Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-29-2002, 10:52 PM   #1
Aeryn
Bank'ress of Sith

The Critics Corner

Okay, everyone's a critic. Here is where you post your critics review of whatever movie you choose for your subject. If someone else has done that movie, so what, you may have different idea's. These movies can be old or new, and the reason is not only to debate the finer points of a movie, but to help the poor saps who go to the movie store and don't know which one to choose.

Also, they do not need to be well-written, they DO need to be intelligible however. (You don't have to slave over it for an hour.)

My review: Rosemary's Baby

Roman Polaski's film adaptation of the Ira Levin's book Rosemary's Baby , is a classic piece of horror from an era before hacked off limbs and mutilated teens soaked the genre with fake buckets of blood. The suspense and feeling you get as you watch Rosemary go through her strange and eventful pregnancy is enough to make anyone aware of the excellent preformances by Mia Farrow and Steven Cassavettes. Rich atmosphere and deliberate pacing is definitely the finer points of the movie, yet it denies us the now cliche horror movie violence we see in today's movies. In fact, the climatic moment denies us the images we have anticipated for the films 2 hr plus running time. Never the less Polaski's gore-less masterpiece is as effective today as it was decades ago.

I particularly enjoyed the seemingly sweet humming at the beginning, and how it morphs into an eery lullaby when they play it at the end. Nice touches compliment this film, and I would recommend it to anyone who has a great deal of patience(only for the simple fact that it is 2+ hours long, if you saw FotR you can sit throught this).

This one is deactivated, I think.
Aeryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2002, 02:14 AM   #2
Duddun
I Antha

My review:8 mile
Eminem stars in his own biography(autobiography). He does a great job acting, it's like it is actually really real. Although that kinda makes sense since it's a bio. It is very violent though. I will not tell much about it because it just came out. Fabulous movie though!
I hope that was intelligable enough!
I'm Not Evil!
If the critics say it's good, is it really That good?
It's a bird! It's a plane! No! It's a balloon!
Duddun, Son of Bubbun
Duddun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 07:56 PM   #3
Aeryn
Bank'ress of Sith

Quills - Joaquin Phoenix, Greoffry Rush, Kate Winslet, and Micheal Kane.

Banished to a secluded Paris asylum, the Marquis de Sade (Geoffrey Rush), whose groundbreaking works changed the language of sexuality and literature, continues to threaten the moral conservatism of Napoleon’s France by secretly smuggling out his spicy manuscripts with the help of the asylum’s most alluringly innocent member: the young maid Madeleine (Kate Winslet). The asylum’s young priest, Abbet de Coulmier (Joaquin Phoenix), humanely tries to rehabilitate the Marquis’ twisted soul while keeping Madeleine at a safe distance, both from the Marquis and himself. Through the endless days and nights at the asylum the two opposing men form a tentative relationship of mutual tolerance. But, neither is willing admit the one secret they have in common - their feelings for Madeleine.

The three form an unlikely and dangerous love triangle that proves to be the ultimate test of the priest’s sanctity and the Marquis’ wrath. Keenly aware of human weakness, the Marquis prays on de Coulmier’s humanity and on Madeleine’s innocence. But the feisty young woman has her own reasons for defying orders, and de Coulmier’s faith is stronger than the Marquis imagined.

As the Marquis’ popularity continues unabated in France, the brilliant and notorious Dr. Royer-Collard (Micheal Caine) is hired to "cure" the insatiable writer and to supervise de Coulmier. Royer-Collard and de Coulmier form an unfriendly alliance to stifle the irreverent Marquis’ work and improve the image of the asylum. But the Marquis cannot and will not be silenced, and Madeleine refuses to be controlled. The more Royer-Collard and de Coulmier try to censor, the higher the stakes become in this extraordinary battle of wills between young and old, innocence and malevolence that careens through the asylum’s haunting corridors.

I cannot go into more detail, for I fear being censored for spoilers. , but let's just say Don't rent this when children and young teens are around. Thanks!

Last edited by Aeryn : 12-05-2002 at 07:58 PM.
Old 12-06-2002, 11:14 PM   #4
Duddun
I Antha

I'm a young teen so yah. You really liked that movie didn't you?
I'm Not Evil!
Duddun, Son of Bubbun
Old 12-08-2002, 06:46 PM   #5
Aeryn
Bank'ress of Sith

It was the most amazing film I have seen in a while. It's ranked as my No. 1 favorite film.

Old 12-08-2002, 07:48 PM   #6
Duddun
I Antha

Cool! I don't know what is ranked as my #1 fav. film.
I'm Not Evil!
Duddun, Son of Bubbun
Old 12-08-2002, 07:51 PM   #7
Aeryn
Bank'ress of Sith

Most people have a hard time choosing, I have a hard time choosing. But the plot is soooooooooo gooooooooooood

Old 12-10-2002, 10:33 PM   #8
Maiden of Rohan
Sapling

Die Another Day- Pierce Brosnan, Halle Berry

The typical James Bond movie. Lots of blood and one night stands. Back stabbing is in abundance, and many air brushed perfect actresses, making young women look at their changing bodies and say "I'm fat". All in all, a very good representation of the current state of our warped and twisted society. The action was cool though, I must admit, and the gadgets were probably the best ever. An invisible car! That was sweet. Though another problem I had with the movie was that so many really nice cars were trashed. My boyfriend sat next to me cringing everytime a car get hit with a shower of bullets. All in all, in my opinion, cool effects and gadgets, terrible morals, but then again, this is a Bond movie.
Maiden of Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote