Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The One Ring Musical
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-01-2001, 03:19 AM   #21
Elven Warrior Maiden
Hobbit

I'll get them to hama.

Musing.....never been overseas before.

If you truly mean that, I'll never complain about not having my own Lord of the Rings books again. I'll get my dad to print it out (I don't know how) I'll like to see his reaction. Keep in mind I'm a very gullible and suspicius person(stange combination)

I'm answering you everywhere, and I hope your not getting confused.
Elven Warrior Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2001, 06:11 PM   #22
hama

Well rest assured that if there was anything untoward or sinister in my invitation, I would not have extended it to your parents. I hope they feel free to read anything and everything I write here.
hama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2001, 11:26 PM   #23
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

I wish you the best of luck getting this produced. I've worked in theater since I was six, and I think it's a great way to express great ideas, like the LOTR books. (Oh...and PLEASE try to arrange for the tour to come to Milwaukee or Chicago...'cause I REALLY want to see it!)
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2001, 11:31 PM   #24
Elven Warrior Maiden
Hobbit

I haven't been able to get my parents on to look yet, but when they have some spare time I will. I want them to read it. I really liked it, and so will they, because they were the ones who introduced me to the books anyway.

Sorry if I insulted you with my suspisions. It's just that when I asked if it was coming to Brisbane, I didn't expect to be given an invitation to the premiere.

When I told my parents, (they haven't seen yet) I'm not sure if they belived me. Other reactions were my younger brother and sister asking if they can go too, and my older sister calling me a name we're not allowed to put on this forum.

Hope you will still answer me.
Old 10-02-2001, 07:54 PM   #25
hama

No I was not insulted at all. I have two teenage children and I would certainly want to know if some stranger on the internet was inviting them anywhere, much less a foreign country.

Renille, thank you for your encouraging words. Congratulations on your work in theater. I am envious. BTW, if we do get produced you can rest assured that Chicago is a given.
Old 10-03-2001, 05:41 AM   #26
Elven Warrior Maiden
Hobbit

(Does everyone on this site live in America?!?)

Sorry, I had to ask that

Everyone here seems older then me to!

I'll write down what you wrote hama, so I can keep annoying you about it and reminding you, 'cause I'm sure you're telling the truth now. (sorry) You said you've written the script five times, and are still going over it? I have a question: What parts so far have you had to change the most, in the latest draft?
Old 10-03-2001, 10:35 PM   #27
hama

What have I changed the most? That's an interesting question and can be interpreted a couple of different ways. The biggest change to the script came in the first re-write. I originally envisioned The One Ring as an operatic or sung-through musical like Les Miz or Phantom. However, after the first read-through of the script it became clear that there was simply too much information of plot and characters to convey in that format. I was spending too much time fitting meter and rhyme schemes while also trying to tell the story. So the biggest change was re-writing the script as a conventional "book" musical ie., spoken dialogue with songs at key points of the script. I also cut out a lot of scenes and characters shinking the script from 250 pages to 130 (which will probably be cut down another dozen or so.) and from 28 scenes to 16.

The biggest change I made from the books is that I cut out Saruman and the Destruction of Isengard. In my version, after the breaking of the fellowship Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas go to Edoras to seek aid in their search. They meet Eomer on their way there and are re-united with Gandalf, Merry and Pippin. Ah but how to get The Palantir into the hands of Pippin so that he is revealed to Sauron and then into the hands of Aragorn. Well, Halbarad comes to Edoras in search of Aragorn and finds him there instead of outside Isengard. Treebeard has given the Palantir to Halbarad after the Ents have destroyed Isengard, to take to Gandalf. Pippin then steals the Palantir and the plot follows roughly along the lines of the book.

This cuts out Saruman (too many characters would confuse the audience) and a significant amount of action which in the final analysis I felt wasn't essential to the ultimate plot line of the story. It also cuts out the Battle at Helms Deep which I never could feel comfortable could be adequately re-enacted on stage.

I hope this at least partially answers your question.
Old 10-04-2001, 03:13 AM   #28
Elven Warrior Maiden
Hobbit

How are you going to make the Ents on stage?

