Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-19-2003, 09:02 PM   #1
macmico
Hobbit

sir ian spills beans

i have just seen an interview with sir ian mckellen on a chat show we have here in the uk.
he says that we can expect more gandalf scences, the input of sarumans scenes and a running time of up to 5hours from the EE of rotk.

he also says that there are two production companies battling for the rights of the hobbit and that when either one is in a position they will approach pj. he also says that he will be very dissapointed if he himself isnt approached to play gandalf(that makes two of us)

he also said that the biggest factor in him getting the part of gandalf and beating high competition such as antony hopkins and sean connery was that pj wanted to cast someone who in the eyes of the fans would become gandalf, and not have the actor be bigger than the character.

(sorry if that bit was in the wrong forum) (about the hobbit)
Old 12-19-2003, 09:04 PM   #2
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Wow 5 hours! Heck maybe we will get to see the Scouring of the Shire, lol...
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 04:21 AM   #3
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
sir ian spills beans
Oh dear, such a mess.

Seriously, 5 hours??? That's quite a DVD...or three...O.O

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 11:40 AM   #4
Varda Oiolosseo
Tea Bag Queen

ooooooooh i saw that show too!!!

Yeah 5 hours!!! I couldn't believe it!! And he also said that all the Saruman scenes that were cut out will be in (i thought they would be anyway) but 5 hours!!!!! I can't wait!!
Varda Oiolosseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 06:39 PM   #5
Gulio, Strength of Many
Lover of all things orange and cheesy

*insert high-pitched, girlish shriek here* Five hours!!!! Wahoo!!!! *grabs popcorn and Gimli mug* Can't wait!!! Hopefully there will be the Scouring of the Shire, the Black Breath scene, and more Faramir/Eowyn. In the movie, they looked a teach other at Aragorn's coronation, and that was IT!!!

It was like the Manifest Destiny all over again, except, instead of taking and consuming everything in their paths for God, they did so with the same fervor and sense of entitlement for their new god... themselves.

If you want to know more about Jesus, have a prayer need, or want to talk about anything, PM me.
Gulio, Strength of Many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 08:19 PM   #6
Elf Girl
Lurker

Quote:
Originally posted by Dúnedain
Wow 5 hours! Heck maybe we will get to see the Scouring of the Shire, lol...
It was never shot, remember?
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 09:00 PM   #7
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Maybe they'll have Aragorn and Arwen's wedding. Ironic that that didn't make the movie. Arwen had so many made up scenes and they didn't put in her best real one.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 09:54 PM   #8
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Elf Girl
It was never shot, remember?
I am still of the theory that it was, being what we saw in the Mirror of Galadriel. No one has still proven that to be wrong, even when I've read things saying it wasn't filmed, but clearly when they have BagEnd burnt up and stuff like that, to me that's the Scouring
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 03:10 AM   #9
anduin
Entwife

i use to think that, but then again they could have filmed that bit just for the mirror scene. they had to dismantel the set at some point, perhaps they burned it down and filmed it as they did so...just to be a part of the mirror scene.

glad to hear about the possiblity of a 5 hour extended ROTK. thanks for the info.
To hear the softly spoken magic spells.

anduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 10:57 AM   #10
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

Quote:
Originally posted by Dúnedain
I am still of the theory that it was, being what we saw in the Mirror of Galadriel. No one has still proven that to be wrong, even when I've read things saying it wasn't filmed, but clearly when they have BagEnd burnt up and stuff like that, to me that's the Scouring
I know, that's what I was thinking. How could that be shown and have the Shire be ok? Unless, the mirror was showing what might come to pass should Frodo fail in his quest.
I think I have read that PJ did not like the Scouring in the books, therefore he didn't want to shoot it, but that could be a rumor.
I hope it will be included in the extended. That would be so awesome, seeing the little hobbits save their homes.

Did you say 5 hours?! Wohoo!

Wanna play? www.thievesguild.com
Elvengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 07:39 PM   #11
macmico
Hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Elvengirl
I know, that's what I was thinking. How could that be shown and have the Shire be ok? Unless, the mirror was showing what might come to pass should Frodo fail in his quest.
I think I have read that PJ did not like the Scouring in the books, therefore he didn't want to shoot it, but that could be a rumor.
I hope it will be included in the extended. That would be so awesome, seeing the little hobbits save their homes.

Did you say 5 hours?! Wohoo!
although he may not have liked it i think it was a very important part. it shows that the istari are actually spirits from the west. i dont know i think some of the faults in the movies all come down to different interpretations of the story. i guess everyone relates in their own way
Old 12-21-2003, 07:50 PM   #12
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

I think it is an important part as well and it should be included in the films.

Old 12-21-2003, 08:11 PM   #13
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

PJ says he didn't like the scouring in the book on the TTT EE DVD. That's why I believe there is no hope that we'll ever see it.
Old 12-21-2003, 08:14 PM   #14
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

There's always hope

Old 12-21-2003, 08:19 PM   #15
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

There was never much hope, only a fool's hope.
Old 12-21-2003, 08:29 PM   #16
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Well, what do your hearts tell you?

Last edited by Falagar : 12-21-2003 at 08:36 PM.
Falagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 08:57 PM   #17
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

That Frodo is alive.....er I mean that there WILL BE a Scouring.

Old 12-21-2003, 09:03 PM   #18
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

We shall se the scouring again!

(my jokes are getting worse and worse)
Old 12-21-2003, 10:16 PM   #19
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

yes, precious we shall see the scouring, yes, yes we musts, mustn't we?

lol mine are not any better

Old 12-21-2003, 10:21 PM   #20
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Quote:
Originally posted by Falagar
We shall se the scouring again!

(my jokes are getting worse and worse)
HEY! That's a good one!

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote