Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-30-2012, 03:20 AM   #1
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Great Apps

I am soooooo excited - I just found a free app for something that I've wanted for years and that costs over $200 for the special piece of equipment. And now it's a free app for my iPod!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!

It's called Tempo Slo Mo and it takes music from your ipod or from other sources and will slow down the tempo without changing the pitch!!!!!! I like to take pieces I hear and learn them and then play around with them and rearrange them to how I like it. Of course, the hard part is figuring them out without music (I'm talking harp pieces, which are often very fast and two-handed) - you have to just play over and over and OVER and work on the melody line, then the harmony, then the base line, then any filler notes, etc. etc. And it's time-consuming for a non-professional, non-"natural" player like myself (but so worth it!)

A few years ago, I wondered if there was a player that would do this for you, and sure enough, I found a little MP-3 player in a harp catalogue that did just this. Only drawback - it was $200 (and it was another piece of equipment to keep track of and fill with batteries). I just couldn't justify paying that much money for something like that, so I sadly put it on the back burner. But tonight, as I was waiting for my son's wrestling practice to finish up, I played one of my absolute favorite harp pieces and wished for the millionth time that I could figure it out. I googled the basic idea when I got home, and lo and behold - it's a free app!!!!!!

It works so well!!!! I can't wait to pull out my harp tomorrow and give it a try. And it even has really handy controls - you can set a start and stop position if you only want to deal with a certain part at a time, and you can even set loop positions so it continuously plays a section over and over without you having to push a button. Obviously, it had input from a musician.

Anyway, I know there's a lot of musicians on this board, so I wanted to share it, and I thought why not just make it a general thread for great apps.

And along those lines, another free app is a game called "Flow" - it's just fun puzzle-solving with fun sound effects. It's curiously soothing, and fun to draw the little connecting flow lines in bright colors under your fingertips.

Anyone else have some good apps to share?

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 11-30-2012 at 03:28 AM.
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:30 AM   #2
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

ps - there are add-ons that are 99 cents each, and two that are worth it are the playlist, so you can save your stuff, and the pitch changer.

I'm so excited! If I were home alone, I'd haul out my harp and start playing, but it's 12:30 at night and I don't want to wake the family

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:38 PM   #3
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

There's an app I loved called "OLO." It's sort of like shuffleboard for the iPad. Broke it out this thanksgiving and my whole family loved it! Kept us entertained for hours!
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:18 PM   #4
Mari
Elf Lady

I play Ruzzle a lot, use Moonreader for reading books (it has a great selection of books you can download) and I use an app to learn Korean. I'm working on getting an app for Scottish, but you have to pay for it and though I have the money, I don't have the creditcard.

Ruzzle is awesome. It's a wordgame where you have 2 minutes to find as many words as you can. If you want to play with me, PM me for my playname

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote