Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-20-2012, 01:22 AM   #1
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Does anyone have something that "actually" comes from Middle Earth?

I was just over at the Teacup Cafe and ended up talking about a tea mug that I have that I am "sure" came from Middle Earth through some mysterious, magical portal and ended up on a store shelf, where I saw it and immediately recognized it for what it was - something made by the elves in Lorien.

I also have some earrings from Greenwood and a necklace from Lorien.

Does anyone else have something that is "actually" from Middle Earth? I mean something where you're just walking along in a store, and then something just hits you like a ton of bricks as being somehow from Middle Earth? (of course not really, but do you know what I mean?)

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:41 AM   #2
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

When I was 13 i found a wide plain golden ring nestled among the roots of a tree.

I took it home and half-sheepishly heated it to see if there was any writing on the inside.

Since the tree was on an earth bank outside a local pub, it was probably tossed away by some drunk guy after a fight with his wife. I put up an ad but nobody claimed it; later exchanged it for an ivory bracelet with a young Masai girl on a bus in Kenya.

More in the spirit of the post, I once bought a mug that I swear came from the Shire.

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:08 AM   #3
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I have a few things, that while maybe not from Middle-earth itself, must be by the hands of Middle-earthern exiles.

A pendant with a white glass pearl surrounded by curling silver bands. If it's not from some long lost hoard the Fëanoreans took with them when they marched from Aman, I don't know where else that lovely design could have come from.

And pebbles so lovely in shape and colour that I imagined they washed on the these beaches after being dislodged from the shores of Alqualondë in a storm. I can tell because there's micca in them and they sparkle.
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:58 AM   #4
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

... does movie props count? If so, we've got full damn suits and weapons from the shoot itself in the shop. It's actually pretty fun, I get to make this stuff all the time. I'm currently working on a velvet waistcoat that I think Frodo himself would look dashing in.
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
The last sane person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:22 PM   #5
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayMouser View Post
When I was 13 i found a wide plain golden ring nestled among the roots of a tree.

I took it home and half-sheepishly heated it to see if there was any writing on the inside.
I would SO do that, too!

Quote:
More in the spirit of the post, I once bought a mug that I swear came from the Shire.
Yes, mugs sound Shire-ish. I have a lot of mugs - I like to collect them - but I haven't found one that feels like it's from the Shire yet. You lucky guy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post
I have a few things, that while maybe not from Middle-earth itself, must be by the hands of Middle-earthern exiles.

A pendant with a white glass pearl surrounded by curling silver bands. If it's not from some long lost hoard the Fëanoreans took with them when they marched from Aman, I don't know where else that lovely design could have come from.
Yes, that's just what I'm talking about - it sounds lovely! and elvish, definitely. Something about curling silver - I know what you mean.

Quote:
And pebbles so lovely in shape and colour that I imagined they washed on the these beaches after being dislodged from the shores of Alqualondë in a storm. I can tell because there's micca in them and they sparkle.
Oh, I hadn't thought of that - things that aren't made, like pebbles. I'll have to be on the look-out now! We have some beautiful quartz in Arizona.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The last sane person View Post
... does movie props count? If so, we've got full damn suits and weapons from the shoot itself in the shop. It's actually pretty fun, I get to make this stuff all the time. I'm currently working on a velvet waistcoat that I think Frodo himself would look dashing in.
Wow, suits and weapons from the movie?! That wasn't quite what I was talking about - I was talking about actual things you just stumble upon and you're like "Wow, that looks like it's from Middle Earth!", but that's really cool! Which ones are they, and how in the world did you lay your hands on them? I just loved the weaponry that they came up with for the movie. And yes, hobbits are certainly waistcoat-y. I enjoyed hearing Ngila Dickson talking about Frodo's waistcoats. She was a genius with fabric and shape!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Last edited by Rían : 09-27-2012 at 08:26 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:24 PM   #6
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

My harp, for sure! I don't have time to play much, but every once in a while I do get to sit down and play a little. Luckily my music knowledge lets me fiddle around some without having to actually practice a lot.

Mine looks just like this:

I love the curved soundboard! I think it makes it look extra elvish.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:31 PM   #7
Earniel

And the Cardboard Harp of Gondor! I mean, it must be from Middle-earth, right, considering it already has the Gondorean tree and all?
Old 10-02-2012, 03:34 PM   #8
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

True dat! I sort of miss playing the awesome Cardboard Harp of Gondor, but ummm.... my wooden harp has a lot more strings and sounds better.

WHAT STRANGE TREASON IS THIS THAT PASSES MY OWN LIPS!?!?!

Tonight I am going to go home and pluck at least one string on the cardboard harp FOR(/of) GONDOR!!!!
Old 10-02-2012, 04:22 PM   #9
Earniel

Well, considering your wooden harp is most likely Elvish and since the Elves have had centuries more to learn how to make the most awesome harps, I can sort of see your point.

But I bet your Cardboard harp of Gondor is secretly waiting until your Elvish harp decides to sail west...
Old 10-02-2012, 08:47 PM   #10
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

LOL! Well said, Earniel.

I also have this green felt vest that was given to me by a friend. It's a bit too large for me, and has lots of buttons. I've always wished I could wear it, but it really doesn't fit. But it just seems like something a (far too thin!!!!!) hobbit would wear.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:53 PM   #11
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an View Post
Wow, suits and weapons from the movie?! That wasn't quite what I was talking about - I was talking about actual things you just stumble upon and you're like "Wow, that looks like it's from Middle Earth!", but that's really cool! Which ones are they, and how in the world did you lay your hands on them? I just loved the weaponry that they came up with for the movie. And yes, hobbits are certainly waistcoat-y. I enjoyed hearing Ngila Dickson talking about Frodo's waistcoats. She was a genius with fabric and shape!
Yep, and suits and weapons from other movies besides, but that's another can of jam. Reason I have and am around them is I am an apprentice blacksmith with Vulcan Knife under Master Paul Inman. He and my senior apprentice Ira do a LOT of armouring and weapon crafting for movies, museum replicas and the like. I get to make a lot of these middle earth themed things, actually, and am currently working under my master's supervision on designing and making some Persian/elven daggers for a commissioned piece. It's pretty neat.
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
The last sane person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:38 AM   #12
katya
Elven Maiden

This makes me long for the days when a long sleeved gray t-shirt was an "elven cloak", a perfume bottle was the "vial of Galadriel", and the garden hose was "Anduin". Which, now that I say it, makes me wonder how old I was then, and I was a little older than I'd like to admit...
Old 11-29-2012, 03:16 AM   #13
Rían

Ahhh, those glimpses of Middle Earth ...

One of my earrings broke ... It may be silly, but I got a lot of pleasure out of those earrings, because they really reminded me of Middle Earth, and it made me feel better in a small but real way