Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entmoot Archive
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-28-2004, 07:44 PM   #1
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Candidate Open House

Here is an open house where all candidates (presidential and non-presidential alike) can make speeches, answer questions, and chat with their supporters. All Mooters are welcome to post and ask questions! It's an informal, friendly setting, with tea and scones provided by the Teacup Cafe. (Random plug )

Take a seat, help yourself to refreshments, and feel free to ask questions!

(By the way, sorry about the presidential debate thread thing, I'm moving all my posts here.)
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Old 02-28-2004, 07:48 PM   #2
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

[originally in the other thread]

Actually, I hope all Mooters post here, everyone should be allowed to ask questions of the candidates IMO.

Speaking of which, Hectorberlioz, Falagar, and I have restructured our campaign. Falagar and I have withdrawn, and fully support Hectorberlioz for President.

Our full team includes:

Hectorberlioz - President
Nurvingiel - Vice President
Falagar - Minister of Internal Affairs
Twista - Minister of Foreign Affairs
Artanis - Minister of Culture

If Hector is elected President, the other people listed will be appointed to those positions. Our platform will be complete shortly, and our signatures will be updated appropriately.

Though I'm running on Hector's slate (is that the right term?), I'll still answer your questions.

Quote:
How do you feel that Tolkien's ‘Lord of the Rings’ has effected your life?
I love "Lord of the Rings" and it has affected my life positively and subtly, in different ways:
- provinding a source of excellent quotes and anecdotes for almost any situation
- causing me to be known as a geek for the fairly frequent use of the aforementioned quotes and anecdotes
- causing me to be glad I'm known as a Tolkien geek, and identify myself as a Tolkienite
- providing me access to a wonderful on-line community devoted to Tolkien's works (that's Entmoot! )

Quote:
If you could meet Mr. Tolkien in real life, what would you say and do?
(Ahem, that's Professor Er, not to be anal.) I would say that I'm honoured to meet him, and I love his works. I'd also ask him to autograph one of my books (The Silmarillion maybe, I can't decide). If I could overcome my awe, I would ask him what Middle-earth means to him.
Quote:
How many of Tolkien’s books have you read? Please give the titles.
The Hobbit
The Lord of the Rings
The Silmarillion
Farmer Giles of Ham and the Adventures of Tom Bombadil (these two works were published as one book, as well as being 2 of 4 stories in "Tales from the Perilous Realm".)
(Plans to read: The other two stories in "Tales of the Perilous Realm", which I now have, and "Roverandom". Stupid real life.)
Quote:

If some one were crossing the street with a book titled 'Bored of the Rings', what would be your reaction? Would you:
H: other
I would smile, and rejoice at my terrific eye sight. I can read book titles from 15 meters away!
EDIT 2: Actually, I think I misread your question. My reaction would be, "What is 'Bored of the Rings'? That sounds like a Tolkien parody, but why is he bored? Tolkien isn't boring at all, I love reading Tolkien. Sould I read "Roverandom" now, or finish "Dune" first? Or maybe start "Leaf by Niggle"... and continue on this book train of thought.
Quote:
Lets say you've just gotten home from work, and it's been a hard day. Your boss threw up all over your report, your dog was lying dead across the little 'welcome' rug when you got home, and your radio is broken and is playing rap music non-stop. The only release from your torture is the little 'Sting' replica hanging on your wall. What would you do?
I would go out to my backyard with my Sting replica and pretend I was Bilbo fighting the giant spiders in Mirkwood. Blissful escape into Tolkien's wonderful world is the perfect way to relax for a while!
EDIT 3: That would be after I bury my dog. Oops.
Quote:
How do you feel about the new editions of Lord of the Rings coming out with sad little pictures from the movies plastered all over the cover?
Book covers aren't terribly important - my copy of "The Return of the King" is very battered, and my parents gave me the black-covered edition of "The Silmarillion" for Christmas. (The black-cover single circle type.) Though I feel that the artwork on the original books is nicer, the most important thing is the words themselves.

EDIT: I forgot to answer the first three questions, and then I accidentally hit "Reset Message". Aaaargh!
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:

Last edited by Nurvingiel : 02-28-2004 at 08:14 PM.
Old 02-28-2004, 11:33 PM   #3
Lady Ravyn
Thief Queen of Entmoot

Nazgul

ah HA! so this is what you were talking about!

those are pretty good answers, nurv!
tell, me: what is it about LotR that first drew you in? (i don't know if we're allowed to ask questions, but i thought maybe we were supposed to or something...yeah...)

Proud Member of the Evil Mooters and upstanding citizen of the Planet Bob!

And all you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be...

My Space!

Cynicism is what happens when a person opens their eyes; stops blinking in the sun, and starts wondering "why". Question everything, believe only that which you yourself deem true. Go ahead- Call me cynical.
Old 02-29-2004, 12:08 AM   #4
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

All wrong Lady! All wrong!

You didn't cross your legs and smile politely when you said that. You must ALWAYS cross your legs and smile pilotely when asking questions like that!
Old 02-29-2004, 01:28 AM   #5
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Lol Tessar

What first drew me in about LotR is that my dad read it to my brother and I when we were about 10 and 11. He's great at reading aloud (he did all the voices well, especially Shagrat and Gorbag), and LotR is such a magical story. He'd read about a chapter a night, and we were just enthralled. I read it myself later, and was hooked ever since.
Quote:
Old 02-29-2004, 05:57 PM   #6
Twista
Orodruin's Flame

Hello there. I'd just like to indroduce myself then. If you didnt see above i am acually running for 'Foreign Affairs Minister' in this campaign, and hence forth will deal with all outside issues if we are elected. The first thing i would like to annouce is what you may call our party. ( That Being Hector, Falagar, Nurv, Myself and Artanis ). Anyway, from now on we will be known as:

"The Council of Entmoot"

We thought it was quite fitting lol. Ill be releasing my various ideas for my party in the Election process, and what ill do for you all if we get elected.

Thanks!

Visit the Ye Olde Avatar Shop and The New One

Dont tell me what I cannot do

Two men are on a Island, they both see a "monster", one sees a bright light, and the other sees a dark cloud

My name bares no reference to the music artist.
Old 02-29-2004, 06:20 PM   #7
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

i think you made a good choice for consolidating the platform
Old 02-29-2004, 06:26 PM   #8
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Why thank you Brownie.

We really like the "Trilogy", but it doesn't work now that there's five of us. We feel this combination of members and positions is the best.
Quote:
Old 02-29-2004, 06:32 PM   #9
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

yep... and quintogy doesn't exactly roll of the tongue
Old 02-29-2004, 08:37 PM   #10
BeardofPants
the Shrike

This is directed the the Council of Elr- er.. I mean Entmoot: How do you justify employing someone who can't seem to spell or use the caps lock as your Foreign Affairs Minister, and representative of Tolkien? This is a sacrilege! I want... No I DEMAND answers!
Old 02-29-2004, 09:16 PM   #11
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

How?

How?!

HOW?!

HOW?!?!?!

That's a good question.

How do you justify that?
Old 02-29-2004, 10:39 PM   #12
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Are you referring to Twista or me? I don't think the occasional misspelled word, or misuse of the shift key is a crime against nature.

Twista, of course, would be an excellent Foreign Affairs Minister due to his friendly and outgoing nature, and his strong desire to make Entmoot known to potential Mooters not yet joined.
Quote:
Old 03-01-2004, 12:42 AM   #13
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I am refering to the Minister of Foreign affairs which would be Twista, and I suspect that Tolkien would beg to differ. Is this the sort of candidate you want to be representing a respected author and philologist?
Old 03-01-2004, 02:29 AM   #14
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Oh dear, I don't even know what a philologist is!

Well yes! Tolkien is a genius, not anal retentive. The important thing is the spirit and intent of his words. If spelling is the only criticism of him, then obviously he's the ideal candidate!
Quote:
Old 03-01-2004, 03:05 AM   #15
Drgnslyer
Elven Warrior

*proudly strides into the open house holding a standard reading "Hector for President...heartily tolkien obsessed, on behalf of all mooters"*

Don't mind me, i'll just stand here in the front of the room holding this pretty standard....

Think before you act, but act before it's too late.

He is a man of sense who does not grieve for what he has not, but rejoices in what he has.

You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims.

The Utopian Oldschool Champ.
http://games.swirve.com/utopia
www.Orderofavalon.com
Old 03-01-2004, 03:06 AM   #16
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Huzzah! Hurray for Hector!
And there was much rejoicing!
Quote:
Old 03-01-2004, 03:21 AM   #17
Drgnslyer
Elven Warrior

*raises the banner and waves it back and forth, trying to rally the crowd*

Think before you act, but act before it's too late.

He is a man of sense who does not grieve for what he has not, but rejoices in what he has.

You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims.

The Utopian Oldschool Champ.
http://games.swirve.com/utopia
www.Orderofavalon.com
Old 03-01-2004, 06:55 AM   #18
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

Update on debate results:

Quote:
All newspapers open the week with the results of a large audience poll that reflects how the mooters are seeing this interesting debate.

"The lazyness of the candidates puts out the mooters" is the large front title of The Entmoot Guardian.

The Derndingle Tribune chooses a more aggressive view of the situation: "Tessar's incisive questioning knocks out two"

The Daily Mirrormere, shares this view, but it's more explicit: "Fal and Nurv beaten and scattered"

"Chickens" is The Arien's take on the withdrawal of the two candidates and on the lazyness of the rest.

But it's The Daily Elen which perhaps has summarized best the audience's opinion: "Tessar for President"
Old 03-01-2004, 08:30 AM   #19
Twista
Orodruin's Flame

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
I am refering to the Minister of Foreign affairs which would be Twista, and I suspect that Tolkien would beg to differ. Is this the sort of candidate you want to be representing a respected author and philologist?
OK what is your problem with me? Just because i have problems with spelling you abuse me and generally being not a very nice person in my opinion. Have i done something to annoy you in the past?

Visit the Ye Olde Avatar Shop and The New One

Dont tell me what I cannot do

Two men are on a Island, they both see a "monster", one sees a bright light, and the other sees a dark cloud

My name bares no reference to the music artist.
Old 03-01-2004, 09:35 AM   #20
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Mwahahah!

Good one FM!

*runs to the magazine store to buy papers*