Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-19-2004, 01:55 PM   #1
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Tolkien discussion ideas

Welcome to the Silmarillion forum.

In an effort to promote discussion of the Silmarillion, we would like to invite you to post your ideas in this thread. List any topics you would care to discuss. Even topics that you feel may have been overdone or recently posted are welcome. Please feel free to make suggestions as to how you think we can improve our Tolkien community and its forums. We especially wish to invite and strongly encourage all newbies to join in.

We look forward to reading your topic ideas and suggestions.

Thank you for your participation.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 08:03 AM   #2
Elanor the Fair
Elven Warrior

Great idea, again SGH, however, I've already posted some suggestions in the LOTR and Middle Earth forums and they wouldn't be that much different from the suggestions that I would make for this forum.

One thing, though. The Silmarillion is a vastly more complex book than the LOTR. It's a lot harder to discuss characters and their actions etc. If we want to encourage people, including "newbies" to read and discuss the book, it is imperative that there are sufficient "simple" discussions to enable beginning readers to join in. This is not to say that more complex discussions should not be encouraged, however, providing an "easy" entry point will support discussion at a more complex level at a later date.

Regards,
Elanor
Old 07-23-2004, 01:49 AM   #3
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Personally I would welcome a character discussion here as well. We have already covered some of the characters in the Sil Project, but repetition would not hurt us.
Quote:
One thing, though. The Silmarillion is a vastly more complex book than the LOTR. It's a lot harder to discuss characters and their actions etc. If we want to encourage people, including "newbies" to read and discuss the book, it is imperative that there are sufficient "simple" discussions to enable beginning readers to join in. This is not to say that more complex discussions should not be encouraged, however, providing an "easy" entry point will support discussion at a more complex level at a later date.
I'm not sure if I agree that the Sil is a more complex book than LotR. They are different, and the Sil is perhaps more difficult to get a grasp on at the first reading. I'm not sure what you mean by 'simple' discussions either - what is it? I'm not sure if simplicity is the best way. I think the way we greet newcomers are much more important (friendly replies, trying to answer their questions, not making them look stupid, no sarcasms etc.). When I was a newbie I was grateful for meeting all the people here with so much more knowledge than myself. But of course, all people are not like me.
Old 07-23-2004, 04:06 AM   #4
Elanor the Fair
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artanis
Personally I would welcome a character discussion here as well. We have already covered some of the characters in the Sil Project, but repetition would not hurt us.
I'm not sure if I agree that the Sil is a more complex book than LotR. They are different, and the Sil is perhaps more difficult to get a grasp on at the first reading. I'm not sure what you mean by 'simple' discussions either - what is it? I'm not sure if simplicity is the best way. I think the way we greet newcomers are much more important (friendly replies, trying to answer their questions, not making them look stupid, no sarcasms etc.). When I was a newbie I was grateful for meeting all the people here with so much more knowledge than myself. But of course, all people are not like me.
I guess what I was considering was the wide range of ages of people who participate in entmoot forums. The LOTR is a book that has the ability to span many age-groups. It has a plot that is easy to follow, at least on the surface, which lends itself to many levels of discussions and encompasses many depths of understanding. It is like, say, watching "Chicken Run". The plot is enjoyed by the children and the deeper level of humour and satire is enjoyed by adults. It allows transition from one level of understanding to a deeper one.

I think it would be fair to say that it is easier to discuss the LOTR at multi-levels than The Silmarillion. When I said "simple" discussions I meant that perhaps we should think creatively about how we can encourage discussions where all levels of understanding can be encompassed.

For example: Talking about chronology where you simply discuss what happened, when, where and how is a much simpler concept to grasp than why a character behaved in a particular way - particularly when to do this may require integration of a variety of references. It is a difficult book to read the first time. We need to support and encourage first time readers.

I agree with you that the way we greet newcomers is important. I am a "newbie" here myself. I only joined Entmoot last month. I have been most grateful for the warm welcome and assistance I have received from others.
Old 07-23-2004, 05:26 AM   #5
Artanis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elanor the Fair
I guess what I was considering was the wide range of ages of people who participate in entmoot forums. The LOTR is a book that has the ability to span many age-groups. It has a plot that is easy to follow, at least on the surface, which lends itself to many levels of discussions and encompasses many depths of understanding. It is like, say, watching "Chicken Run". The plot is enjoyed by the children and the deeper level of humour and satire is enjoyed by adults. It allows transition from one level of understanding to a deeper one.

I think it would be fair to say that it is easier to discuss the LOTR at multi-levels than The Silmarillion. When I said "simple" discussions I meant that perhaps we should think creatively about how we can encourage discussions where all levels of understanding can be encompassed.
I see what you're saying, and I don't disagree with you.
Quote:
For example: Talking about chronology where you simply discuss what happened, when, where and how is a much simpler concept to grasp than why a character behaved in a particular way - particularly when to do this may require integration of a variety of references.
Yes and no. It is in general hard to discuss things in the Sil without referring to HoME and/or UT. Even putting up a timeline isn't as simple as it may look at first sight, there are ambiguities here as well, and this task will also involve bringing in references from other sources.
Quote:
It is a difficult book to read the first time. We need to support and encourage first time readers.
Yes, but if we make it too simple, we risk losing members who prefer the in-depth discussions.
Old 08-17-2004, 07:25 AM   #6
Aphanuzîr
Sapling

Did it have any significance that Lúthien saw Gondolin from above?
Beleg and Mablung
The relation between Nienor and Finduilas
Aphanuzîr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 10:10 PM   #7
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Quote:
It is like, say, watching "Chicken Run".
Eh? The Lord of the Rings, like "Chicken Run"? Eh? I think Chicken Run lends itself to many age-groups much better than the Lord of the Rings does. Little kids can watch Chicken Run--most of them can't read Lord of the Rings..

Quote:
The plot is enjoyed by the children and the deeper level of humour and satire is enjoyed by adults.
Yes! I think this especially applies when the forces of the Dark Lord fling human heads into Minas Tirith with catapults.

I think The Silmarillion is a slower and perhaps more difficult to read than Lord of the Rings, and is more broad in scope, but Lord of the Rings is not in any way a children's book.

I can't think of anything I'd like to discuss that other people would too For example, I've always dreamed of the day someone would wander onto the Silmarillion board and ask: "Hey, does someone have a synopsis of the Sundering of the Elves according to Ñoldorin Reckoning, after the Doom of Mandos was spoken but before the Exiles arrived in Beleriand?" Maybe it's an unrealistic dream, and maybe it's sad I used to spend hours drawing up Elven Race charts and family trees with a pen, but you know what? Someone has to waste time ... much like I've done for this thread.
Old 08-19-2004, 04:24 AM   #8
Elanor the Fair
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ñólendil
Eh? The Lord of the Rings, like "Chicken Run"? Eh? I think Chicken Run lends itself to many age-groups much better than the Lord of the Rings does. Little kids can watch Chicken Run--most of them can't read Lord of the Rings..

Yes! I think this especially applies when the forces of the Dark Lord fling human heads into Minas Tirith with catapults.

I think The Silmarillion is a slower and perhaps more difficult to read than Lord of the Rings, and is more broad in scope, but Lord of the Rings is not in any way a children's book.

I can't think of anything I'd like to discuss that other people would too For example, I've always dreamed of the day someone would wander onto the Silmarillion board and ask: "Hey, does someone have a synopsis of the Sundering of the Elves according to Ñoldorin Reckoning, after the Doom of Mandos was spoken but before the Exiles arrived in Beleriand?" Maybe it's an unrealistic dream, and maybe it's sad I used to spend hours drawing up Elven Race charts and family trees with a pen, but you know what? Someone has to waste time ... much like I've done for this thread.
My references to "Chicken Run" were not intended for it to be a parallel to "Lord of the Rings" but merely an illustration of how there can be many degrees of understanding within a text that allows enjoyment at a multitude of levels. I certainly was not suggesting that it is a suitable book for children!

Last edited by Elanor the Fair : 08-19-2004 at 05:35 AM.
Elanor the Fair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 03:10 PM   #9
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

How about a thread 'Girls of the Silmarillion' so us guys don't feel left out from the Guys of the Silmarillion thread!
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 10:39 PM   #10
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

You're right. It's a very hard book to read. I've never been able to manage it, but I promise you I'll start it this week, and I'll keep a journal on what I read.

Good ol' SGH approved it! I will put each entry in a separate thread (a project!) and all sorts of relevant comments will be welcome, with spoilers. I won't read your responses until I'm done, and then I'll continue posting in this forum. That'll enliven it.

How about tomorrow with an intro?
Old 11-21-2004, 10:55 PM   #11
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Telcontar - Because guys have more self control when it comes to that sort of thing, and are less likely to turn into drooling obsessives.
Old 11-22-2004, 05:04 AM   #12
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Bah. I think all your tough talk is to disguise your inner fanboy Wayfarer.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 09:09 AM   #13
Artanis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombadillo
You're right. It's a very hard book to read. I've never been able to manage it, but I promise you I'll start it this week, and I'll keep a journal on what I read.

Good ol' SGH approved it! I will put each entry in a separate thread (a project!) and all sorts of relevant comments will be welcome, with spoilers. I won't read your responses until I'm done, and then I'll continue posting in this forum. That'll enliven it.
A 'live' journal is an excellent idea Bombadillo! Perhaps other people will be encouraged to read the Silmarillion along with you. I look forward to your intro!
Old 11-22-2004, 04:25 PM   #14
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
Bah. I think all your tough talk is to disguise your inner fanboy Wayfarer.
On the contrary, Nervy. I'm the antithesis of fanboyism.
Old 11-23-2004, 12:10 AM   #15
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artanis
A 'live' journal is an excellent idea Bombadillo! Perhaps other people will be encouraged to read the Silmarillion along with you. I look forward to your intro!
Thank you! Good, it's ready now.
Old 04-16-2005, 12:24 PM   #16
Thraxon
Hobbit

Nazgul

this book took me two tries to read so boring the firist hundred pages. got ot go ill be on monday
Thraxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 09:42 PM   #17
Uinor
Sapling

What book?
Uinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 08:28 PM   #18
Maerbenn
Enting

Gandalf

This thread is about discussion ideas for The Silmarillion, so Thraxon probably meant that book.
Maerbenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 03:45 PM   #19
Cerebus
Sapling

I would like to discuss why a High King of the Noldor cannot come from female descent (ex. Elrond) while a High King of Beleriand (this being the title that Thingol had as the ruler of Doriath) can (ex. Dior). Were there just basic cultural differences which dictated this? Or were there oher factors that played into it?
Cerebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 03:56 PM   #20
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebus
I would like to discuss why a High King of the Noldor cannot come from female descent (ex. Elrond) while a High King of Beleriand (this being the title that Thingol had as the ruler of Doriath) can (ex. Dior). Were there just basic cultural differences which dictated this? Or were there oher factors that played into it?
I am enjoying posting with you in the "High Kings" thread. I think if we get into great depth of this topic, another thread might be fitting, so please feel free to start one, and welcome to Entmoot.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote