Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-16-2003, 10:26 PM   #1
Agalayth
Elven Warrior

Favorite place you've ever been...?

What's your favorite place you've ever been? I've traveled a lot within the USA, and I've traveled to the following countries: Canada, Jamaica (twice), St. Lucia, Dominican Republic, New Zealand and Australia. So far, my favorite place has been Australia, mainly because it was so different from anywhere else I'd been. Cairns was fabulous, and so was Sydney. The Blue Mountains were a very spectacular sight. In Cairns, we went to a zoo-like place and went snorkeling in the Great Barrier Reef. Keep in mind, this trip and the NZ trip was with a youth travel group. In Sydney, we visited the stadium and the Sydney Opera House, which was amazing. We also went on a harbor tour, where I got most of my best pictures.

I also really liked Jamaica because we went to the same resort twice, and for the same reason too - my Grandma's birthday. Both visits were very fun, and the people down in Jamaica are so nice (not to be stereotypical or anything... ).

So, what's your favorite place you've ever been? Tell about the experience and what you liked best about it.
Old 06-16-2003, 10:28 PM   #2
gollum9630
Canadian Guy.

Quebec i went to my aunts house in La Minerv, it was so nice and quit, then i went to my uncles in Montreal and went sight seeing

Wierd Harry Potter quotes

the old nintendo duck hunt game

Lemmings

Swron

Random Homer Simpson Quotes
gollum9630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 01:31 AM   #3
Anglorfin
Alasailon

My overall favorite place in general is the Jersey Shore area. Where my grandparents live down there is a great spot to do anything from going to the beach, boardwalk, or fishing in Barnegat Bay.

my other favorite little "private" place is up in Pennsylvania. As I was walking in the woods one day I found a little underground spring that was ice cold to the touch and the sound of it trickling down into a little shallow basin was very relaxing. In the middle of the basin is a huge flat-topped rock that is perfect fo just sitting on falling asleep. Sadly, there is now a road nearby so I don't get to experience the same calming sounds anymore

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 02:24 AM   #4
Hasty Ent
Elf Lord

I've travelled to England, France, Spain, Germany (incl. East Berlin), former Yugoslavia, Italy, Belgium, Holland, and a few places in the US. I'd go back and visit any of them -- haven't been to a country I didn't like yet.

My favorite place, however, would have to be a small, dirt poor village in the Carpathian mountains of Ukraine. It had erratic electricity, plumbing was a rarity, and freight trains rattled through every couple of hours 24/7. There were no shops, no bars, no restaurants. The only road that cars could attempt to navigate was deeply rutted. Once or twice a week a car would slowly drive past, its driver white-knuckled from trying to avoid the ruts.

It was beautiful! There were wild flowers and mushrooms and berries. The people were warm and generous. The views were picture postcard.

Most of the villagers there had never been further than a city about an hour away on the train line where they went to get those items they couldn't raise/produce themselves. They were happy, and not interested in leaving. They've never been to a shopping mall, experienced traffic jams, billboards, television and its constant commercials preaching conspicuous consumption as some sort of patriotic activity. Never having known it they don't miss it. I envy them. It's unlikely that I could ever live there, but I do dream about it. The 7 days I spent there were some of the happiest days of my life.
Old 06-17-2003, 07:36 AM   #5
Finarwe
Enting

I have been to some country's, too. USA, UK, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, Tech. Republic, and of cause Germany, were I'm from.
I liked Cambridge (UK) and Heidelberg (Germany), those old university towns and Berlin is a interesting place to be . And I'm always up for new experiences.
But most dearly I like my one little hometown , a nice middle age city, with a lot of historical houses and and old wall with towers around the old city-ceter.

A! Elbereth Gilthoniel!
silivren penna m?*riel
o menel aglar elenath,
Gilthoniel, A! Elbereth!
Finarwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 08:21 AM   #6
Lady of Rohan
Doughy Elf

Geeze, my vacations seem so dull in comparision to where everyone else went.

Umm. I have only been to Canada and the US. My favourite place has probably been South Carolina. The beaches where really nice, and so where all the beach houses we went to.
Lady of Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 09:49 AM   #7
Shadowfax
The Fleet-Footed

I have only travelled in Canada and the US (but I've only been to Oregon). I think my favourite place was the old section of Québec City.

"To remain ignorant of things that happened before you were born is to remain a child" (Cicero, 106-43 B.C.)

"Art is a lie which makes us realize the truth" (Picasso)
Shadowfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 05:17 PM   #8
sun-star
Lady of Letters

I've been to France, Germany, Italy, Austria, Wales and England (obviously). I think Venice was my favourite city, not counting the ones I like in my home country (Oxford, Cambridge and Canterbury in particular). But I like the countryside more, and all those countries have great countryside.
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 05:47 PM   #9
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

I've been to:

Germany
France
Switzerland
Spain
Portugal
Missouri, USA (numerous states, but this was the main residence; Colorado coming in second)
Ufa, Russia
Murmansk, Russia

My favourite place I've been is Entmoot.

Okay, okay...

