Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > The Star Wars Saga
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-19-2002, 12:47 AM   #1
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

"Clone Wars" animated series

Not half-hour episodes or whatever, as far as reports go, but CG shorts instead in the range of a few minutes apiece.

What do you think? I suppose this is the new Droids or Ewoks sort of series... especially in that it bears pretty much the same relevance to the films themselves, which is practically none, but it does have a potential for entertainment value. I'm generally against the idea of any Star Wars spinoff but I suppose this is no different than all the video games filling the gap between Episodes II and III, except you can't play them.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 08:45 AM   #2
Beleg Strongbow
Truest of Friends

Location: Pennsylvania, but I have a vacation home in the Westfarthing.
You know what I"m REALLY AGAINST? Making the stormtroopers clones.

Aure Entuleva!

John Kerry for President!
Beleg Strongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 10:25 AM   #3
Sween
im quite stupid

cartoon seris these days are all a bit crappy (have you seen what the japs have done to transformers)

I think the clone wars do need to be fleshed out a bit. If someone gives them a decent plot line that will ti in with the movie theres potential. But its for kids so everyone will be nice wont they.
Old 11-19-2002, 01:49 PM   #4
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Beleg: Stromtroopers are not clones.

Episodes 4, 5, and 6 have Stormtroopers, Snowtroopers, Sandtroopers, and Scouttroopers. Also Gunners, Pilots, officers, and Imperial Guards.
Episode 2 (Attack of the Clones) has Clonetroopers.

Clonetroopers were clones of jengo fett. They are actually the reason that conflict was called the clone wars.
Stormtroopers could possibly be clones, But I think it's more likely they're the result of careful selection, training, and brainwashing.

Since everyone in 4-6 whose face you can see is not a clone, I think it would be fair to say that the rest probably aren't clones either.
Old 11-19-2002, 02:19 PM   #5
Nibs
Head Hollara

Screw the Stormtroopers! The pit droids are takin' the galaxy by their unintentional havoc!!

Starting with Wal-Mart.

Ever heard of Mormons? I'm one. Click here to know more about us.
Nibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 02:34 PM   #6
Sween
im quite stupid

Quote:
Originally posted by Wayfarer

Episodes 4, 5, and 6 have Stormtroopers, Snowtroopers, Sandtroopers, and Scouttroopers. Also Gunners, Pilots, officers, and Imperial Guards.

Clonetroopers were clones of jengo fett. They are actually the reason that conflict was called the clone wars.
Stormtroopers could possibly be clones, But I think it's more likely they're the result of careful selection, training, and brainwashing.

Since everyone in 4-6 whose face you can see is not a clone, I think it would be fair to say that the rest probably aren't clones either.
The way i see it is the clone wars started with clones but as the war went on clones were taking too long to make and running out and they started hireing normal people.
Old 11-20-2002, 12:08 AM   #7
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Quote:
"Since everyone in 4-6 whose face you can see is not a clone, I think it would be fair to say that the rest probably aren't clones either."
That "logic" is flawed on so many levels it's not even funny.

There is no proof for or against, and as such, I accept the direct implication that the stormtroopers are the next step up from clone troopers - that is, they are clones.

Clones from multiple sources, perhaps. Clones undergoing different specialized training programs, maybe. But still clones.

True, there's no proof either way, but to claim that stormtroopers aren't clones is just going directly against implication.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Old 11-20-2002, 09:24 AM   #8
Beleg Strongbow
Truest of Friends

Quote:
Originally posted by Wayfarer

Correct you are Wayfarer. But wrong nonetheless, yes.. Good it would be indeed, if keep stormtroopers and the rest (yoda reminds you that sand,snow,scouttroopers are merely types of stormtroopers) separate from the clonetroopers they did.

But the dark side the producers at LucasArts have embraced.
References to stormtroopers as clones, sanctioned by LucasArts, now abound, yes. "Official", it is not, but widely known, it is.

The reason I don't like it is that it makes so much of the EU defunct. Those of you who hate EU with a passion, please consider that it's just like fanfiction, only published. EU is not really special, but there are some really good stories and I think that some of the stories with stormtrooper recruits are better than a clone idea.

Also,
in the script for E3, the clone troopers recieve new uniforms; they become stormtroopers directly.

Aure Entuleva!

Old 11-20-2002, 11:42 AM   #9
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Allright. So the clonetroopers become stormtroopers. That would explain why they're all teh same height and sound the same.

But I'm pretty sure that there are also conscripts. For example, luke want's to go to submit an application to 'the acadamy'. Since at that time I doubt the rebels would have an acadamy of any kind, I think it was the imperial naval acadamy. Which implies that at least the navy took recruits.
Old 11-20-2002, 12:08 PM   #10
Nibs
Head Hollara

There could have been a transition from clones to recruits, as the Empire formed and began to take control. I mean, why spend good money on clones when you can take over a planet and force 'em to work for you?

I see no problem with them switching armor and calling them Stormtroopers, but if they kept them solely as clones, well... that would be lame.

Ever heard of Mormons? I'm one. Click here to know more about us.
Nibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 12:42 PM   #11
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

ANother point to consider Palpatine originally had 2 million clonetroopers. How many stormtroopers did he have during the original trilogy?

Last edited by Wayfarer : 11-20-2002 at 12:43 PM.
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 03:52 PM   #12
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Beleg, your "spoiler text" above refers to a bogus source. There is no valid script to Episode III floating around right now... in fact, there isn't even any evidence a draft has been completed yet.