Or don't you actually see them, just Halbarad as a messenger from them?
Old 10-04-2001, 09:21 PM   #29
hama

No you don't see the Ents on stage. I don't think there is any way to properly convey them on stage. Perhaps someone with more imagination than I have such as a Julie Taymor (Best known for The Lion King) could pull it off. Once again, if I had felt the scene was essential to the plot I probably would have put more effort into trying to solve the problem. I really want to avaid the show taking on the look of an animated cartoon brought to life.
Old 10-06-2001, 12:02 AM   #30
Elven Warrior Maiden
Hobbit

When I read what was basically in each scene, in the very last one, it said that Frodo comforts Sam, then sails to the Grey Havens. Does he go to the Shire first, then go? Does Arwen give him the white jeweled chain, for him to go over for her as well as himself?
Old 10-06-2001, 11:07 PM   #31
hama

No, Frodo does not go to the Grey Havens...There is no scouring of the Shire. Elrond, Arwen, Galidriel, Glorfindel and Bilno come to Minas Tirith after the Coronation of Aragorn and that is where it becomes apparent that Frodo and Bilbo will be sailing off to the lands beyond the western sea. As far as Arwen giving Frodo the chain, yes that will be handled with a bit of stage bisness but no dialogue.
Old 11-21-2001, 02:04 AM   #32
hama

Are you still out there Serena...or are you so upset at the fact that I cut out the Scouring of the Shire that you're not talking to me anymore?
Old 11-21-2001, 02:08 PM   #33
Ben
Retired Ent

I've tried to reach you via Private Message and Email, but that doesn't seem to be working so I'll ask it here...

Are you still planning on attending Entmoot 2001 in December?

If so, do you think we could do some sort of One Ring Musical-related event? (Perhaps a read-through of some of the script, for example). I think that would be fun, and increase awareness of the musical.

formerly known in the forums as bmilder

Owner of The Tolkien Trail and Entmoot.

Buy Entmoot shirts and mugs!
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2001, 06:25 PM   #34
hama

Ben,

I always forget to check my PM's...not that there have been alot. I got your e-mail and you should have a reply by now. Also, did you get my e-mail with attachment?

I do hope to attend the Entmoot. I am still finalizing my schedule for December. I think a reading of a few scenes would be a great idea and if it looks like I am going to make it, let's talk about who you might suggest who would be good from the members and/or some alternative selection process.

Thanks, Brad
Old 01-03-2002, 07:39 PM   #35
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Well, hama, I certainly wish you luck in your eandeavor. Personally, musicals make me skin crawl, but that's just me. I'm glad to hear you're so far along with your project. Hoping for a Tony for you...
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2002, 01:27 AM   #36
hama

Musicals make you skin crawl? There are so many wonderful musicals...please elaborate on your comment.
Old 01-04-2002, 01:00 PM   #37
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Let's see...."Cats", "The Music Man", "West Side Story", "The Sound of Music", "Showboat", "Porgy and Bess", anything with Nelson Eddy, anything with Ethel Merman, the broadway version of "The Producers" [isn't that one a musical now?], "Fiddler on the Roof", "Yenta", "Phantom", "Starlight Express", "One Mo' Time" [my friend John Stell was in that one], "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Yawn", the singing parts of "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum", anything with Barbra Streisand, etc etc etc. I just can't stand 'em. First time someone starts to sing, I switch the channel or walk out of the theater. But that's just me.

Actually, the only musical/opera stuff I can stomach would be the original recording of "Jesus Christ Superstar" or the original London cast of "Evita".

Musicals just ain't my bag of tea, hama, but like I said, I certainly wish you luck in your project. There are a heck of a lot of folks out there who just love musicals, and if one of them will introduce some of them to Tolkien's world, then fair play to you!

Best wishes to you and your company...
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
Old 01-04-2002, 11:24 PM   #38
hama

Fair enough Bropous,

I cannot argue with such an informed distaste of musicals. While you do not mention any of my favorites, your's is no kneejerk reaction against the art form.

I also appreciate your obviously sincere well wishes for The One Ring and our success. It is my hope as well that The One Ring introduces thousands to Tolkien's works.

Btw...Cats and Ethel Merman make my skin crawl as well.
Old 01-05-2002, 12:40 AM   #39
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Well met, hama my friend! Sincere best wishes.
Old 01-06-2002, 10:40 PM   #40
Arwen Undomiel
Sapling

Musical? They are coming out with a musical? I wonder if it is going to be any good?