Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Hobbit (book)
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-28-2001, 12:28 PM   #1
Darkhalcyon
Elven Warrior

Did Gandalf know all along?

Why do you think a great wizard like gandalf would interest himself in the affairs of some greedy, vengeful dwarves? I think t hat he knew (or at least had some idea) that the ring was there! especially when he acted all knowing about it. The problem is, it seemed he didn't know that the goblin cave entrance was there, and that the goblins would've gotten them. Or did he want them to go in there so someone would get the ring? i'm confusing myself.

And another thing, Isn't it SO convenient that Gwaihir was always there? and didn't he, in a sense, repay gandalf after that first rescue?
Maybe it's just my NY mentality, and Gwaihir was just a nice guy
Old 10-28-2001, 03:37 PM   #2
Kirinki54
Elven Warrior

Re: Did Gandalf know all along?

Quote:
Originally posted by Darkhalcyon
Why do you think a great wizard like gandalf would interest himself in the affairs of some greedy, vengeful dwarves? I think t hat he knew (or at least had some idea) that the ring was there!
I don´t think Gandalf viewed Thorin and his kin that way. They had been wronged.

Gandalf´s main objective (in this matter) was to get rid of Smaug, as he did not like the idea of a ferocious dragon wreaking havoc on Eriador when it later came to a showdown with Sauron. And so he and the Dwarves had a common interest in disposing of the dragon.

As for the Ring, it came to Bilbo as a ´by-product´of the quest. IMO nothing supports the idea that Gandalf knew it would be found on the way.
Kirinki54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2001, 05:53 PM   #3
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

Gandalf knew that when Sauron gained power over Smaug, he would use the dragon to a great extent, so he decided to join them and help the Dwarves someway or another.

He really had no idea were the ring was, if he did, the white council (except Saruman) would claim it as quick as possible, he always suspected Bilbos magic ring, but he could never really prove it so he decided to leave to ring in Bilbos hands because it was in safe as hands as any.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2001, 06:05 AM   #4
Kirinki54
Elven Warrior

Re: Did Gandalf know all along?

Quote:
Originally posted by Darkhalcyon
And another thing, Isn't it SO convenient that Gwaihir was always there?
Well, he wasn´t. It has been made clear to me (the hard way; in a debate ) that the Eagles appearing in The Hobbit are likely not the same as those in the LoTR. At least they are never named.

In ´The Field of Cormallen´ you can see that there were in fact many Eagles (the "long swift lines").
Old 11-29-2001, 12:18 PM   #5
FaithFairy
Sapling

Hi, this is my first post here. I didn't see an introduction thread or forum so hope it's okay to just jump in.

I've just recently read The Hobbit for the first time so I'm obviously not an authority. As far as the ring is concerned, I did suspect that Gandalf knew where it was and/or that Bilbo would find it. The ring seemed to play a very important part -- there wouldn't have been any success without it.

Gwaihir? I don't remember that name and I've already returned the book.
FaithFairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2001, 03:01 PM   #6
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Just Jump in? Just Jump in?

Are you MAD?

First you have to fill out Form 22 b

Then you need to doForm 43 a and Form 52 c, as well as signing this legal documentin which you sign your soul over to the moderators in exchange for your posting privilidges.

THEN you can jump in. ]:)
Old 11-29-2001, 03:03 PM   #7
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Oh, and hi. It's actually very nice to have you. I'm sure someone will come along shortly and tell you not to mind me, so i won't bother doing it myself. And the above was sarcasm, in case you couldn't tell.
Old 11-29-2001, 05:22 PM   #8
FaithFairy
Sapling

Oh, I get it...it's an inside joke. Thanks for the welcome!

I do hope someone can tell me about Gwaihir. Well now, someone standing behind me suggests it's the goblin king.
FaithFairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2001, 05:26 PM   #9
Kirinki54
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by FaithFairy
Gwaihir? I don't remember that name and I've already returned the book.
In The Lord of the Rings, the chief Eagle is named Gwaihir. He often comes to the aid of the good guys in dire straits. His brothers were Meneldor and Landroval. There were many eagles but these are the only ones named. Their forefather of old appears in The Silmarillion; Thorondor. He was a very big and powerful bird. The Eagles were considered to be in league with Manwe, the head Vala (the 'archangels' which appear in the Sil.) which is why they were always on the good side (possible exception the battle between the Last Alliance and Sauron?).

Now, the experts can explain the finer details...
Old 11-29-2001, 06:29 PM   #10
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Yes. It was an inside joke. How very astute of you to regognize that.

And yes, Gwaihir the Windlord was the chief of hte eagles in the misty mountains. They were the descendants of the Eagles that lived near Gondolin.

You can learn in the Hobbit that gandalf once healed him from an arrow wound, and thus, he owed the old wizard a favor (or four).

I believe, inolondil and I discussed this once, the he would have had a wingspan of thirty feet or so. He would also appear as a golden eagle (not a bald eagle, as I once thought)

The great eagles were very intelligent, and in the second age they were a match for the winged dragons in strength (Thorondor would hve been over three hundred feet in wingspan)

Last edited by Wayfarer : 11-29-2001 at 06:30 PM.
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2001, 03:16 AM   #11
Ace
Hobbit

Gandalf did gandalf know all along

Gandalf most certainly did not know the ring was in the Goblin Caves. First, just from reading the novels one learns that Thror (Thorin's grandfather) trusted Gandalf with the map and the key. Gandalf was only fulfilling the duty from a friend.
Secondly, and more importantly. If you read Humphrey's Carpenter's biography on Tolkien you would realize that even though LOTR grew out of the Hobbit Tolkien had no idea what the ring was doing there when he wrote the Hobbit. The ring was just something there that Gandalf put into his, what was originally, chidren's story.

Anyone with questions, feel free to email.

Ace

"Well if the choice be mine, I say, we march!"
Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2001, 05:12 PM   #12
Kirinki54
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Wayfarer
And yes, Gwaihir the Windlord was the chief of hte eagles in the misty mountains. They were the descendants of the Eagles that lived near Gondolin.

You can learn in the Hobbit that gandalf once healed him from an arrow wound, and thus, he owed the old wizard a favor (or four).
Are you sure the Hobbit refers to an eagle with a specific name? (No books around so I can´t check myself.) Michael Martinez claimed to me once that we have no way of knowing if indeed Gwaihir, Meneldor or Landroval appear in the Hobbit; it might as well and likely be other eagles. There was a large population.
'They need more gardens,' said Legolas. 'The houses are dead, and there is too little here that grows and is glad. If Aragorn comes into his own, the people of the Wood shall bring him birds that sing and trees that do not die.'
Old 12-02-2001, 05:27 PM   #13
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Yes. But there's such as thing as a resonable inference.

After all... the eagles would have had only one lord. There were not different societies and populations of eagles. They all answered to the same lord, and ultimately to manwe.

And, since Gandalf is rescued by the lord of the eagles in the hobbit, I would assume that it's the same eagle-lord as fromt he LOTR. Namely, gwaihir.
Old 12-03-2001, 05:43 PM   #14
Bregalad, Ent of Fangorn
Sapling

Treebeard

Allow me to shed a little light on the subject of gwaihir

He is the lord of the great and mighty Eagles of the north. the reason for his unlikely friendship with Gandlaf was because the old wizard cured him of a poisioned wound(caused by a goblin/orc arrow) the eagles do not think a debt is repaid by simply doing one act in return; they belive instead that they share a bond for the rest of time.

Eagles as you must know harbour a deep loathing towards orc's, troll's, goblins, and the twisted men in Saurons service. Eagle's especially hate goblin's because of a Fued when the Goblins tried to re establish themselves in the high passes around the year 2799 third age. Eagles are known for fearing nothing and showing no mercy towards there enemy's

There I hope I helped you understand A bit more of the Eagle's. Come ask me Questions any time for I love having my knowledge tested.
Bregalad, Ent of Fangorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 05:55 PM   #15
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

I think the ongoing argument was whether the Lord of the Eagles of the Hobbit is one and the same with the Lord of the Eagles in the Lord of the Rings.

Personally, I think Gwaihir the Windlord is the Lord of the Eagles in the Hobbit. Gwaihir was descended from Thorondor, who was extremely long lived. But you can go either way: there's no proof.
Old 12-03-2001, 07:21 PM   #16
Bregalad, Ent of Fangorn
Sapling

Treebeard

Actually there is proof, I thought there was so I consulted my tolkien Dictionary(rarely do I have to, for my knowledge is vast) but it says that he was the lord of the Eagles in the hobbit, because then Gwaihir was given a crown for his help.
Old 12-03-2001, 07:53 PM   #17
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

I haven't heard of a Tolkien Dictionary, but I am sure that it was not written by Tolkien. I agree with the writer, but there's no proof to be found in The Hobbit or the Lord of the Rings. That's what I meant.
Old 12-03-2001, 09:14 PM   #18
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

I've seen the tolkien dictionary. It's certainly better than that david day guy who you used to read from.
Old 12-03-2001, 09:22 PM   #19
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

I believe it. Beating Day's Encyclopedia shouldn't be too difficult, I could do it, granted the time

Who wrote the Dictionary?
Old 12-04-2001, 04:50 PM   #20
Bregalad, Ent of Fangorn
Sapling

Treebeard

The Dictionary was written by one J.E.A. Tyler