Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-01-2006, 09:35 PM   #1
Qel Vandeth
Sapling

Arwen Undomiel Favorite character(s) in each race

Just want to know the favorite character in each race in the Silmarillion.

for me,

Valar: Ulmo. He seems the one who is actually doing some job all the time. Manwe and the others seems to care very little about what happens in Middle-Earch, and other decided to take action if they are aroused (eg. the Quest of Earendil), while Ulmo constantly patrols his waters to see if anything among the Elves that would require his aid.

Maiar: Sauron. Maybe a funny choice, but it is because of him that we have all the story of Lord of the Ring after Silmarillion. And I admire his cunning and creativity and will to learn from his master Morgoth, which he eventually surpasses. Although obviously he's an evil person, I still admire him. I also like Melian for the way he chose to come to Middle Earth and become queen with an Elf lord, but I don't like Thingol so it lowered my liken towards her.

Elf: Oh this is a difficult one, but I would say Fingon the Valiant. I don't understand why he gets so little credit from most people, I mean, it takes a hell of courage and love to go into the heart of the enemy's land to safe a friend who he would have believed to have a hand in the burning of the white ships of the Teleri, which costed the death of many of his people. Yet this Fingon done so without any hesitation. Also, the way he died in the battle of Unnumbered Tears almost made me cry. It seems to me that unlike his brother Turgon (whom Tolkien often claimed to be the most valiant of all Elves) who build a secrete kingdom of his own and stayed there not caring much of the rest of the world, Fingon was the one who actually stood out and united the Elves to face their soul enemy Sauron.

Another Elf that I have great liken is of course the popular Finrod. Unlike most elves he is not racists towards other lesser-race and he kept his oath and sacrificed his life for Beren. He also likes to travel and be involved in many things, while many of the Elven high kings (eg. Thingol, Turgon...) only sits in their throwns and enjoy their power over their lands. Finrod to me is a bit like Gandolf in the third age, but unlike Gandolf, he never really had the need to do so, yet he chose it because he's great love towards every free people of Middle Earth, not only his own kin.

It is also hard not to have a liking towards two of Feanor's sons, Maedhros and Maglor, cause they seemed to be kind in their hearts (unlike their 5 brothers), but eventually the oath they swore lead them to do many evil that they wouldn't have done. Luthien is the female character that stand out the most of the Elves, and her love towards Beren is really beautiful if not a bit bitter, considering how perfect she was. But Beren is a man (and probably the only man among Elves and Man) rightly fit for her, and I am glad of their love being able to finally surpass all difficulties. Glorfindel and Ecthelion of Gondolin, Cirdan the Shipwright, and the unfortunate Beleg Strong-Bow are also extremely likeable characters, although they all fixtured too little for us to understand their personalities.

Men: I would have to say Beren. Not so because of his adventure to get the Silmarli, but more so of his courage to enter Thingol's palace and said the word he said, with pride that even an Elf-lord could be proud of. He's story with Luthien is probably the most romantic story in the Silmarillion, and I am happy that they eventually got together. Turin is also a very strong character but his life is really too tragic, same goes with Hurin. Never really fond of Tuor cause I feel that his path is rather too well laid for him, and it seems he never really have to go through any ordeal like Beren to gain his price.

Dwarfs: Not many dwarfs mentioned in the Silmarillion, but Azaghal spreens to my mind. He was the one who wounded Glaurong badly in the battle of Unnumbered Tears, and forced him to stear away from the battlefield. If he hadn't done so, maybe more people (probably the entire of Maedhros army) would have been defeated.

Any thoughts?
Qel Vandeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 09:06 PM   #2
LadyHaleth
Sapling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qel Vandeth
Men: I would have to say Beren. Not so because of his adventure to get the Silmarli, but more so of his courage to enter Thingol's palace and said the word he said, with pride that even an Elf-lord could be proud of. He's story with Luthien is probably the most romantic story in the Silmarillion, and I am happy that they eventually got together.
I can definitely agree with you about Beren. I always felt such admiration for him and the love he shared with Luthien.

I must add Tar-Palantir to the list, though: his will to stand by his beliefs and his attempt to correct the failing ways of Numenor are praiseworthy. I remember reading Akallabeth and feeling so sympathetic toward his commendable attempts.

if you're really good,
i'll tell you about the sex lives of sheep

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." Tolkien
LadyHaleth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 09:43 PM   #3
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Let's see...

Valar: probably Yavanna b/c I love trees and all things that grow (I kinda also like Melkor for being the "bad boy" of the Valar )

Maiar: Arien (for obvious reasons ) but I also really like Sauron...too bad he was too proud to submit to Manwe for judgement...he could have been a great Maia had he repented!

Elves: Feanor all the way! I love him! I also like Fingolfin and Gil-Galad though too. but not as much as Curufinwe Feanaro! He rocks!!!!!

Dwarves : well the only one that comes to mind right now is Mim the Petty Dwarf....so I'll choose him heheh!

