Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-23-2006, 06:28 AM   #21
Forfirith
Hobbit

Valar : Varda, for the same reasons elves like her...
Maiar : probably Uinen, I like her wild character and her relation with Numenor...but also Melian because she has got so much involved in Middle Earth's story.
Elves: hum..don't know...I like Maedhros because of his life and because he has wanted to restrain his brothers...I like also much Turgon in Gondolin or Finrod.
Forfirith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 12:37 PM   #22
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Valar: Nienna. My favourite used to be Ulmo, but Nienna, as someone who turns sorrow into wisdom, has really begun to fascinate me. In a story so tragic, her role seems incredibly important, and yet she's often overlooked.

Maiar: Melian, probably. Sauron is interesting too.

Elf: Oh dear. Maedhros, though I really don't understand why I don't prefer Maglor. I need to get ready for class and don't have the time to fangirl them, so I'll edit and explain later.

My other favourite Elves are Finrod, Luthien, Daeron, and Fingon.

Men: Tuor. And Nienor.

Dwarfs: Azaghal

Neil Gaiman
Elemmírë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 09:38 AM   #23
ecthelion
Enting

I like all the guys who did the cool Hitech stuff
Aule for the valar
Feanor for the elves, without him there would be no story at all
And Bill for the horses

What does "LOL" mean?
ecthelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 10:50 AM   #24
Galdor_of_the_Tree
Sapling

Vala: Aule. Though noble, he also displays the 'urge to create' that destroys many of the main characters. That he can conquer this urge speaks volumes.
Elf: Maglor. Even after being blinded by the Oath and his terrible deeds, he was still the only one of the brothers who could suggest forsaking the Oath.
Maia: Sauron. Mainly because of his use of shape-shifting.
Man: Beor the Old. He had the courage to befriend the elves after leading his people out of the darkness, and even took up service with Felagund.
Galdor_of_the_Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 06:57 PM   #25
Halbarad of the Dunedain
Elven Warrior

Well if I can use nemes out side of The Silmarillion I would choose

Valar: Aule the Smith!

Maia: Eonwe herald of Manwe

Elves: The sons of Elrond... i forget their names exactlly, Elrohir and Ellodan.... something like that?

Dwaves: Durin the Deathless

Men: Halbarad of the Dunedain

Hobbits: Meriadoc Brandybuck

Orc/Uruk: Orc Warrior #5 in the battle of the Galadden Fields, hah!

i'll post something more comprehensive when i have more time...

"I want to see pretty people doing ugly things..." ~ Unknown

"Damn it n' such!" ~ Stewie Griffen
Halbarad of the Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 05:27 AM   #26
jammi567
I'm Eru, and lord of Arda.

valar = morgoth
maia = sauron
elf(s) = feanor + luthien
men = beren
dwaves = those who killed thingol!
jammi567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 12:17 PM   #27
The Telcontarion
The one true King of the human race, direct descendant of Adam and heir to the kings of old. "You owe me your fealty." The Tar Minyaturion

Let me just say that I am new here, but this is were I have always belonged. I love this site and thank you guys for being apart of it.

Valar: Tulkas - because he is a bad ass, and if it where not for Manwe he would have gone off and killed Morgoth long since. Mandos is a close second; his word is doom!!!!!

Maia: I can't believe no one said Olorin yet - commonly known as Gandalf - he was mentioned in the Sil. Though most of his deeds we know of was in the war of the ring, There where far greater battles that took place even before the fathers of the elves awoke, I am sure he was a great warrior then, especially in his true form and power; in the Sil he was said to be the wisest of the Maia, remember!!!

Elves: Feanor the spirit of fire. Close second, his heir in the second age and true king of all the eldar at that time - yes even above Gil-galad - being the eldest suvivor of the house of Finwe, Celebrimbor, maker of the rings of power; mightiest works of the eldar save the silmarili only.

Men: Earindil; for though he was accounted among the elves, his heart was with his fathers people and if it were not for his wife Elwing, so he would have chosen. That makes him a man in my book, if only in heart.

Dwarves: I did not like many Dwarves in the Sil, they all seemed so mean spirited. I will go with Durin the deathless though he was mentioned ever so breefly in the Sil.

Ecclesiasticus 2:1-5
1 My son, if thou come to serve the Lord, prepare thy soul for temptation...
...4 Whatsoever is brought upon thee take cheerfully, and be patient when thou art changed to a low estate. 5 For gold is tried in the fire, and acceptable men in the furnace of adversity.

Romans 5:3
And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;
The Telcontarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 12:34 PM   #28
jammi567

just to correct you slightly, you can't kill a valar or a maia.
Vote for me, Jammi567, in the 2008 Entmoot elections, and you will get many of the things we need: free, unbiased, newspapers; a strong alliance with many countries, so that war doesn't start over someone breaking their nose on a doorframe; etc, etc

This forum is lonely. It's new and confused, and doesn't have many friends yet. Help today by joining for free, posting, and posting this message and link in your sig. So please, join and help make it feel welcomed and loved.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:39 PM   #29
The Telcontarion
The one true King of the human race, direct descendant of Adam and heir to the kings of old. "You owe me your fealty." The Tar Minyaturion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammi567
just to correct you slightly, you can't kill a valar or a maia.
What you supposed happened to Saruman, Sauron, Haun or even Ungoliant for that matter. To get really technical, you can't kill anyone in middle-earth, you can destroy their bodies but never the spirit.

...4 Whatsoever is brought upon thee take cheerfully, and be patient when thou art changed to a low estate. 5 For gold is tried in the fire, and acceptable men in the furnace of adversity.

And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;

Last edited by The Telcontarion : 06-14-2006 at 12:41 PM.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:31 PM   #30
jammi567

don't you get bloody checky with me now.
Vote for me, Jammi567, in the 2008 Entmoot elections, and you will get many of the things we need: free, unbiased, newspapers; a strong alliance with many countries, so that war doesn't start over someone breaking their nose on a doorframe; etc, etc

This forum is lonely. It's new and confused, and doesn't have many friends yet. Help today by joining for free, posting, and posting this message and link in your sig. So please, join and help make it feel welcomed and loved.
Old 06-14-2006, 03:07 PM   #31
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Telcontarion
What you supposed happened to Saruman, Sauron, Haun or even Ungoliant for that matter. To get really technical, you can't kill anyone in middle-earth, you can destroy their bodies but never the spirit.
they probably wondered around haunting mansions and such

seriously though, you're right, you can't destroy a spirit,only Eru can. Sauron was so weak that he never again arose. Saruman's spirit drifted into the East. as for the others...I'm not sure...
Arien the Maia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 03:22 PM   #32
Landroval
Elven Warrior

Quote:
only Eru can
I beg to differ:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letter #211
The indestructibility of spirits with free wills, even by the Creator of them, is also an inevitable feature, if one either believes in their existence, or feigns it in a story.
I have a wicked feeling there is a similar quote in Myths transformed... wondered where I put it
Landroval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 03:28 PM   #33
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landroval
I beg to differ:

I have a wicked feeling there is a similar quote in Myths transformed... wondered where I put it
well well, you put me in my place then didn't you
Arien the Maia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 03:37 PM   #34
jammi567

anyways, on another topic, what's your faverate peoples?

Old 06-14-2006, 05:09 PM   #35
The Telcontarion

What ever!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammi567
don't you get bloody checky with me now.
Checky...hmph!!!!

Last edited by The Telcontarion : 06-14-2006 at 05:11 PM.
Old 07-27-2006, 07:50 PM   #36
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Valar: Nienna. I think she's often overlooked, where in a world to which suffering is so integral, her importance really is paramount. The concept of turning grief to wisdom is just so beautiful, I can't help but love her.

Maiar: Melian or Sauron. Melian interests me, but I can't understand her love for Thingol. :P My hatred of him is something that likely will never change. Sauron... the mixture of obvious evil and the sparks of goodness (if you can call his steadfast loyalty to Melkor that) is really fascinating. His fall I really think is more interesting than Melkor's.

Elf: Maedhros and Maglor. I like those two almost equally, though I've always been a bit more obsessive in my love for Maedhros (it must be the name Russandol ). I can't blame any of them for that damn Oath, considering the circumstances and what they all must have felt (terror, shock, betrayal, grief, and their obvious love for Fëanor), but I really respect those two for holding up so well under it for so long. I could write a lot more but I won't...

Men: Tuor! The way he's written in Unfinished Tales is gorgeous, I simply have to love him. Especially considering the almost haphazard way he seemed to accept his destiny.

Dwarfs: Azaghal. Probably because of that little line somewhere that mentions Maedhros having saved him at one point...

Neil Gaiman
Elemmírë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 09:02 AM   #37
Leviathan
Sapling

Valar- Orome, he spends his time hunting evil, always working against the evils of Morgoth, all creatures of darkness fear him. He gave Haun to Celegorm, and that dog was awesome, the first to disembody Sauron, long before his "death" at the fall of Numenor or at the Seige of Barad Dur. Orome lead the Wild Hunt, like the Germanic God Woden, I would go as far as to say he domesticated the horse and dog, being he was the first to have them.
Maiar- Osse, like a wicked force of nature, he is feared and respected, and as the Leviathan of Ekkaia he is my master.
Elf- Beleg, he was the lyalist friend to Turin and a valiant warrior, facing danger strong and proud. I still dont know how a band of scrappy men managed to tie him up. Maybe he thought better of picking a fight know that when Turin returned things would be set in order.
Men- Turin, no man ever faced such hardship yet achieved so much as the slaying of Glaudrung, the first and most formadible of dragons. It is written that in the end Turin himself will step forth to battle Morgoth.
Dwarf- Azaghal, even though he didn't defeat the dragon he drove the young Glaudrung back.
Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 11:13 PM   #38
Valtir
Sapling

Valar -- Aule. Dude could work a forge. But more importanly, he's "Melkor gone good", making the right choices where Melkor always chose wrong.

Maiar - Olorin that was. Agitator, pipe smoker, fireworks technician.

Elf - Finrod Felagund. Discoverer of mankind, friend of dwarfs, honorable to the last.

Men - Hurin. Brave enough to mock Morgoth to his face, and I'm not aware of any other than Feanor who did that. Though, that has some consequences....

Dwarf - Meh. Not a Dwarf that I know of, but I bore easily of the gold, ore, caves and bearded ladies.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:49 PM   #39
NelyafinweMaitimo
Hobbit

Valar: Namo. He had so much impact as a character in The Silmarillion, but is little noticed. Though Maglor might have found his curses a little unpleasant.

Maiar: Melian. If she told Thingol once, she told him a thousand times, just give them the Silmarils. But nooo...

Elf: Nerdanel. My hat is off to any female who could endure for so long in a house full of males. Particularly THAT house full of males. Remember the havoc the Sons of Feanor caused in Middle-earth, living in separate kingdoms? Put them into one house, add Feanor into the mix, and buy some good soap for the wash to get rid of blood-stains.

Man: Haleth. Very sexy lady. Aragorn wished he was as tough as her.

Dwarf: Narvi. Not much told of him, but he was crafty enough to work as a partner to Celebrimbor.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:28 PM   #40
carlrodd
Sapling

valar: melkor. i am constantly intrigued by his transformation. he played such a huge role in creating so much of what most love about middle earth. my favorite part of middle earth is the misty mountains, which i believe melkor threw up to stop orome and his host from riding. he starts out as like a brilliant, jealous, spiteful artist, and descends to the most utter evil. but in between there are all of these interesting grey areas. for instance, it was quite some time before he ever took a life. his agitation prior to killing the trees and finwe was almost creative in a sense...in the sense that any of his destructiveness almost kind of enhanced the wonder and variety of arda.

maiar: the balrog of moria. so little was known about him. first perception of him is usually very beastial...like unintelligent, indiscriminate, demonic wrath. but he was a maiar. he also was lord of moria. he was presumably supremely intelligent and cunning, in addition to being unbelievably fearsome.

elves: feanor; because of two statements about him....that miriel put so much of her spirit into feanor that she had to pass to the halls of mandos, and also that when feanor was killed, his spirit was so strong that his body was consumed with fire. i would loved to have heard his speech in front of the noldor when he convinced the better part of them to forsake valinor and chase melkor.

men: elros tar-minyatar. half-elven of course, but counted among men. the first king of men. imagine life in numenor under his rule.

dwarves: durin the deathless. not featured prominently of course, but i guess i am intrigued by his power as not only the firstborn and most powerful of dwarves, but in reality, the first born of all that were counted as children of iluvatar. i would love to know how old he lived to be exactly. i love that though khazadum was likely the greatest of any dwarven settlement, it is but a whisper to those living in beleriand throughout the first age.
carlrodd is offline   Reply With Quote