Quote:
"The reason I don't like it is that it makes so much of the EU defunct. Those of you who hate EU with a passion, please consider that it's just like fanfiction, only published. EU is not really special, but there are some really good stories and I think that some of the stories with stormtrooper recruits are better than a clone idea."
You are correct that EU is just like fanfiction. However, what separates it from fanfiction is that it makes some sort of attempt at a self-defining continuity curve. The fact that EU is indeed defunct shouldn't stop you from enjoying those stories... so long as you recognize that they have no bearing on what is actually going on in the films. They were essentially stories that had to speculate to make up for insufficient source information, and just happened to speculate incorrectly.

Clive Cussler's Raise the Titanic! (and the related film) was written years before the Titanic's remains were actually found. It portrays the ship as having sunk in one piece (not the case). And my question is... so what? Does that suddenly make the story unreadable?

As for conscription in the Empire, you might do well to notice that in the films there are reams of official positions held by guys without stormtrooper helmets and such. They just don't make up the brunt of the fighting force, because the talents of people who aren't mass produced and brainwashed can be better applied elsewhere - command, governance, industry, or just pushing buttons on a Star Destroyer.

[quote]"But I'm pretty sure that there are also conscripts. For example, luke want's to go to submit an application to 'the acadamy'. Since at that time I doubt the rebels would have an acadamy of any kind, I think it was the imperial naval acadamy."quote]
Unlikely. Luke is shown from the first to be against the Empire, as his enthusiastic reaction to C-3PO's mention of the Rebellion indicates. It is also far-fetched to say that the Rebellion has no training programme in place, though in this context, I think Luke was referring to something more local and private on Tatooine - which, may I remind you, is practically outside the jurisdiction of the Empire.

Once again, I reiterate: just because stormtroopers are clones doesn't mean that the conquered or absorbed peoples don't have anything to do. I think the Empire required an industrial workforce many, many times greater than its infantry.

Old 11-22-2002, 09:30 AM   #13
Beleg Strongbow
Truest of Friends

hmmmm... One thing I think I can clear up. First of all, IronParrot, the spoiler text refers to some information released by LucasArts in reference to one of Decipher's card games.

Next, Wayfarer said something about the imperial academy. It is said in the StarWars: A New Hope book (by GL) that Luke and Biggs planned to go to the Imperial Academy, and then jump ship and join the Rebellion. I think that's a canonical source, no?

Aure Entuleva!

Old 11-23-2002, 10:59 PM   #14
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Nope. Anything not in the existing films is wide open to future contradiction.

Secondly, the novelization of A New Hope was ghostwritten by Alan Dean Foster and published under George Lucas' name. It was only based on George Lucas' earlier drafts of the script (i.e. Jabba the Hutt is a man, not a blob, and Luke is in Blue Squadron, not Red). Furthermore, the novelizations also referred to earlier drafts of ROTJ that made reference to Owen being Obi-Wan's brother and such.

As for the Decipher cards, they really don't amount to anything outside of the game itself. A fun game, by the way - though I never really got into it because like all CCGs, after a couple expansions, the amount of new rules added just made the whole thing convoluted.

Any source outside the movies has practically no bearing on the movies themselves. In years of debating this topic, the most significant example anyone could ever provide me that something from the merchandise leaked into the films was the name of the Capitol, Coruscant - and even that is just a name, not a plot point or character trait or anything.

It should once again be noted that Episode III's script probably isn't even finished yet, and we can expect even further changes to it before shooting begins next summer.

Old 02-01-2003, 04:39 AM   #15
jimbo
Sapling

it will be crap

Legolas Rules and Frodo lives!
jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 12:59 AM   #16
The Ben
Really Smelly Orc

Quote:
Originally posted by jimbo
it will be crap
NNNNNOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not a star wars animated seiries based on one of the movies!!
Old 07-10-2003, 03:13 PM   #17
gollum9630
Canadian Guy.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by IronParrot
Quote:
"But I'm pretty sure that there are also conscripts. For example, luke want's to go to submit an application to 'the acadamy'. Since at that time I doubt the rebels would have an acadamy of any kind, I think it was the imperial naval acadamy."quote]
Unlikely. Luke is shown from the first to be against the Empire, as his enthusiastic reaction to C-3PO's mention of the Rebellion indicates. It is also far-fetched to say that the Rebellion has no training programme in place, though in this context, I think Luke was referring to something more local and private on Tatooine - which, may I remind you, is practically outside the jurisdiction of the Empire.

in the battle against the first death star, wasnt one of Lukes wing men an old friend of his who went and joined the academy. I think his name was Wedge

edit: fixing a mistake

Wierd Harry Potter quotes

the old nintendo duck hunt game

Lemmings

Swron

Random Homer Simpson Quotes

Last edited by gollum9630 : 07-12-2003 at 01:37 PM.
gollum9630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 10:13 PM   #18
The Ben
Really Smelly Orc

Quote:
Originally posted by gollum9630
in the battle against the first star destroyer, wasnt one of Lukes wing men an old friend of his who went and joined the academy. I think his name was Wedge
What star destroyer?

Last edited by The Ben : 08-04-2003 at 10:53 PM.
The Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 01:36 PM   #19
gollum9630
Canadian Guy.

Quote:
Originally posted by The Ben
What star destroyer?

oops, meant death star, my mistake

Wierd Harry Potter quotes

the old nintendo duck hunt game

Lemmings

Swron

Random Homer Simpson Quotes
gollum9630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 10:55 PM   #20
The Ben
Really Smelly Orc

Quote:
Originally posted by gollum9630
oops, meant death star, my mistake

Oh well. good thing i caught you then eh?