Men : Turin...his story is so sad and moving. I like Beren but not as much as Turin. I also like Hurin b/c he could endure Morgoth for all those years. I also have a penchant for Ar-Pharazon...he's just plain intriguing!

Last edited by Arien the Maia : 01-08-2006 at 09:45 PM.
Arien the Maia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 12:44 AM   #4
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Hobbit: Samwise Gamgee

Elf: Feanor, hands down

Maiar: Gandalf

Men: Eowyn, followed by the REAL Tolkien Faramir, not PJ's Faramir (there's a big diff between the two)

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 02:31 AM   #5
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Valar: Ulmo
Maiar: Sauron
Elves: Feanor
Men: Turin
Hobbits: Samwise
Old 01-09-2006, 09:43 AM   #6
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

I don't remember Eowyn, Faramir, or Sam, being in the Silmarillion.

Elves- Guess
Men- Beren, Turin
Dwarves- none
Valar- Ulmo, Mandos

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 10:12 AM   #7
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Valar: Ulmo... he's the only one who seem to think about the whole of Arda, a opposed to just his own self-interest... Melkor second because, like Feanor for the elves, his motivations seem very "real", even though they are misguided

Maiar: Olorin... rarely mentioned, though eluded to... much like Ulmo, he seems to consider all the people's of middle earth as his responsibility

Elf: Feanor... he's always been my favorite 'cause he seems to be the most "real" elven character... Finrod also get's high marks for his nobility and Maedhros who was one of the few able to look past the internal debates among the elves and towards the greater purpose of defeating Melkor

Men: Beren... simply because he held love above anything else

Dwarfs: Azaghal... a good choice, since the dwarves are kind of shortchanged in the silmarillion
Old 01-09-2006, 02:03 PM   #8
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Valar - Tulkas
Maiar - Melian. I'm not a fan of Thingol, but Melian seemed to have a good and fair view on most things.
Elf - Fingolfin
Men - Hurin Thalion.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 03:40 PM   #9
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Golden Hair
I don't remember Eowyn, Faramir, or Sam, being in the Silmarillion.
Aw crap, I didn't even notice which forum this thread was in.
Old 01-10-2006, 11:10 AM   #10
CrazySquirrel
Shape-shifting, men-grabbing NAZGUL

Valar- Melkor, the only independent thinker of the bunch.

Elves- Finrod (the only decent Elf, IMO, - if only he had not so sheming a sister!). Also I dislike, but grudgingly admire Feanor.

Men- Tar-Ciryatan+Tar Atanamir, who were the first to send the "big brothers" from Valinor as far as they deserved.

Maiar - guess...

Last edited by CrazySquirrel : 01-11-2006 at 05:41 PM.
CrazySquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 05:50 PM   #11
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Valar - Ulmo, for the reasons everyone gives

Maiar - Gandy!

Elves - Fingon the valiant - IMO that brief little story of his rescue of his cousin is one of the best in Tolkien canon. Gotta love a guy who heads out on a desperate venture with his harp on his back! Seriously, I love how he just picks up and GOES, without telling anyone, because he thinks it's the right thing to do.

Men - Tuor - I love how he's a great fighter, while keeping his great love for his wife (you guys have to read the Fall of Gondolin, if you haven't already!). Hurin is a great fighter and I love how he stays faithful even when tortured by Morgoth, but I just don't like how his relationship with Morwen is portrayed.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 08:40 PM   #12
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

Valar: Ulmo, and the brother Namo and Irmo.

Maiar: Tilion

Elves: Glorfindel, Cirdan and Nerdanel, because they're awesome.

Men: Haleth (and Andreth even though she technically isn't in the Sil). I wish we knew more about these two ladies.
"Because it is my name! Because I cannot have another in my life! Because I lie and sign myself to lies! Because I am not worth the dust on the feet them that hang! How may I live without my name? I have given you my soul; Leave me my name!"

- The Crucible

"nolite hippopotamum vexare!"

Last edited by Lady Marion Magdalena : 01-10-2006 at 08:43 PM.
Lady Marion Magdalena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 10:24 PM   #13
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Quote:
Elves: Glorfindel, Cirdan and Nerdanel, because they're awesome.

Men: Haleth (and Andreth even though she technically isn't in the Sil). I wish we knew more about these two ladies.
yes I also agree..Nerdanel, Haleth and Andreth rock!
Old 01-11-2006, 04:10 PM   #14
Anglorfin
Alasailon

Valar: Ulmo. Not only was he a god of the sea, which are just inherently cool to me, throughout the history of ME he remained the most sympathetic to the Children of Illuvatar. It was he that came to Turgon and cautioned him to build Gondolin and later came to Tour and set him on the path to Gondolin. Ulmo was more far-sighted than he is given credit for I think. He also pleaded with the rest of the Valar on occaisions to help the people of Middle Earth.

Orome is a close second because he too was very sympathetic to the people of ME. And he always did what he could to actively rid ME of evil creatures.

Maiar: Eonwe, Herald of the Valar. The great Maia general. Although he's not mentioned too often, whenever he is it's usually about him leading the legions of the West against the forces of Morgoth.

Elf: Fingolfin. Not a very easy decision. I can't even start to explain all of the thought process behind this final choice either but I'll summarize what I can. He was possibly the most powerful Elf in Middle Earth. In his rage he wounded a much more powerful enemy several times in single combat. Not to mention he was one of the few who would actually stand up to Morgoth.

Men: Tuor. One of the most valiant of all the men of Middle Earth. Not only that but he was part of what saved the Elves from destruction at Gondolin. He was also the father of Earendil, who was the salvation of all the races of Middle Earth. A lot of responsibility rested on Tuor's shoulders, more than any other man in history until possibly Aragorn.

Hurin would be second. He was a killing machine. Before his captured he had cut down so many Orcs that the bodies piled up on him. He defied Morgoth to his face and suffered one of the worst fates of all the men of Middle Earth.

Dwarf: Well not many in the Silmarillion but Telchar is definately my favorite. Never mentioned as taking part in any great event, nonetheless his presence and work was spread all throughout the world. He forged the Dragon Helm for Hurin, the knife Angrist, and Narsil. He's described as being the best smith in that time.

If this encompassed the entire history then I'd say Balin. He always seemed very noble. And he was definately the most friendly of all the Dwarves mentioned. I think he was the first to actually befriend Bilbo on their adventure together and always seemed willing to do what it took to look after others. Plus he tried to take Moria back against the Orcs and although he failed it shows that he had great pride in his Dwarven heritage and would do anything to help improve the Dwarves' situation.

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."

Last edited by Anglorfin : 01-11-2006 at 04:21 PM.
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 08:10 PM   #15
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I agree with the Nerdanel fans, too

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 06:12 PM   #16
Ainulindalë
Sapling

Valar: Ulmo, is very wise and compassionate and; Yavanna because of her green fingers and love for nature
Maiar: Melian and Olorin, both have great foresight and try to keep their people well
Elves: Luthien, for her song and dance and sight bring great joy and enchantment and also because she suffers.
Dwarfs: Telchar, he's the mastersmithy of Arda
Men: Hurin, he's undoubtely one of the most valiant of men in Sil; and Nienor she is the Tolkien equivalent of the Theban queen Iocasta (pronounce as Jocasta) who married her son Oedipus in Oedipus Rex which is a very great story.
We still remember, we who dwell
In this far land beneath the trees,
Thy starlight on the Western Seas.

~~~~~

I am new and fresh, I am a song that stays on everybody's lips, that keeps on lingering in your mind and one that shapes the world.
Ainulindalë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 04:30 AM   #17
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Valar: got to go with the consensus here, Ulmo, for the same reasons
Maiar: Melian or Orome
Elves: Beleg
Men: Turin the Tragic
Dwarves: Mim, the only one we really know much about
Ents: Why weren't they mentioned?
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 07:04 AM   #18
Qel Vandeth
Sapling

Treebeard

Well, Ents weren't really mentioned in the Sil much... although most of them (like Treebeard) would definately have already existed in the first age
Qel Vandeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 09:26 PM   #19
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
Valar: got to go with the consensus here, Ulmo, for the same reasons
Maiar: Melian or Orome
Elves: Beleg
Men: Turin the Tragic
Dwarves: Mim, the only one we really know much about
Ents: Why weren't they mentioned?
isn't Orome a Vala?
Old 01-15-2006, 06:53 AM   #20
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Valar: I suppose it's a tie between Ulmo and Nienna. Ulmo for taking an interest in Middle-earth when the others would not, and for the other, already mentioned reasons. Nienna because she is not your typical god-like figure. In mythology gods tied to the elements (water gods, air gods etc...) are frequent, warrior-gods, gods of death and nature too. But the idea that Tolkien worked into Nienna, that there can be beauty in sorrow, and that legends of greatness are more often born out of suffering, really shone out to me.

Maiar: Uinen all the way. It's mostly the sea connection, I'm sure. But Uinen is one of the few Maiar that is mentioned in more than one sentence in Tolkien's work. She managed to subdue Ossë's chaotic side somewhat and brought him back into the fold when he started listening a little much to Morgoth. And it's to her that everyone in peril at sea calls. The Numenoreans adored her.

Elves: Hm, though choice. I think I'd go with Turgon, for all his failings, I think he was a good king nevertheless. And he built Gondolin, hard one to beat that. Runner-up would definitely be Cirdan. Partly because Sea-Elves should stick together but also because he's about the only Elf that managed to survive and protect his people throughout the turbulent first age. Not a poor achievement by all means.

Dwarves : Not much to pick from. But Telchar and Azaghal would both be good choices.

Men : Tuor. Obvious choice for me, I guess. Had quite a task laid on him, he may not have succeeded in convincing Turgon, but without him there would have been little to none hope left after the destruction of Gondolin.

Last edited by Earniel : 01-15-2006 at 06:54 AM.
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote