Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-18-2008, 01:01 PM   #1
Belwen_of_nargothrond
Enting

High Elf Kings

I was just curious. I heard that Gil-Galad ruled as the High King of the Noldor for 3500 years. I'm curious to know how long did Fingolfin rule? And Fingon? and Turgon? Does anyone know?
Old 05-19-2008, 05:06 PM   #2
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

NoloFinwe/Fingolfin was high king of the the noldor for five Valian years (fifty years of the sun) in Aman and was High King of the Noldor in Beleriand for 448 years.
Fingon for 27 years
Turgon for 39 years
"Mighty are the Ainur, and mightiest among them is Melkor, but that he may know, and all the Ainur, that I am Iluvatar, those things that ye have sung, I will show them forth, ... And thou, Melkor, shalt see that no theme may be played that hath not its uttermost source in me,"
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 05:21 PM   #3
Curufin
The Ñoldóran

Quote:
NoloFinwe/Fingolfin was high king of the the noldor for five Valian years (fifty years of the sun) in Aman
This is quite debatable - can he be said to have been High King of the Noldor when Finwë was alive? I say no. He may have ruled in Finwë's stead, but in a sort of 'steward' position. If he were High King of the Noldor already, Maedhros would not have had to renounce his claim upon Fingon rescuing him. Also, until this point, Fëanor was never disinherited, so upon Finwë's death, the Kingship would have passed to him, as Eldest of the House of Finwë. The Valar never did anything to affect Fëanor's place in the succession - it says that in The Shibboleth of Fëanor:

Quote:
nothing in the judgement of the Valar in any way impaired Fëanor's position and rights as his [Finwë's] eldest son.
Also, if Fingolfin had somehow become high king after Finwë's (voluntary) exile to Formenos, this passage would make no sense whatsoever:

Quote:
Fingolfin prefixed the name Finwë to Nolofinwë before the Exiles reached Middle-earth. This was in pursuance of his claim to be the chieftain of all the Ñoldor after the death of Finwë, and so enraged Fëanor that it was no doubt one of the reasons for his treachery in abandoning Fingolfin and stealing away with all the ships.
(Also from The Shibboleth of Fëanor)

Personally, I would mark Fingolfin's kingship as beginning in Y.S. 5, after Maedhros abdicates to him, making Fëanor's line 'The Dispossessed'.

And there's also debate on whether a Valian year is 9, 10, or 144 years.

~The Lay of Leithian
Curufin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 05:37 PM   #4
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufin
This is quite debatable - can he be said to have been High King of the Noldor when Finwë was alive? I say no. He may have ruled in Finwë's stead, but in a sort of 'steward' position.
or Viceroy, but whatever the title, he had the power.
Quote:
And there's also debate on whether a Valian year is 9, 10, or 144 years.
Yep, but the only Annals of Aman we have that gives start and end dates for his rule, 1490 and 1495*, uses the 10 for 1 bit.

*note that I end his rule with the rebellion of the Noldor and the return of Feanor.
"Mighty are the Ainur, and mightiest among them is Melkor, but that he may know, and all the Ainur, that I am Iluvatar, those things that ye have sung, I will show them forth, ... And thou, Melkor, shalt see that no theme may be played that hath not its uttermost source in me,"

Last edited by Lefty Scaevola : 05-19-2008 at 06:26 PM.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:40 PM   #5
Curufin
The Ñoldóran

He may have had the power, but I still say the actual kingship was in dispute until Maedhros abdicated.

~The Lay of Leithian
Old 05-20-2008, 03:45 PM   #6
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

It was your senior borther who said:
"A king is he that can hold his own, or else his title is vain. Thingol does but grant us lands where his power does not run."
Meaning the kingship is with the power, or at a minimum, that those without power, such as the exiles at Formenos, are not kings, save over Formenos.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:39 AM   #7
Curufin
The Ñoldóran

That could be interpreted that way, or they could just be ragging on Thingol.

~The Lay of Leithian
Old 05-21-2008, 06:18 AM   #8
Belwen_of_nargothrond
Enting

Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufin View Post
That could be interpreted that way, or they could just be ragging on Thingol.
Hilarious
Old 05-21-2008, 08:54 AM   #9
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

How do you 'pwned' in Qenya?