Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2003, 11:04 AM   #1
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

Peter Jackson is God

I have now seen TTT seven times (and counting) and with each viewing I find myself more and more in awe of the work of Peter Jackson and his incredible crew. They have taken a great story and transformed it into a set of film classics for the ages.

While everyone is entitled to their opinions, the criticisms that I've read here of the movies are without merit. The only real problem is time--it's a three hour movie that still feels rushed, particularly at the conclusion. But this will no doubt be addressed when another 50 minutes is added to the Extended DVD.

I can understand how Tolkien Purists might be taken aback by some of the changes in the movie. They caught me by surprise too. But the bottom line is: THEY WORK. Watching the movie again, you can't help but appreciate the fact that they were brilliantly conceived and really enhance the overall emotional themes of Tolkien's work. And THAT is what is really important in any movie adaption of a beloved book.

Bravo to Peter Jackson. Thanks to PJ, Frodo and Company will be alive and well for countless generations of video-viewers to come.
Old 01-12-2003, 11:21 AM   #2
Sween
im quite stupid

Re: Peter Jackson is God

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Breathalizer
I have now seen TTT seven times (and counting) and with each viewing I find myself more and more in awe of the work of Peter Jackson and his incredible crew. They have taken a great story and transformed it into a set of film classics for the ages.

While everyone is entitled to their opinions, the criticisms that I've read here of the movies are without merit. The only real problem is time--it's a three hour movie that still feels rushed, particularly at the conclusion. But this will no doubt be addressed when another 50 minutes is added to the Extended DVD.

I can understand how Tolkien Purists might be taken aback by some of the changes in the movie. They caught me by surprise too. But the bottom line is: THEY WORK. Watching the movie again, you can't help but appreciate the fact that they were brilliantly conceived and really enhance the overall emotional themes of Tolkien's work. And THAT is what is really important in any movie adaption of a beloved book.

Bravo to Peter Jackson. Thanks to PJ, Frodo and Company will be alive and well for countless generations of video-viewers to come.
honest to god boy if PJ just puit a lump of clay on the screen for 3 hours and occasionaly shouted gandalf at it you would still love it.

tell me BB dop we have a life sized pic of PJ's rear end which we kiss each night?
Old 01-12-2003, 11:41 AM   #3
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

Re: Re: Peter Jackson is God

Quote:
Originally posted by Sween
tell me BB do we have a life sized pic of PJ's rear end which we kiss each night?
haha!

sween, have i told you lately how much i love you?
Old 01-12-2003, 11:42 AM   #4
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I think he's (BB) trying to flirt with BoP...
Old 01-12-2003, 12:29 PM   #5
Sminty_Smeagol
Manic Cardboard-Box Dweller

*licks peter jackson's feet* BLESS MY CROPS OH MIGHTY ONE!
Old 01-12-2003, 12:51 PM   #6
Blackboar
Legolas's beloved sister and Queen of the Wood Elves of Mirkwood

Location: Under the hill at Bag-end, Hobbiton the Shire Or Rivendell,I can't remember!!!!!!!!!!
I LOVE your sig!! Its so good!! I cracked up reading it
Old 01-12-2003, 01:19 PM   #7
Elf.Freak
Orli's lil fan

Blackboar! you have the Lembas commercial in your sig!

oh yeah! on subject...saying PJ is God...talk about over-obsessive! sure, i like the movies, but they'll be way better if PJ stuck to the book! i used to think that PJ did a good job with LOTR, but when i found out that he's
cutting out Cirith Ungol
>_< (that's my favourite part!).

so i wouldn't say PJ is so great now
~
I've gotta new avatar! looks kinda like me...anime style!
~
LOST: Orlando Bloom. If found, please send him straight to Elf.Freak
Old 01-12-2003, 01:23 PM   #8
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
When did he say he was cutting THAT? It's critical to the story!
Old 01-12-2003, 01:27 PM   #9
Elf.Freak
Orli's lil fan

i heard it Here

::Message to Blackboar::

i tried to send you a message, but it said that your message box is too full! if you can, clear it out so i can send you the message!
~
I've gotta new avatar! looks kinda like me...anime style!
~
LOST: Orlando Bloom. If found, please send him straight to Elf.Freak
Old 01-12-2003, 01:28 PM   #10
Blackboar
Legolas's beloved sister and Queen of the Wood Elves of Mirkwood

Location: Under the hill at Bag-end, Hobbiton the Shire Or Rivendell,I can't remember!!!!!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally posted by Elf.Freak
Blackboar! you have the Lembas commercial in your sig!

oh yeah! on subject...saying PJ is God...talk about over-obsessive! sure, i like the movies, but they'll be way better if PJ stuck to the book! i used to think that PJ did a good job with LOTR, but when i found out that he's
cutting out Cirith Ungol
>_< (that's my favourite part!).

so i wouldn't say PJ is so great now
I love that part of FotR!!

