Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-13-2002, 05:39 PM   #1
Laurenis
Enting

ok i went to the coooooooolest place...!

oh man on monday me and my mom went to her friend Cherie's house. and Cherie lives in this little village near Hull this dock city in north east england and the village is called Roos. well Cherie was telling me all these old legends and rumours in Roos about how J.R.R. Tolkien lived there for a while during the war or something like that. its all in the old village records. well first i think i should say that Roos is a really really really really old classical english village. its really small, out in the countryside. which ever direction you look in it's grassy fields and farmer trackers. theres lots of farms around the area and always people around on horses. its really a magical place. everyone knows each other inside out and there's old english pubs on every street corner.

well anyway back to my story... yeh i went to Roos and Cherie was telling me all about this Tolkien stuff. and we went to this wood in the village. it was really beautiful. just imagine... a lovely little church ontop of a hill, steps leading upto it. the sun is shining. snowdrops are in bloom all over the ground. to your left is a thick wood, hemlock and all.

well we went to the wood and Cherie told me that there used to be deer living there and there are underground passages from some of the houses near the wood, that go all the way to the church. they were from medival times or something and the priests used them for some reason i dont really remember...

well Cherie told me that rumours have it that Tolkien used this magical wood as an inspiration for some places in middle earth. i was thinking that because he lived in Roos in 1917/1918 this could be possible beacuse that's when he was writing the books.

ive been doing research all day and ive found some awesome stuff... Tolkien DID live in Roos for a while AND he spent alot of time in that wood... this is some info that i found on the www:

---Throughout 1917 and 1918 his illness kept recurring, although periods of remission enabled him to do home service at various camps sufficiently well to be promoted to lieutenant. It was when he was stationed at Hull that he and Edith went walking in the woods at nearby Roos, and there in a grove thick with hemlock Edith danced for him. This was the inspiration for the tale of Beren and Lúthien, a recurrent theme in his "Legendarium". He came to think of Edith as "Lúthien" and himself as "Beren". ---

how cool is that!!!
i just thought you guys might want to know... it really was a magical place. and its a really cool thing to think about; u know ive been in that wood and walked exactly where he did!

---Ren
'Therefore he willed that the hearts of Men should seek beyond the world and should find no rest therein; but they should have a virtue to shape their life, amid the powers and chances of the world, beyond the Music of the Ainur, which is as fate to all things else; and of their operation everything should be, in form and deed, completed, and the world fulfilled unto the last and smallest.'
Laurenis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2002, 06:56 PM   #2
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

Wow. Too cool. I want to go to England!
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2002, 08:59 PM   #3
Laurelyn
Elf Lord

Location: Valinor, right next to Telperion . . . what did you expect, Michigan?
Very, very cool!!!!

Angel of music, guide and guardian! Grant to me your glory!

The country I eat and spend the day in is by no means the country I sleep and dream in. Define patriotism.

Hold the boat, you spastic monkey! ~ Elenka
Laurelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2002, 03:47 PM   #4
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Pretty dang neat, Ren
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2002, 09:55 AM   #5
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

So, did you sit under a tree, read a chapter off Sil, and bask there one afternoon? I imagine myself doing just that if I were there.

If you took some pics, could you have them scanned and sent over?

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2002, 02:44 PM   #6
Laurenis
Enting

hey, Arathorn no not really, i havent read the Sil yet (shame on me i know...) but i boughtt it the day after and i've just started it!!! i wandered around the wood though... my gosh it was so beautiful! i didnt take any pics but im going back next weekend so i will. actually it might look nicer in the summer when all the wild flowers are out so i might wait
'Therefore he willed that the hearts of Men should seek beyond the world and should find no rest therein; but they should have a virtue to shape their life, amid the powers and chances of the world, beyond the Music of the Ainur, which is as fate to all things else; and of their operation everything should be, in form and deed, completed, and the world fulfilled unto the last and smallest.'

Last edited by Laurenis : 02-16-2002 at 02:59 PM.
Laurenis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2002, 09:14 PM   #7
galadriel88
Halfwitted Queen of Lothlorien

How cool! Now Roos is added to my long list of places to visit whenever I finally get to go on the tour of Europe I've been wanting to go on forever...I know, I know, that'll probably never happen, but hey, ya gotta dream!

+Every good thing that comes into my life is only a reflection of the greatest gift of all; the offering of yourself, dear Son of God+

Always remember, you're uniqe, just like everybody else!

"The one constant through all the years has been the Trombone. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. Its been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again, but the Trombone has marked the time. This field, this section, this band is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and could be again. Oh, people will come . . . people will most definitely come."
galadriel88 is offline   Reply With Quote