I liked Russia a lot, and we had a nice (relatively) ritzy apartment with an ocean view in Portugal, so that one was probably my favourite. It was so nice to go out on the balcony and watch the waves come in, smell the sea air, and listen to the roaring. The ocean rocks.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 05:59 PM   #10
Agalayth
Elven Warrior

I've been to the following states in the USA: Maine (I live here), New Hampshire, Massachusetts, New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Maryland, South Carolina, Florida, California, Nevada, Utah, Ohio and Michigan. I visit Michigan most frequently out of them (every summer) because that's where most of my dad's side of the family lives. However, my favorite is South Carolina. My aunt, uncle and cousins used to live in Myrtle Beach, and my uncle was the manager of an amusement park there (The Pavillion). It was so cool cause we'd be able to get in for free. But the best part of Myrtle Beach was the ocean. The ocean usually had a lot of waves, and the water was an awesome temperature of 80+, and it was just sooooooo fun!
Old 06-17-2003, 06:31 PM   #11
Sween
im quite stupid

Anne summers.........changed my life
Old 06-18-2003, 05:35 AM   #12
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Sween
Anne summers.........changed my life
Ah yes, I remember my first trip to that exotic paradise

Favourite place in the world..........so far Ireland (Greece, Spain etc were ok, I'm not really a lover of extreme heat tho') Scotland, especially highlands and luckyily enough, 'cos it's lonly a few mins away, Cumbria

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 06:38 AM   #13
Baby-K
Corruptor

Erm, lemme see - Vic Falls in Zimbabwe is cool, Mozambique has some pretty awesome beaches, Botswana's OK (roads are a mess though).

One of my fave holidays were when we went on a desert run (that's an annual event for all bikers / 4X4 enthusiasts etc - hundreds of people get together in Jo'burg then we drive through to Namibia, cross the border & through the desert in 4X4's, trucks etc - great fun to ride the dunes with quads).

Sheesh, SA has so many great places that I've been it'd be hard to single one out - Schoemansdal is one (that's where all 7 climatic regions of SA come together so if you look on one side of the mountain you have desert, with highveld grass right next to it & on the other side there's subtropical forests). Also Knysna (well, the entire garden route to be honest) and Tsitsikama forests. Then of course God's Window (near Graskop in Mpumalanga) and definitely Margate (on the South Coast - for all the memories made there) and Sanlameer (also on the South Coast - we used to go there on holiday & if you sit on the balcony in the mornings you watch the wales & dolphins swimming around - very relaxing).

The South Coast in general is very nice - in June / July when the sardine run is on it's spectacular - the sardines swim right up,, basically onto the beaches (if you view it from the sky it's a black mass in the water of about 2km's long & .5 km's wide) - unfortunately you cannot swim then because of all the sharks that are attracted by the fish - you can just stand on the beach & watch the sharks & dolphins go crazy.

Oribi gorge is beautiful Oh & the Tugela river (great for white water rafting).

Jozi is beatiful too (I can go on a game drive not even 30 minutes away from my house, the guide will even drive in between the lions & we can sit there, watching them feed - saw a rhino calf being born there). Also, there are many historical sites around.

Two places that stand out for me are the Wondercaves (set in the Cradle of Humankind) and of course the 'nudie' farm

Quote:
I'm not really a lover of extreme heat tho
Sorry for you! Bring sunscreen then
Old 06-18-2003, 06:46 AM   #14
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Sorry for you! Bring sunscreen then
I intend to spend every night in the sauna for two weeks before I visit to get aclimatised

Actually I could start now, the sauna seems like a good idea at the mo' *got his lazy head on*

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 06:56 AM   #15
Millane
The Dude

Ummmmm the fav place would have to be Victoria, in particular the Highplains (Ned Kelly country) then Tassie which is amazing Wineglass bay, all the Pubs and distilleries and Port Arthur were great... as much as i like going overseas my fav place to visit is obviously australia (dont mind New Zealand, pretty much just a reduced copy of aust )
Old 06-18-2003, 07:06 AM   #16
Baby-K
Corruptor

Quote:
Originally posted by Coney
I intend to spend every night in the sauna for two weeks before I visit to get aclimatised

Actually I could start now, the sauna seems like a good idea at the mo' *got his lazy head on*
Yer gonna need it, the humidity at the coast can get bad (but then I love being sticky & sweaty, so it doesn't bother me)

I also wanna sauna now dammit Damn, now I'm jealous Oh well, I'll just go shopping now now
Old 06-18-2003, 12:12 PM   #17
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Favorite place at a particular time: Lamu island, Kenya, New Year's 1972/73.

You know you always go to those places and everybody says you should have been here ten years ago?

Well, this is one place THAT I WAS!!! as officially confirmed by Lonely Planet !

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 01:26 PM   #18
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

I'm not saying it's my favorite, but the thread reminded me: There are topless beaches all over France.

Actually I'll agree with Anglorfin. There is so much to do down the shore and all of it is fun. Fish, beach, go to the Lighthouse, stay home and watch Grandma get drunk (always entertaining), boardwalk.
I guess Penssylvania (sp) too, but not for the privacy. I like the lake sports; kneeboarding, tubing, attemps at skiing maybe, wakeboarding, just being pulled behind the boat on Lake Wallenpaupack.
Old 06-18-2003, 04:08 PM   #19
eowyngirl14
i don't know what i am talking about either, so don't ask

my favorite place iv ever been is Roswel, NM. where aliens landed in the 1940's. otherwise known as area 51. i went to the alien museum there. it was awesome.

'Then I will die as one of them' -Aragorn TTT movie

“They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety”
- Benjamin Franklin

arms are made for hugging

avatar from the avatar shop! made by Eowyn, Lady of Rohan
eowyngirl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 06:02 PM   #20
Elf Girl
Lurker

The favorite place I've ever been is Rivendell. I met Glorfindel there. *groans from Mooters who have already heard way to much about Glorfindel*
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote