Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > C.S. Lewis
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-21-2011, 06:14 PM   #25
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midge View Post
Saw it! SPOILERS follow in my review!
So they will follow in my answer as well.
I basically liked the movie, but there were quite a few things that I wish they had done better.

Quote:
However, I despised the whole green fog thing and making "Dark Island". In the book, it was the island where things you've dreamt come true; in the movie it's the evil island
of mist that tempts you until the seven swords of Aslan are reunited and then if you're lucky enough to have the High King Peter's sword, you can defeat the ultimate manifestation of evil green mist: the sea serpent.
Does anyone understand my frustration with this?
Partly, but
the way I interpret the movie, the sea serpent isn't so much the ultimate manifestation of evil green mist, it's merely what Edmund happened to think of at the time.
The island is where your fears come true, even more than your nightmares.

Quote:
Also Dragon-Eustace should have been green. I don't know if it says he was gold in the book, but I've always imagined that he would make an excellent green dragon.
It doesn't say anything about his color. I just checked. I'm sure green would have been good on him - but perhaps they avoided the green because they were using it for the evil mist, and he wasn't supposed to be evil.

Quote:
I can't think of a specific problem with how Eustace was undragoned, but the whole thing was just not right. Possibly it was rushed, possibly it was because there was no well, possibly it was because Aslan never touched Eustace... It just doesn't feel right to me.
I didn't feel that bad about it, and I didn't miss the well, I didn't mind it being done on the island - but it was rushed. I wish they had given it more time - especially more time to Eustace trying to remove his skin himself, before Aslan has to take over.

Quote:
Actually, that's actually the problem with the whole movie. There was so much they had to work with that they tossed out the nuances and kept the generalities.
Yes. The rush was the biggest problem. It didn't give them time to go in any depth. Too few nuances. And not enough time for bonding.

The main things I missed were the throwing out of Governor Gumpas from the Lone Islands, and the scene where Eustace and Edmund talk about Eustace's undragoning. Eustace tells the basics of it in the movie, but we don't get any of Edmund's input. "You were only an ass, but I was a traitor."

Quote:
Also - Eustace = PERFECT! Definitely my favorite character! He got on my nerves the WHOLE time, just like he was supposed to do! On second thought, I might go see "The Silver Chair" if they make it just to see him again.
I wholeheartedly agree about that!
And the interactions between Eustace and Reepicheep were the best parts of the movie (followed by the parting at the end).

And I'm going to watch it again on Monday - with a friend who hasn't seen it before and who hasn't watched all the spoilers and trailers and TV-spots in advance. If they make SC, perhaps I should try to go spoiler-free. There was very little in this movie to surprise me at the theatre ...

I hope they will make an extended version for DVD - giving more time to some of those rushed scenes!

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Varnafindë is offline   Reply With Quote