Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-24-2006, 08:05 PM   #1
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Writing using Tengwar characters - II

[moderator note - from Rian's opening post to the first thread, which is here ]

Ok, I did a search on this and found "speaking in Elvish" threads but not one specifically on writing using the Tengwar characters, so here goes...

I didn't have time/talent to learn elvish, so I decided to help satisfy my M.E. cravings by learning the Tengwar characters for the English mode and write in English using Tengwar. It is really fun, and also - I don't know, I guess almost physically enjoyable (to me, they just look so pretty! I think Tolkien wrote somewhere that he wanted to invent characters that were visually pleasing). They look nice written with a chisel-point pen, but a regular one works just fine, too.

It took a little bit of time to memorize them so I could write fluently, and I still can't read quickly (I have to go character by character except for words of 2 characters, which I can read right away), but it was well worth it, plus you can write ANYTHING you want down in a journal and not worry about someone finding it and reading it! (at least no one around me can read it!)

I know katya writes in Tengwar - anyone else?

***********Edit: It's almost 8 months later, and I"m still happily writing Tengwar! Some new Tengwar fans have recently joined, and just for the sake of convenience, I'm editing this post and adding the two best links on Tengwar that I've found: the passagen link and the elfique link .

***********Edit: I thought I would add some links to some of the attachments that people had, to show off our all our fun and unique and pretty Tengwar
Earniel's Elvish rock
RÃ*an's Nargothrond poem from Lays of Beleriand

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

*bump*

So, any more Tengwar writers here? Anyone that wants to learn?

I need to re-learn, because I haven't done it in awhile!

Nov 2010 - edit to add links that changed - passagen is now at http://at.mansbjorkman.net/ and called Amanye Tenceli

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 11-16-2010 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Editing in opening post information; adding changed links
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 10:01 PM   #2
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

I finished writing a paragraph in the Sil for one of my art projects....it was rather stressful b/c I couldn't decide on if I should translate letter for letter or by phonetics!
Arien the Maia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 11:28 PM   #3
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

yeah, it's kinda personal taste, which I like, actually ...

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 10-24-2006, 11:31 PM   #4
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Sam Gamgee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
yeah, it's kinda personal taste, which I like, actually ...
I ended up doing both basically it came down to whatever looked better! But I did vary between the English/Quenya versions though I only used Quenya for the names of Feanaro and Nerdanel.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:07 PM   #5
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arien the Maia
I finished writing a paragraph in the Sil for one of my art projects....it was rather stressful b/c I couldn't decide on if I should translate letter for letter or by phonetics!
Who cares? Not like anyone else can read it.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:23 AM   #6
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Quote:
Originally Posted by trolls' bane
Who cares? Not like anyone else can read it.
true...but it will bug me if it's not all the same
Old 10-26-2006, 05:13 PM   #7
Rían

yeah, that's like when I crochet an entire scarf and I always see the one teensy error in it!

Old 10-26-2006, 08:00 PM   #8
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Quote:
yeah, that's like when I crochet an entire scarf and I always see the one teensy error in it!
doncha just hate that!
Old 10-26-2006, 11:23 PM   #9
Rían

yeah! My husband says that that's just proof that it's handmade

Old 10-31-2006, 12:41 PM   #10
tolkienfan
Elf Lord

I heard that some people (the Amish I think) purposely put a mistake in their quilts and stuff because they believe that only God could make a perfect one and they don't want theirs to seem perfect. I still write Tengwar sometimes. It's really fun! That's a cool idea for an art project. How did it end up? What paragraph did you write?

Thanks so much to Last Child of Ungoliant, Twista, and BeardofPants for my avatar!
tolkienfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 01:19 PM   #11
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolkienfan
I heard that some people (the Amish I think) purposely put a mistake in their quilts and stuff because they believe that only God could make a perfect one and they don't want theirs to seem perfect. I still write Tengwar sometimes. It's really fun! That's a cool idea for an art project. How did it end up? What paragraph did you write?
My picture ended up ok. I wrote a paragraph from the Silmarillion aroudn the edges of the canvas. It was a paragraph describing Nerdanel, because she was the subject of my picture.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:10 PM   #12
Rían

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolkienfan
I heard that some people (the Amish I think) purposely put a mistake in their quilts and stuff because they believe that only God could make a perfect one and they don't want theirs to seem perfect.
I've heard that, too - quaint!

Old 11-01-2006, 12:40 AM   #13
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

Isn't it enough that making a "perfect" quilt would still include slight molecular or other microscopic or nanoscopic errors, some perhaps only visible in the extended microdimensions?
Old 11-02-2006, 01:18 PM   #14
Rían

No, because I"m not responsible for that

Old 11-02-2006, 01:22 PM   #15
Rían

(note - letter accent marks aat : http://desktoppub.about.com/library/weekly/naccents.htm)

Old 11-07-2006, 02:47 AM   #16
Rían

I'm designing some Tengwar writing for my bow ... bows and tengwar just seem to go together!

Old 11-07-2006, 12:53 PM   #17
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Quote:
I'm designing some Tengwar writing for my bow ... bows and tengwar just seem to go together!
you do archery? are you going to have it engraved on the bow?
Old 06-15-2010, 07:12 PM   #18
Hirulin
Hobbit

Tengwar Writings

Greetings my fellow Tolkien Nuts!

I am starting this thread as I know of no other way to find a like-minded individual with which to write to in the Tengwar script!

I have been writing with the tengwar for a good few years now, and so far, I have written only to myself (not in a wierd way! But journals, poems etc!)

I Love to write in this script and would love it even more if I could write to some-one else who could read it! (and possibly give me some pointers on errors etc, although I feel I've pretty much nailed it now!)

Basically, I'm looking for a "pen/key-pal"! I'm 25 and live in Yorkshire in the UK.

I have a scanner, so if you'd rather scan and e-mail the letters (which I'd fully understand) thats not a problem!

I look forward to writing to you!

By the way, I write in the Sindarin mode (i.e. Vowels above the letter they precede) but with English words (I can't speak sindarin, I only know a few words courtesy of Thorsten Renk's "Pedin Edhellen" [sindarin course] )

My e-mail is nikki.dione@yahoo.co.uk Please feel free to e-mail me any letters/notes in sindarin as you see fit, any e-mail will be replied to!

Thanks again and till next time

cuio vae!

Hirulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:21 PM   #19
katya
Elven Maiden

Ooh, Tengwar! I might just have to take you up on that. I used to write in the tengwar all the time but it's been a while and I'll have to refresh my memory on it. There's a thread around here on tengwar in I think the Middle Earth forum (which is there I imagine this thread will be moved to) with a lot of discussion and writings we've posted.

I've been meaning to re-learn how to write, I have a little bit of motivation now. I think it'll come back quickly enough.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:42 PM   #20
Hirulin
Hobbit

Oooh, I didn't see that thread! Will go a hunting! Thanx katya! Hope some-one takes me up on it! lol!

I'm sure it'll all come back to you hun! what mode do/did you write in?

Hirulin is offline   Reply With Quote