Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-15-2008, 09:42 PM   #1
orithil
Captain Jack

Movie soundtracks

What is your favourite soundtrack from any movie. Mine, which will come as no suprise to some people is the Pirates of the Caribbean soundtrack.

Cortana: So have you got a plan to get out?
Master Chief: I was gonna shoot my way out. Mix things up a little.
orithil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 04:04 PM   #2
D.Sullivan
Elven Warrior

Let's see...

The Last of the Mohicans has a great, classic soundtrack.

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy has one of my favorite soundtracks. FotR I think is especially good.

I just love the Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World soundtrack. I wish I could find the sheet music for some of the violin/cello duets.

I've got to say, I've enjoyed John William's score for all the Star Wars films. In fact, I think the music got even better with the New Trilogy. Of course, that's with a lot of the old music still present in the New Trilogy.

Those are the ones I can list off the top of my head.

Oh yeah! Terrance Malick's films always have great music. Just check out The Thin Red Line.
As beautifully as it was taken up.

Thoreau.
D.Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 05:15 PM   #3
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Star Wars & Indy, definitely.
I'd also add Pulp Fiction, and O Brother Where Art Thou.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:35 PM   #4
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Hm, hard to pick a favourite soundtrack. Pirates of the Caribbean has some wonderful feisty tunes. Jurassic Park remains one of my favourites as well. The Star Wars series of course have a lot of undying melodies too. I think even the new films got some pretty nice music.
Old 09-17-2008, 02:58 AM   #5
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

I've been collecting/studying movie scores for the better part of a decade now. If there's one work that's absolutely canonical, it would have to be John Williams' score for The Empire Strikes Back (and the Star Wars series as a whole). What sets John Williams apart from everyone else, though, is his diversity - everything from the modern sounds of Close Encounters to the jazz-inspired themes of Catch Me If You Can and The Terminal.

Among recent composers, Harry Gregson-Williams (Chicken Run, Shrek, etc.) and Michael Giacchino (The Incredibles, Ratatouille) come to mind. And Thomas Newman for sure, if you like Celtic influences (Road to Perdition, Finding Nemo). Or '90s James Horner (Braveheart, Titanic), though if you really want to hear something special, try his score to The Land Before Time.

Howard Shore, you all know about. And I've never quite taken to Danny Elfman or Hans Zimmer, but they've given us quite a few gems.

Alan Menken is the post-'80s Disney sound. The poverty of the modern Disney scores without him is astonishing.

The orchestration of classic films really sets them apart from a lot of what's going on today, though. Some of the best practitioners: Erich Wolfgang Korngold, Bernard Hermann, Maurice Jarre, Ennio Morricone, Nino Rota, Henry Mancini, Leonard Bernstein, Max Steiner.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 02:16 PM   #6
D.Sullivan
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronParrot View Post

Among recent composers, Harry Gregson-Williams (Chicken Run, Shrek, etc.) and Michael Giacchino (The Incredibles, Ratatouille) come to mind. And Thomas Newman for sure, if you like Celtic influences (Road to Perdition, Finding Nemo). Or '90s James Horner (Braveheart, Titanic), though if you really want to hear something special, try his score to The Land Before Time.
Good post! I love Harry Gregson-Williams! Chicken Run had a brilliant score. His score for the Ridley Scott film Kingdom of Heaven is also very good, to my ear.

How about some James Newton Howard? I remember humming his scores for Peter Pan(03) and Unbreakable for weeks after seeing them.

Thoreau.
Old 09-17-2008, 02:29 PM   #7
Alcuin
Salt Miner

I don’t know if it counts as a movie soundtrack, but I am very impressed with Bear McCreary’s Battlestar Galactica soundtrack. “Baltar's Dream” is particularly impressive.
Alcuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 04:06 PM   #8
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Re: James Newton Howard - I think his work on Jackson's King Kong is severely underrated, and its reputation is somewhat mired by the fact that JNH replaced Howard Shore at the last minute. I haven't given much thought to how the King Kong score stands alone, but it captures a lot of the nostalgia that Jackson was trying to communicate in the film - nostalgia for both the hustle-and-bustle of '30s Manhattan as well as the high adventure of Skull Island.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 10:34 PM   #9
D.Sullivan
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcuin View Post
I don’t know if it counts as a movie soundtrack, but I am very impressed with Bear McCreary’s Battlestar Galactica soundtrack. “Baltar's Dream” is particularly impressive.
So say we all!

I love the Celtic/Scottish touch he brings to the happier moments in the show, of which there are very few, so you don't get to hear it often...but when you do, it leaves a deep impression. For me, anyway.

Thoreau.

Last edited by D.Sullivan : 09-17-2008 at 10:44 PM.
Old 09-20-2008, 10:53 PM   #10
b.banner
Elf Lord

Location: Trying to keep a hold on my temper so I don't turn into a big green guy.
all the Indiana Jones and Star Wars soundtracks classic
"We are going to tickle some Aes Sedai under the chin, rescue a mule, and put a snip-nosed girl on the Lion Throne. Oh, yes. That's Aviendha. Don't look at her cross-wise or she'll try to cut your throat and probably slit her own by mistake."-Mat Cauthon from Wheel of Time

"Don't make me angry, you wouldn't like me when I'm angry...."-Dr. Bruce Banner
HULK
BATMAN
THE FLASH
b.banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 09:45 AM   #11
shesabrandybuck
Hero of Hyrule

I am going to go with Sweeney Todd, LOL, I really do enjoy listening to it
And of course the LOTR soundtracks, they are all very good. I particularly like listening to it when I clean my room....haha i dont know why, it gets me motivated...
And many miles be still to go,
But under a tree I will lie,
And let the clouds go sailing by.

twitter
shesabrandybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 09:35 AM   #12
Empress_Flynn
Elf Lord

Besides LotR, of course:

At the moment.... Pan's Labyrinth but that might just be because it's playing right now....

I'm also quite keen on the Sense and Sensibility soundtrack, Chocolat, and The Secret Garden and... okay... way too many to list...

"Even a mirror will not show you yourself, if you do not wish to see."

"But remember... clowns make two things around here: balloon animals... and enemies."

"If I loved you then I would love you in any way I could, and if we could not touch, then I would draw strength from your beauty... And if I went blind, I would fill my soul with the sound of your voice and the contents of your thoughts until the last spark of my love for you lit the shabby darkness of my dying mind."

Empress_Flynn is offline   Reply With Quote