Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2002, 01:44 AM   #1
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

What musical instrument(s) do you play?

Hmm... since it doesn't seem like this has been discussed here, I might as well throw it out on the table.

So, erm, answer the question, and elaborate as much as you'd like.

Me: I play the piano, trained classically for about ten or eleven years (and recently received my Royal Conservatory certification), but I also do a lot of improvisational jazz, both in bands and by myself. I've also played the clarinet for about six years, and learned it by way of school bands, clinics and workshops. Not so much jazz experience there, but a little bit, nonetheless.

I can also strum a few chords on guitar and play a few simple ditties on harmonica.

You?
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
Old 07-12-2002, 08:43 AM   #2
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Hi Iron Parrot. I play piano. I took lessons for five years. I HATED it! I had to practice a half hour everyday, right after school. I'd pull a chair up to the wall clock and move the hands, I thought my mom would fall for this! My teacher in Germany, Heir (sp) Felke, smoked a cigar while I played for him. He would flick his ashes on the bass keys! In the states, my teacher had a roll of toilet paper on the piano for when he made his students cry. Fun! Now my husband plays string instruments beautifully, he really enjoys it too. He was self taught, and I wonder if this didn't make a difference. He can't read music like I can, but he enjoys it so much more. I'd like to get a piano now and just try to play without any music to read. I love doing my own thing, and with music, this would be fun. (perhaps painful for others to listen to!)

Last edited by Lizra : 07-12-2002 at 09:10 AM.
Old 07-12-2002, 09:00 AM   #3
Erendis
Sapling

I too play the clarinet. Not very well since I just started learning last year (school band) though. My mom wants me to play the piano but I have no interest in that. It's fun to just play around on the keyboard.
Haiyanna palant?*rina
aldarembie endorillor
Fanoiolosse, len linduvan
nive ear, simen nive earon!
Old 07-12-2002, 10:51 AM   #4
glasses
Enting

I started to learn to play the piano in April.
Alright you primitive screwheads, listen up! See this? *This* is my BOOMSTICK! It's a 12-gauge double-barreled Remington. S-Mart's top of the line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about $109.95. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. YOU GOT THAT?

Our early attempts for a tractor beam went through several preparations. Preparations A through G were a complete failure. But now, ladies and gentlemen, we finally have a working tractor beam, which we shall call...Preparation H.
Old 07-12-2002, 07:34 PM   #5
Shadowfax
The Fleet-Footed

I took piano lessons from age 6 to about age 12 (wasn't conservatory, so don't know what "grade" I got to), dropped the lessons for a while but kept playing by myself - sight reading, playing by ear, etc. Then when I was 15, I took lessons again for about a year with a new teacher. And now I just teach myself by getting books out of the library and trying to play the songs!!

In grade 6 & 7 I played the French Horn for band at school.

In grade 4 & 5 I played ukulele (ICK!!!) at school.

"To remain ignorant of things that happened before you were born is to remain a child" (Cicero, 106-43 B.C.)

"Art is a lie which makes us realize the truth" (Picasso)
Old 07-12-2002, 10:22 PM   #6
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

oops, I meant to close this earlier before anyone posted. Oh well. IP, this topic has been discussed before. In many topics, and specifically a more recent one with almost the exact title. Ill locate it and then close this.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
Old 07-12-2002, 10:26 PM   #7
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

this might be most recent: http://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/show...light=baritone

And there are other topics too. Close or continue, its your choice IP. It was in general messages, so I guess you didn't look there. Just put in some keyword instruments or "music" or something and they come up . We have a search feature here (top right).

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
Old 07-13-2002, 12:59 AM   #8
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Blah! Curses! Okay, let's go with yours...
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
Closed Thread