Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-25-2003, 08:13 PM   #1
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Recommendations for good movies from the female 'Mooters

Hi fellow female 'Mooters! (and guys, too - I know you guys will be lurking )

My husband and oldest son are away until Monday afternoon - I'm here at home with the 2 little ones. I thought I might try to rent a few 'girl' movies this weekend - what do you people suggest?

I really like Jane Austen type movies (I loved the "Emma" version with Gwyneth Paltrow, and the "Sense and Sensibility" with Emma Thompson). Also old black-and-whites. And just basically fun, girly things - nothing intense or gory.

Any suggestions?

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 09:19 PM   #2
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

no suggestions yet?

OK, I throw it open to the male Mooters - but please, no high body count or car crashes

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 04-25-2003, 09:23 PM   #3
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

well, i can tell you what NOT to rent.
ghost ship - people get cut in half etc, not fun..
the ring - the chick comes OUT OF THE TELEVISION SET!
glitter/ crossroads- movies stars + film = bad.
house of 1000 corpses - can't you tell by the name?
Amelie- not for your two little ones.

i've never seen Tuck Everlasting, but i think it's girly.
um, the princess bride is always a good shot for me.
and E.T. is a winner as well.

that's about it for me, otherwise i've only seen Holes and Harry potter and of course LotR.
Old 04-25-2003, 09:26 PM   #4
Hasty Ent
Elf Lord

There are too many movies to recommend, Rian! If you're anything like me, what you watch depends on what kind of mood you're in... But, one of my favorite movies of all time is La Dolce Vita by Fellini. It is foreign and really long -- two characteristics of 'chick flicks' I'm told.

I've got many more favorites, but have posted them before in other movie threads.
Old 04-25-2003, 09:27 PM   #5
Rían

thanks! maybe I'll just watch Princess Bride again - that's SO funny! Even the 2 little ones love it (they're 6 and 7) - they quote the rhyming part in the beginning!

Love those ROUS's!

Old 04-25-2003, 09:30 PM   #6
Rían

Hasty Ent - is La Dolce Vita an overall happy film? I don't care for depressing films that much, real life is hard enough sometimes...

Perhaps I"ll go search the movie thread...

Old 04-25-2003, 09:38 PM   #7
Hasty Ent
Elf Lord

It's a serious film -- there are some dark moments, some funny ones, too. Overall I wouldn't call it 'happy.' Great art always makes me feel better, though, even if the message is depressing.

I thought of another movie, though, that is definitely uplifting and another favorite: Babette's Feast. It is positively joyous, imho.
Old 04-25-2003, 09:43 PM   #8
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Last time I saw me Mum she was sat flabberghasted at Brideshead Revisited (although I think it was a couple of vids from the TV series).

Might be worth hunting out.

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 09:44 PM   #9
Rían

Oh, I saw Babette's feast! That was great!

La Dolce Vita sounds like a good candidiate - I just don't like the ones whose total goal seems to be to depress people, as opposed to ones where sadness is a natural part of the movie.

Oh, good idea, Coney - I'll check that one out, too - thanks!

Last edited by Rían : 04-25-2003 at 09:45 PM.
Old 04-25-2003, 10:55 PM   #10
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Of course, I'd readily recommend Fiddler on the Roof or the Sound of Music. But there are a few others that are somewhat less well known. The Miracle Worker is an old but powerful movie about Hellen Keller; the end always puts a few tears in my eyes. There's one about a woman called Sarah Elizabeth McAffrey who is a mentally challenged woman who begins a fight to gain legal competence. It does resemble a soap opera a bit, but not too much. If you want the hardcore "chick flicks", I couldn't stand Emma. You might try a nice (old) Dracula, the old ones are not high body count or anything, and certainly no car crashes. I thought Jack Pallance did rather well in the role. Though, I suppose you probably weren't wanting Dracula.

-reads post-

Oh...erm...well...I don't think I can really recommend that type. I like intense movies (emotionally intense such as Miracle Worker included). Though NON-intense movies...I don't I can really recommend any except a few bad horrors that were SUPPOSED to be intense, but came out as comedy.

So, um...disregard previous message.

EDIT: Eep, you liked Emma... Oops...

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 11:08 PM   #11
Rían

well, I LOVE Jane Austen, and I thought it was a better adaptation than PJ's version of LoTR

I like The Miracle Worker - very powerful!

Oh, talking about powerful movies - ever seen Shadowlands? (with Anthony Hopkins)?

Old 04-25-2003, 11:12 PM   #12
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

I think my parents used to have it a long time ago, but I've never seen it. It's about Lewis, right? And it has Anthony Hopkins? MUST see!

-thinks old actors are the best-

-especially Sean Connery, but all old actors-

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 12:44 AM   #13
elvishfaerie3088
Elven Warrior

A couple of my all time favourite girly movies are, A walk to remember, Never been kissed, What dreams may come and Patch Adams. They all made me cry i can't remember any other movies at the moment that made me cry like those ones did. Though i do warn you What dreams may come was really confusing to a lot of people i know but i got it right away.
Jack: "Monkey!"
"It's captain Jack Sparrow, captain..."
"If you were waiting for the opportune moment that was it."
Red coat, "Impersonating a judge."
Jack: (Oh, ya that was fun look on his face)
"Do us a favour...i know it's hard...but stay here and try not to do...anything...stupid."
"Yes...but why is the rum gone?!"
"WELL IT BLOODY IS NOW!"

*~~Elvish Faerie~~*
elvishfaerie3088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 12:52 AM   #14
Rían

Quote:
Originally posted by Gwaimir Windgem
I think my parents used to have it a long time ago, but I've never seen it. It's about Lewis, right? And it has Anthony Hopkins? MUST see!
Yes, it's fabulous! I've never in my life heard a crowd in a movie theater so quiet as I did in one particular scene ...

Old 04-26-2003, 12:53 AM   #15
Rían

Thanks, elvishfaerie3088! I might have Walk around somewhere, I think my mom loaned it to me but I forgot about it!

Has anyone seen Les Miserables (sp?) ? Isn't there a movie version out? I've been wanting to read the book.

Old 04-26-2003, 01:30 AM   #16
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

This is probably a little bit too mature for 6 andf 7 year olds - but you really need to watch Fried Green Tomatoes. It's an awesome movie about strong woman (or woman becoming strong).

Driving Miss Daisy is good too.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 04-26-2003 at 01:31 AM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 01:36 AM   #17
Rían

wait - you're the second person now that mentioned the little ones - I wasn't clear on the initial post - these are movies for MOI, after the kiddos are in bed! (I've seen enough Thomas the Tank Engine and A Day With Dolphins - I want a grown-up movie!!)

Thanks, JD - I saw Tomatoes - excellent movie! Yes, too intense for the little ones, tho - I should see it again, it's been quite awhile. (ugh, those train scenes .... I won't ever let my kids walk on train tracks now!)

Old 04-26-2003, 01:48 AM   #18
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by RÃ*an
wait - you're the second person now that mentioned the little ones - I wasn't clear on the initial post - these are movies for MOI, after the kiddos are in bed! (I've seen enough Thomas the Tank Engine and A Day With Dolphins - I want a grown-up movie!!)
Well in that case - Kissing Jessica Stein is a really good movie. Don't let that it deals with a same sex relationship scare you off - it's a really funny movie. It's just about love and what people expect. It's a hilarious movie.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 04-26-2003, 02:06 AM   #19
jerseydevil

You should also check out Doctor Zhivago

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 04-26-2003, 02:18 AM   #20
Rían

thanks!

*jots down names of movies*