Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-13-2007, 02:59 PM   #21
jammi567
I'm Eru, and lord of Arda.

This forum is finally etting a bit more active now.
Vote for me, Jammi567, in the 2008 Entmoot elections, and you will get many of the things we need: free, unbiased, newspapers; a strong alliance with many countries, so that war doesn't start over someone breaking their nose on a doorframe; etc, etc

This forum is lonely. It's new and confused, and doesn't have many friends yet. Help today by joining for free, posting, and posting this message and link in your sig. So please, join and help make it feel welcomed and loved.
jammi567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 06:07 PM   #22
Krameraxe
Sapling

Nazgul Silmarillion

I am about 1/3 the way through the book and it is an amazing read. I agree it is complex, I have to keep going to the back of the book to track characters / places. I am interested in any discussion in regards to this tale. I am a new reader of Tolkien and I have submerged myself as of late in his books. I have read the LOTR trilogy, the Hobbit and now the Silmarillion. I have touched on the Treason of Isengard and find that book less interesting more of a history of Tolkiens writings.

Any suggestions as to what book I should tackle next - I was thinking Children of Huron. Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Krameraxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 05:42 AM   #23
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krameraxe View Post
I have read the LOTR trilogy, the Hobbit and now the Silmarillion. I have touched on the Treason of Isengard and find that book less interesting more of a history of Tolkiens writings.

Any suggestions as to what book I should tackle next - I was thinking Children of Huron. Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Children of Hurin would be a good choice - it is Tolkien's story without editorial interruptions.

Treason of Isengard is exactly what you say - it is indeed a history of Tolkien's writings, as all the 12 volumes in the series that it is a part of, The History of Middle-earth (meaning the history of how it came into being as a literary entity). Some of the volumes, especially volume 10, 11 and 12, contain some interesting shorter articles - and at least one shorter story - by Tolkien about his world, though, and volume 1 and 2 contain very early versions of stories that later became the Silmarillion - but the texts are treated much like in Treason of Isengard.

You could try Unfinished Tales after Children of Hurin - it has more continuous text than Treason of Isengard, but has lot of footnotes and editorial interruptions.

If you decide to try another volume of History of Middle-earth (HoME), I would suggest volume 10, only because it includes my favorite story - the Athrabeth, or The Converse of Finrod and Andreth.

Edit:
After I noticed which thread this is in, I thought that possibly the question I answered, or at least my answer, rather belongs in a different thread, or even in a thread of its own. Could the moderators look into it?

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen

Last edited by Varnafindë : 01-10-2009 at 05:58 AM. Reason: adding a question for the mods
Varnafindë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 06:15 AM   #24
Krameraxe
Sapling

Thanks for your reply. I am curious how you became interested in Tolkiens writings? Was it something introduced to you in your youth or later in life. I ask because I have always spent time reading books on current events, politics and as I mentioned prior, I have only recently emersed my self in Tolkiens works. I am elated as well as to the immense community that discusses Tolkiens writings.
Krameraxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 03:47 AM   #25
Valarauko5
Hobbit

Being a complete newbie to this, bu not to LotR, I would like to think about maybe a simple question. How did all the Noldor know how to make weapons? It never says anything about anyone but Morgoth and Aule knowing anything about forging. And Aule only seems to have taught it to a select few. How did all the houses of the Noldor then prepare weapons of war at Morgoth's suggestion? Did they all go in secret and order in bulk from the great smith Mahtan? It seems like kind of a silly thing for Aule to teach EVERYONE how to make weapons if the Valar were all for peace.

Last edited by Valarauko5 : 02-03-2009 at 06:26 AM.
Valarauko5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 01:20 PM   #26
Aelfwine
Sapling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krameraxe View Post
...I am curious how you became interested in Tolkiens writings? Was it something introduced to you in your youth or later in life. I ask because I have always spent time reading books on current events, politics and as I mentioned prior, I have only recently emersed my self in Tolkiens works. I am elated as well as to the immense community that discusses Tolkiens writings.
I'm new to Entmoot, but you sound a bit like me--pretty much into non-fiction in your pre-Tolkien days.

I got interested in Tolkien a little less than two years ago. I read TLOR just as a good story, but the hook was from The Silmarillion. In the second edition, which is the current one, there is a 1951 letter from Tolkien to his publisher. On the 2d or 3d page of the letter are two paragraphs in which Tolkien describes what the elves represent. With those two paragraphs both my imagination and my heart came alive.

If you haven't read that letter, I highly recommend it.

Last edited by Aelfwine : 08-02-2009 at 01:24 PM.
Aelfwine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 03:45 AM   #27
Elennár
Sapling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valarauko5 View Post
Being a complete newbie to this, bu not to LotR, I would like to think about maybe a simple question. How did all the Noldor know how to make weapons? It never says anything about anyone but Morgoth and Aule knowing anything about forging. And Aule only seems to have taught it to a select few. How did all the houses of the Noldor then prepare weapons of war at Morgoth's suggestion? Did they all go in secret and order in bulk from the great smith Mahtan? It seems like kind of a silly thing for Aule to teach EVERYONE how to make weapons if the Valar were all for peace.
Hey! I believe that it was Morgoth who spread lies and dissensions within the house of Fëanor and Finarfin; and counselled them to always carry weapons.
And if I remember right, it was Oromë who first showed the elves weaponry during the Long March through Middle Earth in order to defend themselves against the creatures of Melkor. So the Quendi in Aman wouldn't be totally ignorant of weapons.
So maybe the Noldor, who were themselves great smiths added to what they already knew and the teachings of Aulë.
And let's not forget, the elves who were taught by Aulë could very well have taught the other elves as well. The Valar were never restricted about knowledge.
Elennár is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 05:39 PM   #28
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elennár View Post
And if I remember right, it was Oromë who first showed the elves weaponry during the Long March through Middle Earth in order to defend themselves against the creatures of Melkor. So the Quendi in Aman wouldn't be totally ignorant of weapons.
This, as well as before their discovery by Orome.
Presumably, aslo, it was at this time the the various races and sub races became particularly associated with a prefered weapon and garnered nicknames from them.
Sword Elves = Noldor
Spear Elves = Vanyar
Axe Elves = Sindar
Bow Elves = Nandor or Laequendi
"Mighty are the Ainur, and mightiest among them is Melkor, but that he may know, and all the Ainur, that I am Iluvatar, those things that ye have sung, I will show them forth, ... And thou, Melkor, shalt see that no theme may be played that hath not its uttermost source in me,"

Last edited by Lefty Scaevola : 12-02-2011 at 05:40 PM.
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote