still leave the reader with a very unclear picture. If that has worked for some of you - that's fine. It doesn't work for me.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 02:28 PM   #20
Peregrina_Took
Hobbit

Update: About two weeks ago, I picked the Silmarillion back up. I started with the story of Beren and Luthien, as I am relatively familiar with that story's plot. After that, I went back to the beginning and read it from the start. I'm half way through right now, and am having little to no trouble with it, although I am checking the Name Index a lot to keep track of who everyone is.

Thanks for all the help!