Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-27-2005, 09:16 AM   #1
The Wizard from Milan
Elven Warrior

What edition is the best?

I probably need to buy a new edition of LotR. What edition do you recommend? and why?
The Wizard from Milan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 10:20 AM   #2
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

i always liked the cheap paperbacks 'cause they are easy to carry around and read... hardcovers are a bit unwieldy... but, if your the sit-down-and-read-in-one-spot-type, this might do you good
Old 12-27-2005, 08:43 PM   #3
durinsbane2244
Dreamweaver

there's a set that're white with drawings of scenes on the cover, and each one has a fold out map in the back...don't know what it's called though...hardcover...
And we are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers,
And sitting by desolate streams;
World-losers and world-forsakers,
On whom the pale moon gleams:
Yet we are the movers and shakers
Of the world for ever, it seems.
----------------
Shanti, shanti, shantih...
durinsbane2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 08:48 PM   #4
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

You know, that gorgeous hardcover looks too nice to refer to & have lying around for everyday use. I got my Lord of the Rings all-in-one paperback which I LOVE. It's published ny Houghton-Mifflin, and it's nice because you can open it & it lays flat - very good quality paper & binding. Plus, of course it has pages of maps. It was only $20 and you can get it at Barnes & Noble or also no doubt online. It's black, with the title in big gold letters with a picture of The Ring on the cover.
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 09:29 PM   #5
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Gandalf

If you have an opportunity, I would reccommend that you go to a library and see what edition they have on their shelves. If you like it, then it is settled.

You could also drop by a few bookstores.

I think it is a matter of personal taste. I personally would prefer a single edition copy, but three individual books would be easier to hold.

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 10:13 PM   #6
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

Strider

If you've got the money (about $70) or extremely generous parents , try the Alan Lee Houghton Miller edition. It's very nice, all-in-one, hardcover....
But a good budget choice would be a simpler hardcover all-in-one like Lotesse has.
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Curubethion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 10:53 PM   #7
The Wizard from Milan
Elven Warrior

Thanks to all for the advice!
I am of two minds (or several) and while I try to make up my mind I am reareading my old copy that has completely broken out of the spine
The Wizard from Milan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 07:40 AM   #8
King of The Istari
Elven Warrior

Location: Some where quite interesting with psychedelic trees
Gandalf

I have Simarillion through to return of the king in Black Harper Colins Paperback, they look really good on a bookshelf together

but If I was to get a new one I'd get the 50th aniversarry hardback (that also helps if you wanna knock someone out aswell ... It's MASSIVE)

And what happened to the rest of your party, killed, eaten, gone home?
Beorn, The Hobbit

Dark and difficult Times lie ahead Harry, soon we must all face a choice, a choice between what is right and what is easy!
Dumbledore

Neo Are you listening to Me? Or are you too busy looking at the Woman in the Red Dress?
Morpheus, The Matrix
King of The Istari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 11:04 PM   #9
Mercutio

Yay for cheap paperbacks!

At our library's annual used book sale (they had thousands of books this year), I bought the Hobbit and the Fellowship for 50 cents a piece (very good/decent quality too, and not very old). I also got 12 other paperbacks brining me to a grand total of $7.

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 12:12 AM   #10
Olmer
Elf Lord

For collection purposes buy 1 editions illustrated by Alan Lee or Ted Nasmith books.They will never go down in price.
For working with text it is better to have regular format's paperbacks.You could make some notes on the book without straining to fit them in little space on book's margin.
Just for reading -any pocketbook size is pretty convenient and also unexpensive
Olmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 02:58 PM   #11
LadyHaleth
Sapling

I myself have two editions:
The beautiful red collector's edition (which I lovingly call the Red Book of Westmarch), http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/039...lance&n=283155,

and a ratty paperback edition that I've written all over and loved and taped back together numerous times.

So my suggestion would be to get another readable paperback edition, and then to save up and splurge on a beautiful hardcover edition that'll last lifetimes.

if you're really good,
i'll tell you about the sex lives of sheep

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." Tolkien
LadyHaleth is offline   Reply With Quote