Anyway,
Quote:
Oringinally posted by Starr Polish
Why did he say he was cutting out THAT? Its critical to the story!
AND he's cutting out the Scoring of the Shire If he's a god then I say he is Hades!!
Well, he is good at some things.
Old 01-12-2003, 01:28 PM   #11
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Re: Peter Jackson is God

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Breathalizer

I agree and I am glad there is at least one person here that has the same feelings as I do. I am a huge fan of the books, however, like he said, the way the movies have been done, THEY WORK! I find it funny also that some people are complaining about scenes that "have been cut" that still might be in RotK. Get over it people, little itty bitty parts that are great parts in the book, would plainly suck on screen. I commend the crew that made the movies, at least they had an idea to put together the world we love, and in doing so have brought in countless fans who otherwise had no idea what the heck Middle Earth is. All I see around here anymore is complaint after complaint and critique after critique, plain and simple the bottom line is the movies are a huge success and while parts of them differ from the book, you still grasp and capture the same story. The theme and point of Lord of the Rings is still delved into the movies, so if a certain part of the movie is taken out, yet the main theme still remains then I am happy and that is exactly what has happened...
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Old 01-12-2003, 01:34 PM   #12
Celebréiel
Elven Warrior

Re: Re: Peter Jackson is God

Quote:
Originally posted by Dúnedain
little itty bitty parts that are great parts in the book, would plainly suck on screen.
you still grasp and capture the same story. The theme and point of Lord of the Rings is still delved into the movies,
I cant stand it when people say that PJ isnt the end all say all, at least accept that there might have been some way it could have worked that PJ didnt try.
And thats just the thing...with all these changes and total killing of characters the movies really *dont* capture the theme of the books....well...maybe on some waaaay way vauge idea, but it all could have been done SOOOOO much better....IMO
~Celebréiel
Old 01-12-2003, 01:45 PM   #13
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Re: Re: Re: Peter Jackson is God

Quote:
Originally posted by Celebréiel
And thats just the thing...with all these changes and total killing of characters the movies really *dont* capture the theme of the books....well...maybe on some waaaay way vauge idea, but it all could have been done SOOOOO much better....IMO
~Celebréiel
What characters are different? Go ahead, say Faramir. Yes, he was different for a few scenes, but then he gave us the Faramir that we all know and love. Granted I didn't like the fact that he was portrayed that way, however, he still showed who he really is in the end. He still showed that letting them go was more important than anything, even if his life would be "forfeit" and thus distancing himself from his brother and lending us his true character....
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Old 01-12-2003, 02:19 PM   #14
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Thank god for Sween. BB, why don't you go bury yourself in the hole that is Peter Jackson's butt?
Old 01-12-2003, 02:19 PM   #15
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

Frankly, trying to judge Movie Faramir's character after TTT is like judging Movie Boromir's character after the Mines of Moria. We're only halfway through PJ's depiction of Faramir.

My guess is that after ROTK, most people (except for maybe the Purists who hang out here) will love the Movie Faramir even more than they did Book Faramir.
Old 01-12-2003, 03:08 PM   #16
Sween
im quite stupid

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
Thank god for Sween. BB, why don't you go bury yourself in the hole that is Peter Jackson's butt?
ohh shucks im imbarrsed! I knew taking members of ur family hostagew would get you kissing my pert ass!

no LuthienTinuviel you have not told me lately how much you love me but its allways nice to know (you are a girl arnt you?)
Old 01-12-2003, 03:16 PM   #17
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

guys, this thread stays open as long as there's a discussion, and not just insults being thrown back and forth. Keep it civil, please, hard as that may be.
Old 01-12-2003, 03:19 PM   #18
Sween
im quite stupid

QUOTE]Originally posted by crickhollow
guys, this thread stays open as long as there's a discussion, and not just insults being thrown back and forth. Keep it civil, please, hard as that may be. [/QUOTE]

shut up you. lol messing (noticed u were a mod).

But we have to establish the point of this thread like all of BB it seems to be devoted to kissing PJ's ass. I mean wjhat point is he rasing apart from hge loved it and we are all entitiled to our opions that its not as good as the book but were wrong cos PJ's just so god like in sature?
Old 01-12-2003, 03:21 PM   #19
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by crickhollow
guys, this thread stays open as long as there's a discussion, and not just insults being thrown back and forth. Keep it civil, please, hard as that may be.
Yaaaaaaaay! Finally someone came in to calm down the tribes

--Linaewen
Old 01-12-2003, 03:22 PM   #20
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Sween
But we have to establish the point of this thread like all of BB it seems to be devoted to kissing PJ's ass. I mean wjhat point is he rasing apart from hge loved it and we are all entitiled to our opions that its not as good as the book but were wrong cos PJ's just so god like in sature?
He isn't saying that at all, in fact he is stating something different from the majority on this board and is getting bashed for it....

--Linaewen
Closed Thread